What's the story with River Country?

HitchhikingGhost

999 happy haunts!
I remember going to RC when I was younger, it was the first Disney water park. But it was closed all last summer and I was unable to get a 'real' answer concerning it when we were at Disney World. Does anyone have true inside info? Thank you.

I think its status right now is closed indefinitely. There have been a few rumors about what will happen, but nothing definite. Since it closed when attendance started to fall, it could open back up again if attendance improved during the hotter months. Another rumor is that it might become available only to people staying at FW, WL, and WLV. Personally, I think that would be neat, but I doubt that it's true. I've heard that Disney is never going to create any more pools similar to Stormalong Bay because it requires so many lifeguards. RC would be the same.

Each time we stayed at FW we would come home & get the questionairre in the mail. I always made the suggestion of making RC into a pool for FW guests. I just thought it would be so neat. Who knows, maybe some day they will.

Regardless, I miss RC. It was my favorite water park. My DD's are now 13, 10 & 10 & the last few times we were there DH & I could could sit on the beach & see wherever they went. You can't do that in any of the other water parks.

This is a question that I asked a little while ago myself and from what I've found out so far, the status as someone just posted is "closed indefinetly" for now. I've heard the same rumors about it maybe becoming available only to FW guests and I've also heard rumors that they may only reopen it only to CM's. But the most convincing rumor I've heard so far is that the bacteria levels in the lake area where River Country is are quite high. I don't know if this is true or not but I do know that they had a problem down here in Fla. with a deadly ameba growing in Central Fla. lakes. It killed 2 children last summer. Apparently, this deadly ameba grows in lakes with high bacteria and will give you a fatal infection if inhaled or water swallowed (which is how the 2 children got it - from 2 different lakes by the way). If there is any chance of this happening due to bacteria levels at RC, I'm sure Disney wouldn't take any chances. Personnally, I find it a major bummer if this is the case but I wouldn't want to take any chances either.

Like I said though, this is only one of the rumors I heard. I don't know it to be fact. Just makes me wonder, if maybe this is the case.

I too have heard about the amoeba. The bacterial count is very high in the WDW lakes and that is why no swimming is allowed. You could get very sick ingesting any of it.

Years ago they used to let guests venture into the water at CBR and other resorts. Now all the resorts state no swimming. CSR carefully planted foliage around the base of Lago Dorado to prevent people from getting in the water.

I, too have heard the rumors about the bacteria.

It is such a shame:( We visited RC in 2000 and the kids had a blast on the slides and playing volleyball:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter