What is the longest you waited in between auto oil changes?

Awesome, I find myself wondering though, how long is battery life? Is it expensive to replace? Hoping they got this figured out, it is the biggest deterrent for me.
Recent data suggests a 20-30 year life span at 80+% of original capacity with no additional degradation when comparing fast charging(DCFC) and home charging(Level 1 or Level 2).

Most people don't keep a car 20-30 years so battery replacement is not something that needs to be figured out.

Awesome, I find myself wondering though, how long is battery life? Is it expensive to replace? Hoping they got this figured out, it is the biggest deterrent for me.
Modern batteries last as long as most modern gas engines. Longer than most people will keep their cars. 200k-300k miles is not unheard of.

I probably won't be buying another gas car.

First real maintenance on my EV will be at 150,000 miles. Coolant and brake fluid flush.

Last edited:
The longest was when was probably 7,500 miles. But, that was then this is now.

I got a new car this past winter and once the car hit ~1K miles, I got the oil changed. I have seen studies that show the first oil change is the most critical regardless of tolerances and advances in manufacturing techniques; there are still particulates/impurities that cause the most damage in the first 500-1,500 miles.

I changed the oil again recently and still below 3,000 miles. My car has a turbo where the oil is used to also cool/lubricate the impeller so I'm ultra conservative. Full-synthetic from gas, not crude, at 0W20 weight.

I did see another more recent report of a new blend of synthetic with cleaning agents that remove deposits and not impede the oil filter's effectiveness. I think that's what I'm going to go with from here onward as my car is also GDI which is notorious for intake valve carbon build-up.

EV's is a totally different discussion and you can find a few older threads on here. Generally seems like those who have an EV think they are wonderful/amazing and can't understand that where/how far they drive might not be the same as everyone else.
I couldn't agree more. I think there was a discussion a while ago where I chimed in as someone who retired from the battery industry working directly with our cell/pack designers in hybrid and fully electric powertrains (including Formula 1 and Mercedes). I could skew almost any of our batteries data, release it to the public, and make it seem like we had the holy grail of batteries.

Recent data suggests a 20-30 year life span at 80+% of original capacity with no additional degradation when comparing fast charging(DCFC) and home charging(Level 1 or Level 2).

Most people don't keep a car 20-30 years so battery replacement is not something that needs to be figured out.
Are they covered by a warranty program?

Or the people who have not yet experienced an EV think that every "truth" they have heard about an EV is true.

The inability to see the other view point goes both ways.
Exactly true. I was one of them until I learned first hand.

It took me a while to change my mindset when I bought my EV.

That's why we decided to dip our toe in with an EV lease instead of buying. It's the first time we have ever leased a car, but if at the end of the 3 years we decide not to continue, we can.

My 2011 Subaru is due for its annual inspection, I have put about 3000 miles on it in the last year, and will ask them to change the oil.

I am trying to figure out what your new avatar says

since ev's has been brought up i'll ask a question i've wondered about-

do they make some kind of home system that holds a charge in case of power outages? i've wondered b/c we live in an area with winters that can have prolonged outages (including the locations where public powering stations are located) and we've received notifications from the utility companies that due to wildfire risks they are changing the system on how lines operate due to damage such that there may be more frequent and lengthy outages this summer.

Also back "in the day" many people recommended instead of changing the oil, the filter was more important. Mainly that was because it was not uncommon for cars, especially older ones,
That was not my experience. Got my first car in 1974 and the owners manual said the oil filter only needed to be changed every other oil change. So oil at 3 months, 3,000 miles, oil and filter every 6 months or 6,000 miles I did ask my mechanic about it and he says that kind of went away just because of how inexpensive an oil filter is. May as well change it.
I found an old student coupon book from my College years (1975-79). Firestone had a coupon in there for an oil and filter change for $2.99! Of course that was a way to lure in people and try and get people to have more work done. Not an issue for me as my car was new. A Fraternity brother of mine had a 12 year old Rambler station wagon with well over 100,000 miles on it. He picked it up and they handed him an estimate for about $1,000 in repairs as I recall. He laughed and pointed out he only paid $200 for the car, so no way he was spending $1,000 on it. He also pointed out that all the safety items, tires, brakes, lights, worked perfectly. Most of the repairs were for the engine, and transmission weeping fluid.
My wife got caught in that too with Firestone. When we first started dating, her 1970 Ford had over 100,000 miles on it and she took it to Firestone for an oil change and they told her she needed a new carburetor, at a cost of $150 with labor. She asked me if it was normal to need another carburetor at every oil change as they had replaced the carb 3 months before. I looked at the paperwork and it said the warranty was 6 months of 6,000 miles. I went with her to pick it up, and asked the guy what the warranty was on the carburetor and he confirmed 6 months, 6,000 miles. She handed him the last bill, and I said, "so this second carb replacement would be covered under warranty?". She looked at the last bill, and said it was. That turned a $160 bill into a $10 bill for just an oil change.

do they make some kind of home system that holds a charge in case of power outages? i've wondered b/c we live in an area with winters that can have prolonged outages (including the locations where public powering stations are located) and we've received notifications from the utility companies that due to wildfire risks they are changing the system on how lines operate due to damage such that there may be more frequent and lengthy outages this summer.
Tesla Powerwall (which can also charge a Tesla EV). It can be integrated with or without solar.

Tesla Powerwall (which can also charge a Tesla EV). It can be integrated with or without solar.
There are some areas where the building code requires the power wall to shutdown if the power from the grid is down.
I have solar panels and people assume if the power goes out during the day that my solar panels will provide power. They too must by code, shut off if the grid power is down.
Both are safety issues to protect utility workers. They don't want someone's battery or solar system feeding power into the grid while workers are fixing what is supposed to be a deenergized power line.

Yes.

There are both home batteries that can be installed with or without solar that allow your home to run on battery for a couple days or indefinitely when tied to solar.

Many EV also support a vehicle to load system that would let you power your home using your EV in the event of a power outage.

If you are wondering how to charge an EV if there is no power, you don't, just like you don't buy gas if there is no power at the gas station. But if you are in the habit of always plugging in your EV at the end of the day as recommended, your EV will always start the power outage with 200+ miles of range.

There are some areas where the building code requires the power wall to shutdown if the power from the grid is down.
I have solar panels and people assume if the power goes out during the day that my solar panels will provide power. They too must by code, shut off if the grid power is down.
Both are safety issues to protect utility workers. They don't want someone's battery or solar system feeding power into the grid while workers are fixing what is supposed to be a deenergized power line.
All systems by law are required shut down power to the grid during a grid outage. It's called anti islanding protection.

Most systems will still provide power to the home.

Some EV are capable of bi-directional charging. This allows the vehicle battery to provide electricity to critical home loads during a grid outage. Basically, the car becomes the "powerwall".

All systems by law are required shut down power to the grid during a grid outage. It's called anti islanding protection.

Most systems will still provide power to the home.
I believe you have to have a battery system to capture any excess production if the grid is down. A properly installed solar system with battery storage will be able to continue to provide power during a power outage.

A solar system without battery storage will not provide any power to the home during a power outage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest