• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the advantage to presale?

dznymom1

DIS Veteran
I've been following the BCV presale rumors with great interest, since I expect to add on one last time at BCV. Does anyone know what it really means? When would points actually become available to use? Although I have definite plans to buy at BCV, I don't see any reason to tie up my money unless I will immediately have points at my disposal, which doesn't seem likely to me. However, since I am planning a summer 2002 cruise if I were to have points available to me for that, then it would certainly make sense to me :)

If I haven't confused you completely (I have certainly confused myself) my real question is "Why buy duriing the Presale?" (if there actually is one).

Chris

The only advantage that I can think of is that you are assured of being able to purchase at BCV. Apparently, some posters are very anxious to purchase BCV points. IMHO, BCV will NOT sell out so quickly that someone would HAVE to purchase during a "presale" to make sure he/she actually got points. Buying during a presale might be advantagous to those that live in states that are slow to approve DVC. That way they wouldn't have to come back again right after the resort is open.

It would make me angry if anyone were allowed to use their BCV points for anything except a future BCV reservation before the resort was actually open. (I suppose it would be OK to use them for one of the DC Hotels, the DCL or an exchange IF the only DVC reservations that CRO was allowed to use to pay for those things came from future BCV accomodations).

I am NOT a lawyer and I have never played one on TV. LOL! But I cannot believe it would be legal to allow BCV owners to use their points for any other DVC resort before the BCV resort is available to be booked on points. That would result in a situation were there wouldn't be enough capacity to allow the other DVC members to use their points.

IMHO, any presale situation would most likely be similar to a "purchase agreement". Disney agrees to sell the purchaser a set amount of points in the future (the date will depend on when BCV is ready). The purchaser puts down some money (earnest money) and the contract then closes after the resort is open. No points available to the purchaser until after closing.

Again, just MHO. YMMV.

My reason for wanting to purchase at BCV as soon as possible is that I am planning my next vacation for Oct 2002 and hope to be able to stay at BCV. I am assuming the sooner I purcase the better chance I will of getting ressies for Oct 2002. But I may be way off base.

A possible advantage could be closing faster. (I'm not sure if that is a valid consideration or not) But I would think that closings would be done in the order of deposits taken. So you might be able to close as soon as the resort opens to DVC, allowing you to bank/borrow or use DC, DCL, etc. sooner. I don't think there is any doubt that no one will be able to use points until the resort opens to DVC. And remember VWL opened in November for central reservations, but not to DVC until Jan 14! So the question is: Is the Sept 2002 projected opening for CRO or for DVC????

We too are planning on a fall vacation, 2002. We are very interested in a presale so we will know the total points (based on price and any presale incentives) that we will have to use in 2002. If fact, I wondered if BCV opens in spring, we might get two years points, since we have a June use year (fingers crossed on that one). We are hoping to do DCL/BCV in the late fall and want to be able to book using our VWL points, and our future BCV add-on points. Once we know all the BCV details, we can start the obsession about 2002 plans.;)

Most likely the only real advantage is that Disney will, if it goes pre-sale, probably offer one pre-sale price and then raise the price when regular sales begin; thus you lock in the lower price. Advantage would mostly be Disney's as it will give it something to sell during a time when it may otherwise have no WDW resort to sell and thus allow it to continue running those kiosks and employing its sales people before regular sales begin. You will not be able to use points until resort opens. Also likely that points won't issue until resort opens although use year may begin before then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter