What is the worst thing your pet has swallowed or had in its mouth?

I had a German Shepherd that ate a red pen. I came home from work to what appeared to be a murder scene. It took me awhile to figure it out.

We have a new puppy and she likes to eat my older dogs poop 😬. We have caught her trying to eat it as it’s coming out. My oldest daughter said it’s like she thinks it’s a soft serve dispenser. 🤪It’s so disgusting we are trying very hard to get her to stop.
I’ve worked with dogs for over 25 years and just wanted to let you know that eating feces is a puppy behavior that some behaviorists think goes back to survival instincts as gross as it is. It is important to stop it if you can, otherwise it can be one a lifelong habit. (One of my rescues has this issue). There are some things you can put in your other dogs food that act as a deterrent (you can ask your vet). Just wanted to let you know you are not alone in the gross dog habit world!

He lived to be 19 and passed peacefully in his sleep with a smile on his face.

Awesome! I hope for the same for my guys!

We've had our share of skunk episodes, twice right in the face - that's always fun. I think the worst was when one of the dogs came across a deer leg and drug it up into the yard to enjoy. Didn't realize what he had for a while- just thought he was out there enjoying the day and soaking up some sun!

I had a boxer mix that liked light bulbs. A lot of calls to the vet for her. She lived to be 12 until her hips finally gave out. This dog also intensely hated opossums and liked to bring them in to me to show what a great hunter she was. The only problem was they weren't always dead. I learned the meaning of playing possum late at night while my husband was on an overnight trip and I was home alone, standing on my couch screaming hysterically at my husband to come home NOW!!!! He was on the opposite end of the state picking up some prisoners and it was at least an 8 hour drive. Thankfully the dog picked the possum up and took it back out.

When I was younger we had a shepherd mix that got a marrow bone stuck on her jaw. She was howling in pain and fear as we tried to get it off. At least one of us got bit during the ordeal. That bone was wedged on and it was a Saturday night so no vets were open. I have never given another dog one of those bones.

My cats eat Easter grass and wrapping paper. I just don’t bother with the Easter grass anymore because I don’t want to end up at the emergency vet.

My cat brought me a woodpecker a couple weeks ago. Heard him calling for me at the back door, went and looked, and he was sitting there with a giant black and white woodpecker in his mouth. I have no idea how he caught such a big bird!

Anyway, while he was calling me, he opened his mouth wide enough for the woodpecker to slip out and fly away!

Paint for a cat. Lapped it up like water. Ant bait for a dog. Both were fine but cost me $75 each with a call to let poison control.

My mini golden doodle eats anything. Last bowel surgery last year was a Peppa pig head, piece hard plastic and underwear. She loves underwear and my kids can not close their bedroom doors. We buy underwear in the largest packs we can find.

We have a new puppy and she likes to eat my older dogs poop 😬. We have caught her trying to eat it as it’s coming out. My oldest daughter said it’s like she thinks it’s a soft serve dispenser. 🤪It’s so disgusting we are trying very hard to get her to stop.
Oh wow, that's too funny! I've heard dogs like to do that a lot, very gross. We have a cat that loves to eat anything my other cats throw up. He comes running whenever he hears the yakking and waits patiently for the meal. He's even crouched below them and they throw up on his head :crazy2:

My dog passed away in 2003, but he would eat absolutely anything and be fine. Once he ate a packet of orange Rit dye, and I had a dog with an orange front for awhile. He ate a big staple, but threw it back up with no problem. Ate his own vomit before I could swoop in and clean it up, constantly. Chocolate. You name it, he ate it. We called him Iron Guts. He lived to be nearly 18 years old.

My cat gobbled up a long piece of tinsel once. Had to induce vomiting per my vet and make sure it all came back up. Yuck!!

The most expensive one was a ribbon bookmark. It had metal pieces on both ends. Had to have it surgically removed as the metal parts got caught in different spots and turned his intestines into an accordion fold shape.
He is a picky eater when it comes to food, but will eat anything stringy like yarn, thread, long pieces of plastic or paper. We have found a shoe string and ribbons in his litter box. Finally realized he was removing and eating the ribbons from the necks of stuffed animals in the kid's rooms.
Would definitely eat tinsel if he ever found any!

We've rescued a few skinks from him inside the house, too.

Good heavens. We got a puppy in May, and what hasn't she eaten?

We've been through nuts/bolts, a CD (yes, she completely bit down and ate part of it), anything she finds outside (including rabbit poop), napkins (anything paper, actually), a piece of a chestnut shell (apparently she's allergic to chestnuts -- she was sick for 2 days afterward).

We've discovered the joy of feeding her lots of bread when she does stupid. It's still super challenging.

Omg...too many to count. I own a pet-sitting/dog walking company and we've run into a lot of things over the years. The funniest was probably Charley the Cavalier King Charles. This was about five years ago. His owner was a long time customer who had several dogs, and so I trusted her opinion when she told me that Charley had graduated from his crate. He was about 18 months old. This was over the Christmas break and they were down in Florida for the week. I headed over...night #1 to feed and tuck them in. I walked in, and the other two dogs headed to the back door to be let out in the yard, but little Charley headed in to the living room, which was odd. I followed him in, and he was up on the leather couch...and so proud to show me the perfect circle that he chewed in the leather couch. Like crop circle perfect. I pumped that little guy full of pumpkin for days....and thankfully....it all passed. It's still one of my favorite pet sitting pics ever.

Our dogs have eaten a variety of things over the years, but favorites remain:
- Nerf gun bullets, both traditional darts and balls
- Underware and socks
- Pencils and crayons
- Countless meals resting on the stove or counter

Chewed on:
- Chaco sandals and Crocs
- Backpack straps

Our current German Shepard matriarch who’s 12yo has eaten/killed: my Meyers Parrot (destroyed the cage too), woodchuck, squirrels, and a variety of birds. Our backyard is safe of trespassers.

We brought our new dog home from the animal shelter. He forever endeared himself to our old dog in the first couple of days when my husband baked a cake, left it cooling on the counter, and went to bed. When I went into the kitchen an hour or so later, no cake, no crumbs, no nothing. Just cooling racks sitting in the sink. (Still don't know how he managed that!)

We'd never had a dog tall enough or bold enough to reach a counter before, but apparently we did now. He must have knocked the whole thing down onto the floor, and our old dog's dream came true when they scarfed the whole thing down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter