What makes the Cabanas so great?

We have done CC two times. Once with cabana and once without. The first time we went on the family beach and had no trouble getting chairs. Our issue was that our 18-month old was still taking two naps. After being on the island a short while, he was especially cranky and I needed to go back to the ship with him and then our family was split up. We didn't spend much time there.

Fast forward to this past January (now 3 kids - 18m, 3 and 5) and we had cabana 4. It was the best family day our family has ever had. It was literally magical in every way (and it was even raining the first hour). The best part was that our 18-month old took a nap in the cabana and everyone else could continue on with playing etc. We got our food and carried it back to the cabana and ate in our own little zone. We had a place to drop all of our stuff with out feeling like someone had to carry it or guard it all day. We had a huge section of beach all to ourselves and reserved chairs and floats right in front of the cabana. I think for us with the age of our kids and needing naps, it was well worth it.

We have done CC two times. Once with cabana and once without. The first time we went on the family beach and had no trouble getting chairs. Our issue was that our 18-month old was still taking two naps. After being on the island a short while, he was especially cranky and I needed to go back to the ship with him and then our family was split up. We didn't spend much time there.

Fast forward to this past January (now 3 kids - 18m, 3 and 5) and we had cabana 4. It was the best family day our family has ever had. It was literally magical in every way (and it was even raining the first hour). The best part was that our 18-month old took a nap in the cabana and everyone else could continue on with playing etc. We got our food and carried it back to the cabana and ate in our own little zone. We had a place to drop all of our stuff with out feeling like someone had to carry it or guard it all day. We had a huge section of beach all to ourselves and reserved chairs and floats right in front of the cabana. I think for us with the age of our kids and needing naps, it was well worth it.
This is what got us first interested in the family beach cabanas in the first place as well. Now we try to get one every time.

It seems like people like the family beach ones more than serenity bay ones. Would it be weird to book a family beach one without having kids?

It seems like people like the family beach ones more than serenity bay ones. Would it be weird to book a family beach one without having kids?

Not weird at all! If it's better suited for you, go for it!

I think if you feel you will get use out of the cabana, you will like it. We've booked one 3 times and, when DS was younger, it was really nice to have one. Now that he is older, he wants to spend most of his CC time at In Da Shade, so we don't book a cabana anymore.

If you want a more private, secluded experience at CC, a cabana is the way to go, IMHO!

I want to add that we liked the cabana at Serenity Bay and if we booked one again it would likely be over there. We prefer the calm and quiet in that area. I don't think there's anything wrong with preferring one on the family beach if that makes you happy.

Bowl of potato chips, energy bars, fresh fruit

Stocked fridge with cold drinks and water

Electric wall plugs (for example, plug in to recharge your electronics)

Suntan lotion

Private hammock

Personal float tubes

Snorkeling equipment rental

Bike rental included

Nearby shower (right outside)

Magazines

Facial tissue

Trashcan

Hanging closet

Cocktail table, sofa, two chairs inside

Call button for attendant

Overhead fan

Privacy curtains over windows

Plates

Private beach in family cabanas

There is a safe in them, just as in your onboard cabin.

You can eat lunch there (table and chairs). Your host might give you a ride to/from the buffet.

There is a changing curtain for get into/out of swimwear

A drink host will come and take your order for alcoholic drinks and bring them to you.

They provide a plate of cold, wet towels. Great for cleaning/cooling off.

Lot of chairs inside and out (on the porch) for relaxing

Just to let you know capitals like "NOT" is considered shouting on forums, there was no need for it in anyway whatsoever.

I posted my personal experience, feels a few here just like to split a few hairs. I really do not need to go into that finer detail. Would you wish I specified the fruit! Apple orange? I gave my opinion from real experience.

I guess out if the responses so far, I am the only cruiser to actually has had a cabana, so did respond from real life experience rather than general comments, based on theory.

Splitting hairs and jumping on posters here, by a few prolific posters, is clearly the cause why this forum has gone very quiet but social media is very busy?

That was to emphasize the fact that certain things were not included just to make sure it was clear. Some people skim posts and may not have caught that if it were not distinguished so.

We sail concierge and always get a cabana. Some reasons why:

- shelter from the sun and rain - I have two young kids and having a private place to take a break is nice. We sailed earlier this month and it stormed on and off most of our day at Castaway. Thanks to the cabana, we had a fantastic time. We would go to the cabana when it started pouring while most others went back to the ship. Then when it cleared for the 30-60 min at a time, we would go swim.

- safe place to keep our stuff without worrying about someone taking something

- no need to worry about our chairs disappearing

- last year we had the kids nap there, so we didn't have to go back to the ship

- a private place to eat (a great benefit of the low numbered family cabanas)

- it includes snorkeling gear and rafts, both things we would want. snorkeling gear alone would cost my family >$100. and we like to have both kinds of rafts, nice to not worry about keeping track of them either. If we had to buy both types of rafts for all 4 of us, that would really add up

- significantly less crowded beach and water area. looking at the non-cabana beach, it's MUCH more crowded there (especially when on the bigger ships)

All in all, well worth the $650-something to us.

Last edited:
Not weird at all...We prefer the ones on the family beach, even when we are cruising without children. We just like the set up better, and the bathroom are closer. We have stayed in both, but will always choose the family beach if we can get it.

:cutie: Sure hope it's not weird, because the only cabanas left when I just booked our Fantasy sailing for this September, was the giant one (cabana equivalent of a DVC Grand Villa, I guess. LOL) and #19 on the Family Beach. I would have preferred one on Serenity Bay, but they were all gone. I was surprised there were any cabanas at all left.

We have never gotten a cabana in all our DCL sailings so it will be interesting to see how we like it. But this I do know..... both DH and I have had skin cancer, his being melanoma. I don't tan, so why get more Vitamin D than I will get walking around anyway? :D We always rent the shaded loungers when we vacation in tropical locations because it gets us out of the sun but allows us to still enjoy the lovely views of the ocean, feel the seabreeze, and hear the waves. Without getting fried.

I think the cabanas are REALLY pricey, so it remains to be seen if we will think they are "worth it"...... but it will be fun to try it out ourself and see! :dogdance:

- it includes snorkeling gear and rafts, both things we would want. snorkeling gear alone would cost my family >$100. and we like to have both kids of rafts, nice to not worry about keeping track of them either

I think I have to take back my implication that there's never a cost savings on a cabana, because I hadn't thought of this. My traveling situation is as a solo adult, maybe a party of two adults on some future cruises, so equipment rentals are pretty nominal for my cruising style compared to the cost of a cabana. With a larger group, though, I could see how it would add up if you wanted to rent equipment for everyone. I don't know what the exact breakdown is on that, but I bet your family at least comes a lot closer to breaking even on the rental fees vs. cabana cost than I would.

We've been to Castaway twice and had a cabana once. It was nice having our own space to lounge with shade and there wasn't as much crowds, however, the beach was nicer in the general family beach then right in front of our cabana.

I do love hearing that the cabanas include a button for the attendant. We like to splurge on a cabana at the Legoland water park and the one frustration is how infrequently staff come by to see if you want to order anything.

A Cabana rental is more of an experience than simply a list of amenities. It’s a private retreat on a busy island.
It’s a home base for your family to experience Castaway Cay. It’s a shelter from the sun and possible rain with a ceiling fan, piped in music, cushioned chairs inside, cushioned loungers outside on your private shade sail covered deck with a beautiful view of a fairly private stretch of beach. A hammock for your cabana’s use, no need to worry about trying to “save” one or even secure one on the public beach. You are on a private beach for the Cabanas on Family Beach.

Bowl of potato chips, energy bars, fresh fruit

Stocked fridge with cold drinks and water

Electric wall plugs (for example, plug in to recharge your electronics)

Suntan lotion

Private hammock

Personal float tubes

Snorkeling equipment rental

Bike rental included

Nearby shower (right outside)

Magazines

Facial tissue

Trashcan

Hanging closet

Cocktail table, sofa, two chairs inside

Call button for attendant

Overhead fan

Privacy curtains over windows

Plates

Private beach in family cabanas

There is a safe in them, just as in your onboard cabin.

You can eat lunch there (table and chairs). Your host might give you a ride to/from the buffet.

There is a changing curtain for get into/out of swimwear

A drink host will come and take your order for alcoholic drinks and bring them to you.

They provide a plate of cold, wet towels. Great for cleaning/cooling off.

Lot of chairs inside and out (on the porch) for relaxing

These are both informative, comprehensive and extremely helpful summaries of the benefits of getting a Cabana on CC. Thank you very much to both of you for posting them. Very helpful for deciding if it might be right for each of us.

But I just have to ask....

Are either one of you secretly working for DCL?

:duck:

Just kidding! Thanks again.

These are both informative, comprehensive and extremely helpful summaries of the benefits of getting a Cabana on CC. Thank you very much to both of you for posting them. Very helpful for deciding if it might be right for each of us.

But I just have to ask....

Are either one of you secretly working for DCL?

:duck:

Just kidding! Thanks again.
Nope, just someone who has been lucky enough to get a cabana a couple of times. We love the experience and are happy to share our enthusiasm when folks ask if the Cabanas are “worth it”.

We were on the Fantasy at the end of April. My husband, myself, 7 year old, 2 year old and grandparents. We were in Cabana 6. For us it was absolutely worth it. My parents and I are not big beach people and do not love being in the sun. So having the shade (and a lot of it was wonderful). Being able to have a pack n play set up for the 2 year old to nap was key. We are going on the Magic next April and will be trying to get one again. (same group of people so for same reasons)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter