What is Florida like in January?

Free4Life11

DIS Veteran
We are planning on going in mid-January?

What is weather like? Is it rainy a lot?? Don't want our trip to get rained on!

-Matt

Usually beautiful weather in January. Cool to downright cold. Bring a sweater or jackets for nights. Days can be anywhere from the 80s to the 30s.

We love Jan but do be prepared for very cool weather, not to scare you but just be prepared. I would not stay at a hotel that does not have warmed pool water!! Dixie Landings was great.
We are from Manitoba Canada and we know cold in the winter and I was happy we took lots of sweatshirts, jackets and mitts, not to mention touques. One night our kids wore two pairs of sweatpants to Epcot for fireworks. We love jan because the crowds are less than usual. Ponchos are great bought on site at Disney, reasonable and fun to wear.
We have been twice in Jan. The only drawback is the water parks are not all open and Typhoon lagoon water is really cool and you may not want to stay in too long. We just wait for a very warm day and GO!!!
Hope this helps! Elaine

Thanks for the info.

We are from MN (live in Chicago now) and used to the cold - actually prefer it over the hot weather. Sweatshirts and jackets are NOT a problem for us...and less crowds :):)

-Matt

We were there over MLK weekend - have to say we had opposite - it was hot! Thank goodness I had one pair of shorts at least.

Hello MN! It's often COLD in WDW in January -- even for Nebraskans. ;)
The weather has a real range to it. It can be in the low 70's during mid day to the low 20's at night.
We have been at WDW the first full week of January for the last two years. (marathon time) Both trips have included at least one day where it was warmer in NE than at WDW.
We take summer and winter clothes (including winter coats) and wear both.
This last trip I didn't want to wear my heavy gloves and I bought a $6 lightweight pair of MM gloves in MGM. They were perfect.
Usually a spring jacket and long pants are needed during the day.
Riding on SM or Kali RR can be VERY if-y at best. If you want to ride them, you almost have to plan your days around the weather.
Winters coats may be wanted if you are camped out on the cold cement waiting for fireworks or Illuminations.
I even like layering (top, sweatshirt, jacket) and storing what I don't need at that time in a locker.
The park hours are shorter, but there are no crowds. :)

I have been to WDW 2 times in January. The first time that we went, the weather was beautiful. It was in the high 70's - low 80's with no rain. We were able to swim in the hotel pool without being cold. The second time we went in January it was very cold. Daytime highs were in the 50's. It also rained for a few days.

It varies so be prepared for anything. We typically go during January/1st week of February. During our January stays we've all types of weather. One year we actually had to break out our winter coats and mittens but two days later we were dying in our shorts and tank tops.

For every trip we started out layered and subtracted as necessary. Do bring shorts and long pants, sweatshirts and tank tops. You'll use them all!

Luv2Roam, you said that you've visited during the Marathon. Is WDW really busy during this time? I'm looking to go during the first week in January for my next trip, and I want to avoid all the big crowds. I've gone in August the last two years, and I want to avoid the heat and the crowds. I'd love it if you could let me know.

steven

Have been there twice in January. It's always been pretty nice, cooler of course at night just make sure you bring a light jacket or sweatshirts.

If you are coming from cold weather then you won't mind it. Those of us with thinned blood from living in FL have some problems when the temp drops below 60. I think what's different with FL cold is that there are no mountains to buffer the wind.
January 1- MLK is the slow season so even though park hours are shorter, there are virtually no lines.
And when the parks close you can actually go rest (many people don't do this while here), or go enjoy Downtown Disney

My vacation time of choice is New Years Eve and a few days after. Of course, New Years Eve is very crowded. The following days are great since most of the other vacationers have left. The weather during that time ranges from quite brisk to comfortable. My first January trip started out in the mid-70's on the first day and ended in the 50's on my last day!

Be sure to have layers of clothing. I found that these are easily stored in the lockers as the day progresses from morning to noon then back to the chilly evening.

January is the best time to visit as the weather is great (only rained once in the past five years that I have been there) and the crouds are much lighter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter