what's your favorite family memory from Disney?

abmitch01

DIS Veteran
mine is from when my kids were 7 & 8, at Christmas I got a box from the Disney store and put a word scramble in it that spelled out "We're Going to Disney!" and put it under the tree. My 8 yo who had a hearty appetite at the time unscrambled it as "We're Going to Denny's!" and he was actually excited, lol. When he realized it was Disney, he was jumping up and down, as was his sister.

Mine is the first time I took my DD to MK. Before we went, she would always watch youtube videos of The Little Mermaid Ride in New Fantasy Land. She would watch the youtubers walk through the cue line and watch the whole ride video over and over again. Saying to me "daddy will you take me here?" When we arrived at MK I don't think she really knew where we were (she was 3 at the time). As soon as we went to the ride she got a HUGE smile on her face and looked right at me and said " I KNEW YOU WOULD TAKE ME HERE DADDY, I JUST KNEW IT!" Talk about getting chills and teary eyed. Definitely has to be my best Disney moment.

Since I've yet to make any memories with my own family, I'll bring up two from my childhood (both involving the rain at Disney). The first is actually my profile pic; it was at MK somewhere in Liberty Square. It had started raining, and me, my sister, our mom, and our grandma were looking for cover when we saw cast members gesturing that people could go wait in this building/lobby area. Inside it was crowded, but we were surprised to see it wasn't just people-- Chip, Dale, Pluto, and Mickey were there, too! We got pictures of us (soaking wet!) with all of them.

The second memory was short, but my sister and I have never forgotten it. We were in the world showcase at Epcot, and of course, it was raining again. We had on Mickey ponchos but my sister was still getting wet sitting in the stroller. We were walking towards the park entrance when this lady dressed in a business suit (I remember thinking she must have been very important to be wearing that in the park) was walking by and approached us, giving her black mickey umbrella to my sister. We thought it was the coolest thing ever! The only bad thing afterwards was when we got home from our trip our mom took it to 'save it' and we were never able to find it again.

I don't think anything tops the look on my girls' faces when they each first rode Soarin'. For my first, she was just about 5, and my second was a month ago, at almost 9. I definitely cried both times. Full family memory would be us all on the teacups on our first full family trip when my girls were almost 3 and 5. :) We had just arrived and it was nonstop giggling.

Soooo many to choose from.. my DS has grown up on Disney. One memory that always make me smile ... when the castle was decorated like candy and my son went toddling running with his mouth open, determined to go and lick the castle.
Sooo funny n sweet

When I was 18 my dad and I got separated from the rest of my family right before Wishes. We needed up watching the whole thing on the tomorrow land bridge, just the two of us. It was a really special memory.

Then when we rejoined my mom and sisters (14, 10 and 8), I told them that as Tinkerbell flew over us she exclaimed, "Laura, may all your wishes come true!" And they believed me!!!! My youngest sister still believes that happened to me, and she's now 25!!!!

I have two and they are very similar. Both are watching the fire works at MK holding my oldest daughter ( now 7 but then 5 and 6 during our 2016 and 2017 trips). I would stand on main street near the castle and during the fire works she would just sing her little heart out at the top of her lungs and everyone around us would just laugh because it was so cute.

DS and DD folding their hands and making a wish during Wishes.

My XH carrying a sleeping DD down Main Street and to the bus stop.

DS and DD holding hands while walking to the pool at CBR.

Getting in line at PP with a 45 minute wait one night and thinking "it must be wrong. Who would wait in line for a PP ride for 45 minutes? Let's get in and I bet we will be done in less time." Thirty minutes later DD falls asleep and XH has to hold her the entire time. Then we ride and it's a 2 minute ride! LOL I still enjoy the ride and we ride it every trip.

When we picked our son up from after school care and headed to WDW (he didn't know we were going) for Christmas. He was worried what Santa would do since we weren't going to be home for Christmas day and we had a small Christmas in the hotel. Santa sent him a note telling him that most of his presents were under the tree at home when he got there. Since we left the house and he never got to it the day we left, we had put out the presents under the tree before we left. He was totally surprised to find his presents under the tree on Christmas night when we arrived home.

This last trip DD5 got to be the Texas Ranger at the Hoop De Doo Revue. I think DH is still convinced that I somehow planned that and our stage-side seats. I did not. I could not. It's just Disney Magic.

By far the most memorable experience we've had at the Disney parks are the times we spent inside the Epcot aquarium (Scuba diving). We used the family photo of the three of us inside the aquarium with the two looking in on our Christmas card that year. We were able to go again later with all the kids and myself. You also get a backstage tour of the aquarium that includes great information on how they treat the animals. It's an experience that most never get to experience. My wife has fun on the outside answer all the questions about her family diving. Use your Disney credit for a discount.

I have a dear friend who absolutely loves Disney and who for many years told me about ‘Disney Magic this and Disney Magic that’. I always knew my family of 4 would be going to the parks, but in my mind it would be once every 3-4 years. I remember telling this same friend and others that yes we would be going and yes we would have a great time (we are amusement park people), but I wasn’t going to become a Disney Dad and we would only visit once every few years. I then thought they were crazy for going as often as they did.

We finally visited DL and CA for the first time Spring Break 2015. Our first day in the park was of course DL and it could not have been a better day for all of us. A ton of nostalgia for myself and my wife, coupled with seeing the parks now through our own kid’s eyes (they were 5 and 8 at the time). We rode too many rides to count, ate a ton of goodies and got multiple autographs from characters.

I remember that first evening watching the sun setting as the kids were doing yet another character meet and greet, seeing the pure awe and joy on their faces and smiling to myself thinking ‘wow, this Disney place is pretty magical!’.

We had such an amazing trip that year we flew back and did a repeat visit exactly one year later for Spring Break 2016.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter