• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

What would you say if you saw...

MickeysMommy

DIS Veteran
My dad has cancer in his back. He can't walk fo rlong distances. When we go (hopefully) in August we will be bringing a wheelchair. What would you say if you saw us wheeling him around but then he got up to go walk into a store on Main Street or into a restaurant? Mind you he does have his back brace on and he does need to get up and walk around as his back hurts from sitting too long. I'm worried that people might think he doesn't need it - I know that it doesn't matter what they think because he *does*...

He is not wheelchair bound here but it is necessary for him if we do go to WDW.

Thanks.

I wouldn't say a thing. I assume most people in wheelchairs need them, if not immobilized, at least movement impaired. Don't worry about what other people think, just do what's best for dad and have fun! :)

MickeysMommy said:
What would you say if you saw us wheeling him around but then he got up to go walk into a store on Main Street or into a restaurant?

Lots of people get up & walk at Disney. A couple of years back my wife rented an Electric Scooter (ECV) at Disney because she was waiting for a replacement hip joint and couldn't walk far. She would ride around, but park up to walk into rides or stores. No-one said a thing. Go for it!

You should also consider renting an ECV rather than pushing a wheelchair around all day. You will be less tired for not pushing, and I am sure your dad will prefer to be in control of where he goes, when he stops to look at something and when he moves foreward again,

Andrew

It is normal for a lot of folks to be quite ambulatory, but require a wheelchair or ECV for the parks...it is just TOO much walking and standing for a lot of serious conditions. My 80yo Mom is in that same situation after 3 surgeries on the same hip, we travel with our own wheelchair any place that is just too big for her to walk comfortably.

Have fun! BTW, do you like the Carribean Beach Resort??? :)

Don't worry about what people think, now i wish i had gotten some kind of something to ride in when we went in Dec. I had surgery on blocked arteries on my right leg 1 day after we got back, and the Doc. said when i went into surgery Monday morn, i had no pulse in my right foot at all. I DID A LOT OF WALKING IN A LOT OF PAIN, BUT NEVER COMPLAINED.So do what is best for your Dad!!!!!!!!!nana2tots

MickeysMommy said:
I'm worried that people might think he doesn't need it - I know that it doesn't matter what they think because he *does*...

Thanks.

There are two groups of people at the parks to consider.

One is your family. They all know that he needs it. His use of it (and I would second the comments to have him use an ECV rather than a wheelchair) will make his trip much easier and make your family's vacation much better.

The other group is everybody else. You don't know them. You have never met them before. You will never meet them again. Why should you worry about what they think. It does not matter to you or your group.

What would I say? I'd say a little prayer for him, that he can recover from his cancer, and has a wonderful vacation with his family at WDW. Don't you worry about what others say, or think! Have a wonderful time with your family!

Lots of good advice already and I agree with what everyone posted.

There are people who might make make some comment - actually we have heard some comments made when people walked by and saw my DD sitting on a bench, with her legs crossed, swinging her top leg and her wheelchair was parked next to her. She can't walk or even stand, but since she wasn't in the chair, the person thought they had the right to say she didn't need it. So, you might hear some comments, but your family knows he needs it and your opinions are the only ones that count.

I would think that your dad had limited mobility. I will be the same way in Feb when I go. I can't walk or stand for more than a few minutes at a time. Thankfully transferring from Wheelchair to restaurant or ride is only a few minutes. I would never consider trying to do Diney World without my chair. That would be just senseless in my condition.

Pax,
Chavi

I would understand, although I'm leaving for Disney World on Friday. I was born with Apert Syndrome, and it's fairly visible to the human eye, so I would always get smiles or nods from people at Disney World, when they saw me get out of my own wheelchair last year at Disney World. Plus, the other thing that would make the reason why I have to use a wheelchair, is how I have to depend on someone to hang onto, along with my cane (due to my uncoordinated balance control), and the leg brace that's on my right leg that's perfectly visible for anyone to see. And most likely will be visible if I wear Capri pants for the hot weather next week!!!

Getting Ready For The World, Samantha

Thank you all for your kind words. They have put my mind at ease. I know you can't stop people from saying something hurtful. I do hope we are able to go and if you see us :wave2: God Bless You All.

After numerous trips to WDW, last summer I hurt my back and did WDW with an ECV. I was worried what others would say or think when I got up and walked onto rides and shops. Once there however, that worry disappeared. There are many people with mobility issues at WDW. We were having so much fun, that I never thought about what people might think. It made my trip so much easier and pain free! And the others are right, you will never see these people again! Go and have fun! :wave:

I know exactly how you feel. My daughter has a brain injury from birth (pvl) but appears like a typically developing child. Her hidden disabilities have caused people to think when she is yelling or crying that she is just spoiled and they in fact tell me. They don't understand that she can't communicate by speaking, has sensory integration dysfunction, auditory processing disorder, hypotonia, etc. Last year when she was 6, I think some people stared because she was in a stroller but more would stare if she wasn't in the stroller and was insisting on sitting on the ground, jumping in epcot lake, etc. Even on the plane last year, she liked the bald head on the guy sitting in front of us and it was all I could do to distract her.

But darn't I am bringing her back again this year!! She loves it and I agree with that other poster, I will never see the rude, insecure people again.

Please get the wheelchair for your dad. Make his visit the most magical it can be! I am thinking of getting one for my mom who will be 80 because her legs have a circulation problem and she can't walk long distances.

Please make sure you get the disability pass for your dad at guest relations. I would bring your doctor's letter and explain your concerns to them.

I am praying for your dad. Remember.....WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR..MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHO YOU ARE....EVERYTHING YOUR HEART DESIRES WILL COME TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best wishes, Carolyn :love:

I wouldn't say anything. I look perfectly ok but need to use a scooter at WDW because of the long periods of standing and walking. The first few time I felt uncomfortable but now I don't. I know what my needs are and those strangers have no clue. Sometimes my son feels uncomfortable (but then he doesn't truely understand my problem either--I don't really discuss it with him). I never knew how cranky I was before I started using the scooter. Being tired and hurting and not the happy person I am in WDW normally. EVERYONE is much happier now that I am not tired or hurting when we visit.

There is no such thing as a "disability pass". Guest Services will issue a "Guest Assistance Card" (usually called GAC) which is designed for "invisible disabilities". Normally aperson in a WC or ECV will not need one. They are generally for such things as needing to stay out of bright sun, extremely poor hearing, autism, etc. If there are mobility or stamina problems only, use of WC or ECV is recommended. One this the GAC does not do is provide "front of line" access. Sometimes it will allow use of FP lines without having FP.

To get one the person with the needs must go to Guest Relations at the first park with an indication of the needs. (Be aware that a note from a doctor with a diagnoses does not have any meaning; neither does a doctor's request to bybass lines.) The GAC will be good at all four parks for the duration of the trip.

As Cheshire Figment mentioned, a Guest Assistance Card is a tool to let the CMs know what sorts of assistance is needed by people with invisible disabilities. Some of them may be ambulatory people (able to walk); some may be people with wheelchairs or scooters who have additional invisible needs.
Most of the lines (and all the fastpass lines) are wheelchair accessible. If you have a wheelchair or scooter and having it in line with you meets your needs, you don't need a GAC. (if you have a child who used a stroller or a wheelchair that could look like a stroller to a lay person, you will probably need a GAC).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter