What to pack for FA 13 CP

sarewil

DCP FA 2013
I know that there are packing lists and guides online but I was wondering if any current or former CP's had suggestions. I have printed a packing list and added or subtracted things that I will or will not need. Also have been in communication with my roommates so that we will not have six toasters, lol. What do/did you wish you had or hadn't brought with you.

Things I wish I would had brought:
-Extra sheets/bedding: would had saved myself time and sleep if I could throw the dirty ones in the hamper and just threw extra clean ones on.
-Water filter: Florida water out the tap just tastes weird to me. I ended up buying one.
- Coffee maker: because waking up at 3:30 am to catch the 4:11 am bus to work was nearly impossible without one. Brought one of those during my program too.
-hangers: because the local WalMart will be almost empty on arrival day because of all the CPs who forgot to buy extra too.
- hamper: a really sturdy one (maybe with a strap or with wheels) because lugging clothes down three flights of stairs to the laundry facilities and usually across the parking lot isn't easy.
-wireless router: with password. Because when your roommates make you angry, you can change the password and they won't have it :lmao: (just kidding, that's pretty mean lol)
- car (if you have one): I didn't bring one at first because I didn't want people getting to know me so I can drive them everywhere. But after my first two months there, all I knew in Orlando was the little Disney "bubble" that the buses took me in. I had a friend drive my car down to me so I could explore other sides of Orlando. Gas was pretty expensive (there is a gas station close to Longhorn/leading into Little Lake Bryan...they are ALWAYS wayyy over priced. Last month I rode by and gas was 6 bucks, I kid you not. Just a warning not to go there and to find other, cheaper stations) I still took the bus to work and things like that, but it was nice to have a back up if needed.
-Lunchbox: because eating out at work all the time gets kind of expensive.

Things I wish I hadn't brought:
-Every piece of clothing item I owned. I brought way too many clothes. I basically lived in my costume (work uniform). I ended up buying new clothes because I gained almost 20 lbs my first two months there.... :rolleyes1 eating late and going straight to sleep plus eating all that yummy Disney food can do that to you sometimes.

Good luck with your program and ENJOY!

I know that there are packing lists and guides online but I was wondering if any current or former CP's had suggestions. I have printed a packing list and added or subtracted things that I will or will not need. Also have been in communication with my roommates so that we will not have six toasters, lol. What do/did you wish you had or hadn't brought with you.

The packing lists you've seen elsewhere are all pretty thorough. I'd bring some of the stuff that will be in high demand and low supply at the wal-mart like hangers, bath mats, bed risers, and especially a mattress pad. Oh and an extra phone charger.

The packing lists you've seen elsewhere are all pretty thorough. I'd bring some of the stuff that will be in high demand and low supply at the wal-mart like hangers, bath mats, bed risers, and especially a mattress pad. Oh and an extra phone charger.

I have all that on the list or already only thing not on the list is bath mats. Do I need to bring a shower curtain?

Bring a jacket and jeans! I had a friend who was down there last fall and that was the first thing she told me to pack! You get there and it's really hot, but November-December nights in Orlando get pretty chilly, and if you want to park-hop at night, you'll definitely want jeans and a jacket to run around in.

Bring a jacket and jeans! I had a friend who was down there last fall and that was the first thing she told me to pack! You get there and it's really hot, but November-December nights in Orlando get pretty chilly, and if you want to park-hop at night, you'll definitely want jeans and a jacket to run around in.

I already planned jeans and a hoodie. I've been down there in November and January before and I know it can get "cold" for Florida I'm from Ohio but living down there I will get used to Florida weather.

Bring half as many clothes and twice as many socks and underwear. You will probably need black socks that cover your ankle. You will spend most of your time in your costume, pajamas or swim suit.

I second on the Brita pitcher and mattress pad. I also had one of those collapsable shoe organizers you hang in the closet which came in handy to keep things off the floor in the closet.

A laundry basket/hamper with good handles is needed. And I'd suggest getting those tide pods or similar so you don't have to lug the whole bottle with you!

Oh and an umbrella!! It rains daily. Some sort of backpack/bag for your work stuff and for while you are playing in the park.

If you have a car one of those reflective sunshades works wonders!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

This is based off of my experience in Disneyland.
-A good backpack
-Light jacket/sweatshirts for cold nights and the the winter
-If you are driving and can fit it, plastic drawers/shelves for extra storage

Are the beds in housing twin regular? Or are they XL?

I had two (but could have easily fit 3) under the bed storage bins. LOVED them!

I also had a table top ironing board and used it almost everyday. We kept it in the common area so my roommates could use it, too. My managers were picky about how neat our costume looked, so it was one of the best things I brought!

I had two (but could have easily fit 3) under the bed storage bins. LOVED them!

I also had a table top ironing board and used it almost everyday. We kept it in the common area so my roommates could use it, too. My managers were picky about how neat our costume looked, so it was one of the best things I brought!

Another great idea Hollsey. One of my roommates is bringing an iron and another is bringing an ironing board. I'm going to try and pack the stuff I'm bringing in storage bins to move down.

If anyone wants another opinion/idea on what to pack, here's my partial list so far. I like being prepared.

As far as clothing goes, what really should be the limit/ideal amount? I'm thinking 3 professional clothing sets for class/traditions, 10 shirts for casual/undershirts, 3 pairs of pants, and 3 pairs of shorts. In addition, jackets/socks/accessories and all the other common sense stuff I've got figured out.

Also, what restrictions are there on work watches/accessories? I'm hoping that I'll still be fine with my Mickey Mouse work watch once I get it fixed.

Thanks, and Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

If anyone wants another opinion/idea on what to pack, here's my partial list so far. I like being prepared.

As far as clothing goes, what really should be the limit/ideal amount? I'm thinking 3 professional clothing sets for class/traditions, 10 shirts for casual/undershirts, 3 pairs of pants, and 3 pairs of shorts. In addition, jackets/socks/accessories and all the other common sense stuff I've got figured out.

Also, what restrictions are there on work watches/accessories? I'm hoping that I'll still be fine with my Mickey Mouse work watch once I get it fixed.

Thanks, and Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

I looked at your list and the one thing that concerns me is your Lightsabers. I've been told that these aren't allowed at housing but I can't remember if that was just hearsay or if they told us that at the housing meeting. I do remember that Housing told us if we had brought anything that wasn't allowed we could bring it to them and they would store it until the end of the program.

Also your plan for clothing seems about right, since you can usually wear shorts/jeans a few times. I might bring more shirts, just because I know a lot of people like to wear cotton t shirts under their polyester costume shirts as they say it keeps them cooler. (Idk how that could be but a lot of people do it) you could always purchase more shirts at walmart once you are there

Also for anyone FLYING you can do Walmart Site to Store ahead of time and set the pickup date to your arrival date. That way you have some hangers and a mattress pad/ bedding reserved for you and wont need to worry about it being sold out.

I looked at your list and the one thing that concerns me is your Lightsabers. I've been told that these aren't allowed at housing but I can't remember if that was just hearsay or if they told us that at the housing meeting. I do remember that Housing told us if we had brought anything that wasn't allowed we could bring it to them and they would store it until the end of the program.

Also your plan for clothing seems about right, since you can usually wear shorts/jeans a few times. I might bring more shirts, just because I know a lot of people like to wear cotton t shirts under their polyester costume shirts as they say it keeps them cooler. (Idk how that could be but a lot of people do it) you could always purchase more shirts at walmart once you are there

Also for anyone FLYING you can do Walmart Site to Store ahead of time and set the pickup date to your arrival date. That way you have some hangers and a mattress pad/ bedding reserved for you and wont need to worry about it being sold out.

This is true. Lightsabers are considered weapons and the possession of one could get you in a lot of trouble.

Funny story, but I work with the guy that got them banned from housing and added to the contract.

It's definitely listed under "weapons" on one of the sites, I just can't find the physical post at the moment. It's related to the program moreso than housing as it's a company issue, really. I've been told as long as I'm smart with it, I'll be fine. The worst that would happen is I'd be told to get rid of it or mail it back home. my logic around it all is that there's the ones that are sold in Tatooine traders, and how are they possibly going to stop every single CP that purchases one. I've got stories, but it give you an idea.

The clothing situation really seems sensible to me, as I'm not one to really pick up extra clothing as I'm specific with what I wear to fashionable reasons. Thankfully you support it, as everyone else has told me not to bring really many clothes. I also think it will save on laundry since I'll have to do it less often as rotating clothes around is simple, and jeans/shorts can usually go a few wears before they need to be cleaned.

The one thing I am debating on now are socks, which I might want to buy a few more pairs of dress socks.

In addition, in follow-up to the site-to-store for Wal-mart you can always call any other retail stores (such as Target) and they'll typically hold item(s) for you if you forgot something. Just reassurance.

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter