What we spent on Ubers

TFTwoTube

We need our magic place
Ok, so I have just had a shock......

I just looked at our statement for the 2 weeks we were away and we spent on Ubers...... $650

Wow! It is 100% cheaper to rent a car ha ha ha. Has anyone else spent a huge amount on Ubers?

Ok, so I have just had a shock......

I just looked at our statement for the 2 weeks we were away and we spent on Ubers...... $650

Wow! It is 100% cheaper to rent a car ha ha ha. Has anyone else spent a huge amount on Ubers?
With a rental car, you would also have had to pay for parking if you were an offsite guest, plus gas and tolls. Over 14 days, that could have driving the cost of renting a car up to the level of your Uber bill.

That being said, I would not have spent that kind of money on ground transportation. But I never stay for 2 straight weeks, so there's no telling what I would spend on a couple of Minnie Van trips.

yikes! I'd rather rent a car..... or take onsite buses

I know right, funny thing is we did use the buses also so........yeah, lesson learnt

WOW! That's a lot.
Were you staying on property?
We just stayed for 5 days and spent $50 on Uber. That included a ride to the airport (delayed flight so we skipped magical express).
I loved uber and can see how easy it could be to overspend using it.

how many separate trips does it take to add up to $650? We've never had an Uber at WDW cost more than $11, and that was an UberXL.

We were there earlier this month. We took the Minnie Vans twice ($17 each trip) and we used a regular Lyft to get back from Urgent care :( that cost $12. SO about $50 for three trips including one offsite to CR.

How many trips did you make that added up to $650!? Not judging. Genuinely curious!

Yikes, no way! Sorry OP but you have given everyone considering this option a very good reminder to run the math when looking at Uber vs Rental Cars. Sucks it had to be you but thank you for sharing your experience and the heads-up!

In case anyone wants an outline of how to compare Uber/Lyft and car rental:
-think through your trip and write down all the places you think you'd drive/Uber/Lyft
-plug them into the trip estimator on Uber/Lyft's website
-add it all up and then add extra for tips if you tip, it's not required but is available
-compare the price to the rental car you'd book
-if it's close rent a car because sometimes you'll want an Uber/Lyft and surge pricing will be in effect, often you can wait it out but not always so pad the Uber/Lyft a bit

Also, it can be very easy to get used to the convenience of Uber/Lyft! It is a splurge just Ubering to your hotel at the end of your day in the parks if you haven't accounted for that in your budget. It's very nice and very tempting. Want some extra sleep? Just Uber/Lyft to the park in the morning. Y'all see where this is going! If you're on a budget you need to refrain from those trips or plan out how many you will allow yourself and stick to it. If that's not you, rent the car!

It's just a very situation-specific thing. For instance, for my upcoming trip we have decided on Uber instead of a rental car. We're renting a car for a couple days to go to the Space Center but then we're turning it in before going to WDW and using Uber for WDW and Universal. We came to this conclusion mainly because we won't Uber much on site as we have an ECV in our group for the parks. We have to bus, a car wouldn't work anyway. We plan to Uber to/from airport, to/from Universal, and a couple Ubers at WDW for dinner reservations. For us it will definitely be cheaper than renting a car, but every situation is so very different. Run your own math!

When I downloaded the Lyft app, it offered me a promo of $15 off ($3 off 5 trips) and it worked on the Minnie vans!
Good to know; I may have seen a promo but I clicked on something wrong and didn't get it again.

We stayed at the AKL and used Lyft twice to get to the Beach Club (were huge Cape May Cafe fans) and spent $11 one trip and $17 another. Pricing with these things are complicated, but my understanding is that Lyft is overall cheaper.

Good to know; I may have seen a promo but I clicked on something wrong and didn't get it again.

My dh & I had neither one ever used Lyft before. We both downloaded the app while at Beach Club so we could use Lyft even if we weren't together (which ended up working well when I took one kiddo to urgent care). But anyways, he was not offered the promo and I was. So, of course, we did the Minnie vans through my app. I love that service, btw!!

WOW... I would say quite a shock!

My family visited May 11-17 and exclusively utilized Uber. Our grand total was $112.17. Rides seemed to average between $10-$20. Also, we uber'd from POR to TPA for $115. We knowingly would have saved a bit renting a car for the day; however, decided to spent more time with the kids @ MK then dealing w/ rental car process and airport return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter