What to do with Light saber and droid at the park?

pepperderr

DIS Veteran
We will likely be going to Galaxy's Edge on our first park day when we get there in August. There is no way to know when we will get to ride ROTR or if we will get to ride it. My question is, should I try to make reservations to make the lightsaber and the droid as late in the day as possible? I am wondering what we will do with them if the boys make them and then we get to ride ROTR? I asked Disney about this and the guy told me to take them back to our hotel and then come back to the park LOL. He said the only other option is to mail them home or not go on any rides after they are made. My kids don't want to mail them home. Has anyone done that? How much did it cost? He said there are lockers at the front of the park but none will fit the lightsaber my son wants since it won't fold up. I told them that whoever created Galaxy's Edge didn't do a very good job if there were no lockers anywhere close by and none that will fit the lightsabers. He said there is no option right now to send it to the front of the park or to have it delivered to the hotel. What did you do?

We built our Savi one about 1/2 before park close so we could get pictures in front of the Millennium Falcon with no crowd. Then we left and jumped on the bus and didn't have to carry it around all day. On our HS days though we saw plenty of people carrying their lightsabers around during the day. When we talked to some of them in lines, they said that they were allowed to take the sabers on most rides and the ones they couldnt like RocknRoller Coaster, the CM took it and it was waiting for them after the ride in the gift shop. Some have said that you can take the saber to the Droid Depot and have them mail it home and it cost around $17-18. We had zero problem bringing it home on the airplane as i didnt want to mail it home, and we had several Legacy sabers with us also.

We will likely be going to Galaxy's Edge on our first park day when we get there in August. There is no way to know when we will get to ride ROTR or if we will get to ride it. My question is, should I try to make reservations to make the lightsaber and the droid as late in the day as possible? I am wondering what we will do with them if the boys make them and then we get to ride ROTR? I asked Disney about this and the guy told me to take them back to our hotel and then come back to the park LOL. He said the only other option is to mail them home or not go on any rides after they are made. My kids don't want to mail them home. Has anyone done that? How much did it cost? He said there are lockers at the front of the park but none will fit the lightsaber my son wants since it won't fold up. I told them that whoever created Galaxy's Edge didn't do a very good job if there were no lockers anywhere close by and none that will fit the lightsabers. He said there is no option right now to send it to the front of the park or to have it delivered to the hotel. What did you do?
We did the droid and were some of the last people there for the night that day. Park was closed and mostly empty by the time we walked out. So we didn't have to worry about what to do with them.

We did mail ours home from the gift shop at the resort. It was cheap. I think $15 to ship 2 droids. Just keep your receipt if you plan to do that. Mailing from the resort was ideal because the kids could play with them for a few days before we shipped. Shipping was worth it to not have to deal with getting them home on the plane.

The only ride you have to check the lightsaber in is Aerosmith. Everything else, it fits in the ride "somewhat".

This is correct. The droid easily fits around your feet. My wife and I had custom slings we purchased on Etsy and I would put a foot through the loop just in case. The lightsaber was a bit more trouble but worked on everything (I didn't take either on RNRC or ToT) we rode. I also kept a foot in the sling in the lightsaber bag. I don't think I carried both at the same time.

We built our Savi one about 1/2 before park close so we could get pictures in front of the Millennium Falcon with no crowd. Then we left and jumped on the bus and didn't have to carry it around all day. On our HS days though we saw plenty of people carrying their lightsabers around during the day. When we talked to some of them in lines, they said that they were allowed to take the sabers on most rides and the ones they couldnt like RocknRoller Coaster, the CM took it and it was waiting for them after the ride in the gift shop. Some have said that you can take the saber to the Droid Depot and have them mail it home and it cost around $17-18. We had zero problem bringing it home on the airplane as i didnt want to mail it home, and we had several Legacy sabers with us also.
That is good to know. I will still try to book them for late in the day but I guess I don't have to worry if we do have other rides to go on afterward. My plan is to go to Hollywood Studios and see how many rides we can fit in and see if we get to ride ROTR that day but then come back later in the week to make the droid, the saber, and just hang around the GE or do some shopping. I am not sure. I am just starting to plan it all out better.

We went over Thanksgiving in 2020. I did droid building the first day that we went to HS (so kids could play with them in the hotel room) and the lightsabers on the last HS day. Both times we did them later in the day so we didn't have to carry around all the time With the lightsabers it was great to do it later as we got pictures in front of the Millennium Falcon. We didn't mail either back home and just carried them on the plane with no problem. I had been worried as we were technically over our carryon limit with the lightsabers but it was no problem.

We were at the parks for 10 days. My son made his lightsaber the first day and took it to HS two other evenings to play with it. We were able to easily take it on ROTR each time, also all the other rides. We don't ride Rockin roller. We mailed our lightsaber home from droid depot on our last day.

Alternatively to mailing them, when I went both times, when I was ready to go to a new park or just didn't want to keep carrying, I went to Droid Depot and had them send my saber and droid to the pick up location at front of the park (by the Coca Cola sign). I'm not sure how much it's changed since then but that might be an option still? You can then return to HS and pick it up but again not sure how it might have changed at this point.

I made our reservation for Savi's as late as possible but we will still have at least 2 hours left after. I figure if we want to get in any more rides after that we can use rider swap and have one person wait with the stuff.

Hi all! It's my understanding that package pick-up in the parks still hasn't returned. Is there any good option for storing light sabers/Droids so we don't have to carry them around all day at Hollywood Studios? Thanks so much!

Droids, without box, fit in the lockers. Lightsaber hilts also fit in lockers, but the blade won’t. Honestly, I’d send someone back to the resort or your car to store them. Lugging them around for 2-3 hours is okay, but longer than that you need a plan.

Reactions: CJK
I carried my droid through the park for 3 hours. Got tired of carrying it around and took it back to the on-site hotel once I was done in Galaxy's Edge. Then I went back to Hollywood Studios to finish out my day there.

We didn't build a light saber but bought a hilt and blade. Took those immediately back to the on-site hotel since they were a gift for my son and we didn't want them to get damaged. Then went back to the park to finish out our day there.

Reactions: CJK
Whats the word on the retractable Lighsabers that disney filed a patent for. when can we expect to see them in the park?

Whats the word on the retractable Lighsabers that disney filed a patent for. when can we expect to see them in the park?
Probably never
There’s no “word” on when or even if they ever intend to create them …

Disney files hundreds, if not thousands, of patents every year. Only a rare few actually make it to being a real world thing. The patent filing has no correlation to Disney’s intention to build whatever the patent was for. I don’t have exact numbers… but I’d venture to guess that at most 1-2% of all their patent filings turn into something.

They file patents on every bit of intellectual property that comes out of the imagineers’ brains. Even a glimmer of an idea. If it can be cogently explained, they can file the patent. That way, if anything similar is ever “invented” by someone else, they can say: “That was our idea first… see?”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter