• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Pet Loop or Site

WDWCamper

Earning My Ears
I am hoping someone can recommend the best loop and/or site to request for my family's trip in August. I know campsite tastes are different depending on the individual so I'll describe what I'm looking for.

1)It must be a Pet loop so, 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900.
2)We have a 20 ft expandable travel trailer (bunks pop out to make it about 25 ft) and a 12x12 screen house for dining.
3)We prefer to be away from the action and like a roomy and well separated site.
4)We do NOT need access to a comfort station, so don't want a site right near it.
5)The quieter the better.

From the posts I've read here, I think I need to stay away from 1900 because the sites are narrower. 1600 didn't sound like it was going to be too quiet and possibly had problems accessing the petwalk. So perhaps 1700 or 1800. If anyone is familiar with either loop and can give me a little more general info or even recommend a great site, I'd be very greatful.

Thanks!

I've stayed in 1700, 1800, and 1900. I didn't really notice much difference in size in these loops. Like all loops, they have large and smaller sites. You will be assigned a site based upon the site of your rig. Just make sure to tell them when you reserve about your pop-outs and screen tent.

1700 has a pet walk that goes by a small greenish pond over toward the main road. 1800 has the pet walk by the canal. If you are close to the pet walk on 1800 you will have more pedestrian traffic going to the walk area, but really noise isn't a problem anywhere in FW and I haven't found a bad site yet!!

Really counting down now! One more trip to WalMart and I think my shopping will be done!

We stayed in 1700 the last two times and loved it. 300 in the preferred pet loop, but we haven't stayed in it. Go to www.disneycampers.com and click on camping loop index. It gives a lot of detailed info on some of the sites. That might help you decide

Hi,

Your right 1900 is not gonna give you a wide enough site for your screen room (even though that's the loop we always stay in) cause it's smaller with more trees, so it also makes it a tight fit for backing in and slide outs. We have a small 22ft. travel trailer no slide outs or anything fancy, so it's great for us. We don't like being near the main road cause those buses run late into the night and our very loud. So, based on what your post says I would suggest 1800 loop on the back side. The only down side with 1800 loop is that it is the loop that the pets (mostly larger dogs) are walked on, so they will possiable go right by your trailer to get to that pet walk area. But, the good news about that loop is it's quieter than the front two loops and the sites are wider with a larger paved area for your screen room and still pretty tree'd for shade.
Hope this helps...

PS
Great description on what your needs and wants are!
Mmketeer...next Fort Wilderness trip/ June 28th

Thanks a lot for everyone's help! Please keep in coming.

Mmketeer, does your travel trailer have an awning too? What kind of vehicle to you tow with?
See, unexpanded our trailer is only 21', but we tow with a Suburban which is kind of long and I just want to get an opinion if we would be ok on manuevering into a 1900 site. I don't think we have ever encountered a problem getting into a site with this trailer so far...had more problems manuevering that darn pop up we had first. Go figure.

I decided to take the gamble on the 1900 loop . I just made sure she notated what equipment we had so hopefully that will help in getting a decent size site. Originally I had requested the 1800 loop , but I think I want to avoid the foot traffic for the pet walk area. My near sited Lab tends to bark when she thinks someone is coming over and she might mistake those other pet walkers for prospective new friends. The forfeiture of the extra space will more than be made up by me not worrying about her making noise. We don't usually camp on sites with a concrete pad anyway, so we would probably put the screen house in the sand. There would be no problem doing that right? I asked them to put us on the canal side of the loop since I didn't know how else to describe it. We just don't want to be near the Comfort Station. Are you familiar with that part and how it is set up? Any other suggestions from your past experiences?

August 2002 - WDWCamper...my kids refuse to allow me to count down since it is also a countdown to when they would have to return to school in Sept.

Hi WDW Camper,

We have a small travel trailer too and we use a doolie (however you spell it) pick-up truck that we leave parked in front of the camper. We don't have any trouble backing it in and unexpanded you won't either. Plus their is plenty of room for us to keep our truck at the site. We have an awning, but we hardley ever put it out at the site we usually stay in. But, it really just depends on the site we end up with there at the 1900 loop. See, some sites on that loop have a small shelled area on the sides of the concrete that would give you more space and some slope on both sides to a such a degree that don't have more than a foot of shell left on either side. So, that basically just leaves you with whatever concrete is still showing after you park your camper to put out your awning and chairs to sit under etc. We have however put up a screened tent in the back of the trailer near the grill on the orange shell area they have in the back (depending on how long we are staying for).
They will probably figure out that you are requesting the backside of the loop as the comfort station is towards the front and we share it with the loop under us. I think it's around the 1914-1917 area. Not really any suggestions...other than remember to bring your bikes or plan on renting some cause' it's definitly the most convient way to get around the campground! That's funny about the countdown thing!LOL! I can understand about the countdown also bringing the school starting date to a closer reality! <bg>

Well, I'll miss ya this trip cause we aren't going back again till Labor Day....have fun!
Mmketeer

Hi again Mmketeer!

Are you actually going on Labor Day or for the weekend? We are actually going the LAST week of August so if you're there the whole Labor Day Weekend...say hi. We will be checking out to go home on the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend. You sound like you must be close by to WDW. Lucky you. We on the other hand have a mere 1300 mile trek ahead of us.

Can you get to the canal from any of the sites on 1900? The map looks like maybe..but then again a map doesn't show drop off ledges and all those other obstacles.

The bikes were definitely on the list. Any problems locking them up at either of the Outpost or Settlement Depots? It doesn't sound like we want to bother with the internal buses, but might want to use the theme park buses so I was thinking we could ride the bikes to the main bus stops.

WDWCamper

Hi WDWCamper,

I am not sure which canal your talking about? You can't see the canal from the back of loop 1900 or anywhere else on that loop that I am aware of. That perticular loop on the back is nothing but woods. Wish I had a map in front of me (but it's in the camper) but, I think your talking about the one that you can get to from the 1800 loop pet walk area. I think on the map it runs along way, but in actuallity it runs away from our 1900 loop so it's not in our backyards. Your smart to bring the bikes and yes their is bike racks at the outposts and at the back of the campground where the main hub and boats are.
Sorry, I miss lead you...we are actually checking in Labor Day Week, probably on wed. for 4 days (so we can miss most of the holiday weekend crowd at the campground). I say probably because right now we have the whole week booked so we can come in when we figure out how many days my husband can get off from work. We'll be back again though several times before the end of the year if we miss you this time and I would definitly suggest if you can to come back for Mickey's Very Merry Chrsitmas Party in the first part of December.

Well, let me know if you have any other questions and drive safely. Yes, we are very lucky to live only an hour and half away. <BG>

TTFN...Mmketeer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter