What resort for Marathon weekend?

Where would you choose to stay for Marathon weekend?

• Total voters

RN_Mama_inFL

I’m here for the snacks
Debating where to stay for Marathon weekend, I’ve only done Princess and Wine/Dine previously. Current options are AKL, Saratoga Springs, or possibly Caribbean Beach.

I’m a hands down AKL. Sitting on the porch post race looking at animals with legs up on the rail.

Edit: I’ve heard there are many runners at POP and it’s a huge runners atmosphere

Last edited:
Don’t overthink it. Stay wherever you prefer staying. All the resorts have race transportation so it really doesn’t matter much unless you are considering a monorail resort.

I stayed at CBR for MW2022 and it was lovely. The race bus was right outside our building and so was the skyliner. The hammocks on the beach were also nice. However, I’ve stayed at the all stars the last two years just to save money and have no regrets.

Saratoga is nice if you don’t want to plan a park-heavy trip but want a lot of food options. Also great if you rent a car because you can park really close to your room and it’s like 5min from the start/finish.

But, as others have said, stay where you like the resort.

I'm coming for my first Marathon Weekend (running the 10K) and have booked the Swan Reserve from Monday - Saturday since my sister works for Marriott and I got a GREAT deal. I've never stayed Deluxe at Disney and am looking forward to using the EEH at Magic Kingdom on Wednesday as well.

My reservation at Swan Reserve is refundable up until the week of my stay so I have plenty of time to change my mind. In the meantime I've seen several comparable rooms at Animal Kingdom, Key West and Saratoga on DVC rental sites. We won't have a car and the idea of being able to walk to 2 parks while traffic may be a bit gnarly a few days because of the races is appealing. Is traffic really an issue on race days? Reading someone's comment about relaxing at AKL after a race (I LOVE a balcony) is really speaking to me. Which would you choose? I'm pretty sure Key West and Saratoga are off the table for me because I won't have a car and don't want to be so isolated on the resort.

We were at CBR for the first time for Spring Surprise and loved it! We really enjoyed relaxing poolside after returning from races, but there was one morning where multiple buses skipped my bus stop because they were already full from other stops. It caused us to have to forego prerace photos.
For that reason, I think I'm leaning towards Pop for MW this year. I llike the idea of only one bus stop.

I’m a hands down AKL. Sitting on the porch post race looking at animals with legs up on the rail.

Edit: I’ve heard there are many runners at POP and it’s a huge runners atmosphere
I'm now picturing the animals with their legs up on the rail.....

I can recommend Pop Century as a good place to stay, especially if you request a room away from the pool area (quieter and usually closer to the Skyway)

I've stayed all minus Caribbean Beach for various race weekends. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

AKL is amazing- Boma after the races for breakfast is especially good. Lots of food options at Jambo and Saana over at Kidani. Obviously the animals are a plus. I think they had a little coffee bar set up in the morning (we stayed here 2022 so been a little bit), but I don't remember anything after but it seems more recent that the hotels are stepping it up for the runners. The con is the the hallways are very long so you might get a room that's far from the lobby. It's very quiet overall.

SSR- we stayed here for this past marathon weekend and my husband declared it his favorite over the Poly. We did have a preferred room so were close to the bus. There's only 1 stop so you could have a potentially long walk in the mornings. They handed out little keychains after the full, but I didn't notice anything after the 10K or half of a half. There aren't as many food choices compared to AKL but also super quiet resort so you won't have issues going to sleep early.

Pop- we stayed here for Springtime Surprise this year. The atmosphere is great and the Skyliner is good if you plan any Hollywood/Epcot time. Every morning getting off the bus they had tables set up with the I'm Celebrating and with the race distance and some blanks in case you wanted to write something else. Buses were super fast and efficient. Obviously the least amount of food options since you really only have that food court/Art of Animation if you wanted to walk or the Skyliner if you had the energy! As others have mentioned, we do request away from the pool. We had a pool facing room for Marathon Weekend 2020 and they played the music loudly when we were trying to go to sleep.

Stayed at Pop this MW and loved it. It almost feels like everyone at the hotel is a runner. The cast members are fantastic and really roll out the red carpet to finishers. Really liked being on the Skyliner. We're booked there again for MW 2025 but will likely switch to the Swan or Dolphin when (if) rates drop. We love the crescent lake area and being able to walk to Epcot and DHS.

Pop- we stayed here for Springtime Surprise this year. The atmosphere is great and the Skyliner is good if you plan any Hollywood/Epcot time. Every morning getting off the bus they had tables set up with the I'm Celebrating and with the race distance and some blanks in case you wanted to write something else.
I loved the post-race red carpet, buttons, and the signs for photos that Pop did. That was all such a nice touch.
And while in the lobby checking in, the cast members all started going the Hustle, which was fun to join. Great atmosphere there, and where I expect to be in January 2025.

I've stayed at Pop and AKL on race weekends. I much preferred Pop because there were so many runners there and it was so fun. AKL is no doubt a great place to stay, but I didn't feel the special runner camaraderie while there. For 2025, I'm booked at CBR. Still might change that but as of right now I'm looking forward to trying a new resort!

I've stayed at various resorts for race weekends. Boardwalk, Yacht Club, Swan, French Quarter, Pop, and Coronado. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I loved my preferred room at Pop at Springtime last year, but also loved Coronado. French Quarter turned out to be a little too small for my liking, but I know many others love it. I like a resort that has more dining options, which I think is why I love Coronado.

Since multiple votes are allowed, I voted CBR and Pop Century because of the Skyliner and the access to Epcot and DHS. In fact this year, I went into Epcot for a few minutes immediately after finishing the Marathon and then took the Skyliner back to Pop afterwards.

I will say that when the lightning forecast shorted the Half this year, there was a lot of great support from other runners and/or spectators for anyone who opted to get the miles in back at the resort.

In the end, if you're spending time after the races in the parks, then I would let the parks you want to spend the most time in guide that decision. I will say that staying at Pop or CBR is great because the Skyliner means you're guaranteed to sit down on the way back to the resort instead of possibly spending more time on your feet when you're sort of, kind of pretending that you're trying to rest your legs in the middle of Dopey.

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest