What were they thinking in the 70s?

Why did Disney build Polynesian longhouses without 2nd floor balconies??? Does anyone know the back story?
I doubt that actual longhouses in Polynesia have balconies. They probably don’t have 2nd floors either. The longhouses I’ve seen in Hawaii don’t have either one.

But if you are Disney why would you not include 2nd floor balconies when building a resort in Florida?
Obviously, I wasn’t there, but I can speculate that they were trying to design buildings for the Polynesian Village that would resemble actual buildings on the islands of Polynesia, which don’t have balconies.

Darned if I know, but we ran afoul of that on our 2nd visit in '89 - back when we could afford to stay at the Poly. DH & I were looking forward to our lovely private balcony with a garden view.
Well, we did have a lovely view - garden, lake, and a corner of the MK -- from our 2nd floor fenced-in sliding patio door.... :scratchin

Perhaps they were saving money?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter