• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What has been your most memorable experience in a car?

Driving home from Disney World and a semi in front of us had it’s load shift & it started losing wooden planks off the back of the truck. We had to keep swerving around them and caught up with it to try and let the driver know. We were honking and pointing to try and get his attention. Instead of slowing down or pulling over, he got road rage and sped up and kept trying to run into us or run us off the road. Meanwhile he was losing dozens of planks behind him. We were speeding like crazy to get away from him while on the phone with the highway patrol. Crazy!

Most memorable but also most unpleasant. I was broadsided crossing into a shopping plaza by an idiot using the bdl where it was not allowed. He hit us so hard we went airborne rolled 6 times and landed on our roof. We had to crawl out the windshield over all the glass. Oh and the...idiot... never even came to see if we were alright. We were lucky bumps, bruises and minor glass cuts but all in all okay.

My now DH had a major road rage incident on the way to our first date (he wasn't the only one acting like a fool, the other driver was as well). He almost got into a fist fight on the side of the road. He was trying to pass, the other driver sped up and wouldn't let him, then wouldn't let him back into the lane when there was oncoming traffic. They had words at the stop light and got out of the car... It was just a bad time. I almost didn't see him again after that. Glad I gave him another chance. :thumbsup2

Back in college my boyfriend drove me to an 8am doctors appointment because of the snow and ice that had accumulated on the road. We had just left our street and were only going about 15 mph around a bend when we hit black ice and did a complete 180 on the road. Thankfully we did not slide off the road and into a ditch. Instead that happened to a friend of ours that was going in the opposite direction. We found him there two hours later looking over the damage to his truck.

Then there was the time that I hit a large buck going 60 mph on my way home from work. My car was totaled.

Kids vomiting in the backseat along mountain passes an hour+ into 20+ hour road trips.

I ran over a squirrel a few months ago. The girls were with me and were like "what was that thump"???? Ya... Not the first time I've run over an animal. Squirrel, birds, cats, snakes...

1. I hit the person following me head-on. I was driving my father's car while visiting him while he was in the hospital for surgery. It had just started raining and I was probably going a few miles over the speed limit (40 in town). The light changed in front and I hit the brakes; somehow, I turn 180 degrees within my lane and had a head-on collision with the person that had just been following me. I knew the person too as they had attended a church we used to go to. They got $20K out of the insurance too, claiming their seat belts bruised them.

2. We hit a horse when I was about 6. I was in the back of a station wagon and all I remember is the luggage all falling on me while I was sleeping. Horse was just running loose on an old backroad. I think the horse owner also sued my dad saying it was his fault for hitting his horse.

Driving back to NC after our first Disney trip in a tropical storm that was moving up the coast about the same pace as us....and the kids both throwing up in the back seat from a bug they caught. Pretty awful day.

My Dad driving our Winnebago on the skinny winding mountain roads in NC. It was so scary we couldn't look out the window. I don't know how Dad did it.

And lastly, my little sister choking on a grape while we were driving in the Italian countryside in the middle of nowhere. All us other three kids were screaming and crying and my poor mother was trying to stay calm and save her life. Which she did!

The first time rode in a car that my DS was driving. He had just gotten his permit (DH rode home with him after that), and we were going to the IL's house for dinner. The main road out there is a narrow, very curvy road that is barely wide enough to be two lanes; and then we turned onto the IL's dirt/gravel road that is only wide enough for 1.5 cars and curvy, with one hill that you can't see if someone else is coming the other way until you are at the top of the hill.

Other than that, it would be the time I wrecked my jeep on an icy road. I hit black ice and slid, spun partway around and hit a guardrail with the front of the car, spun again and hit it again with the back side of the car. I came to a stop with the backend almost parallel to the guardrail and the front end just over the center line. I looked up to see a truck coming towards my drivers' side door that was also sliding. He missed the front of my car by about 6 inches. I had my 3-yo and 6 month old sons with me and I was so scared.

After a four hour trip my DS3 at the time waited until we pulled into our driveway to projectile vomit all over the car. That was fun. :rotfl2:

That’s my PG memorable moment. ::yes::

Driving to Colorado with my first DH back in '78. Yes, most of the lug nuts broke somewhere in Nebraska when trying to fix a flat which probably was a nightmare( 64 years can clear up memory problems!! :teeth:)

We were newly weds so all was good.......:love:

In college I dated a nice young lady. One time we went to Six Flags and I guess we spent a little too much time in the beer garden. On the way home she threw up in my car.

I ended up marrying her 31 years later.

You married her and have been married for 31 years, or you married her 31 years later? In either case, great, congratulations!!

Married her 31 years after she threw up in my car.

We dated in college, but then she transferred to another school and we drifted apart. About 20 years later she found me on AOL. In the interim, we had both married other people and had gotten divorced. We started dating again, started living together after a year, then got married 10 years later.

Vomit incident 1980.
Drifted apart 1981-1982.
Reconnected 2000.
Moved in together 2001.
Married 2011.

Another proposal here in 1983........
Very simple and we got Subway sandwiches after to "celebrate"...... It cracks me up today because proposals are such a "thing" now!
I was so excited when he picked me up that morning and I said what are we doing today? He said we're going to buy you a ring!!!!:love::love:

I met this guy off of Craigslist. We chatted at Starbucks for about 4 hours. We wanted to keep talking, so we decided to go to dinner. I can't give directions to save my life, so I agreed to let this guy in my car. I informed him I would not hesitate to throw him into incoming traffic if he acted up. He was a gentleman the entire trip to dinner. Apparently I didn't scare him because he proposed 9 months later. Three kids and 11 year later I still haven't scared him off! :love:

Amazing! Great story.
Married her 31 years after she threw up in my car.

We dated in college, but then she transferred to another school and we drifted apart. About 20 years later she found me on AOL. In the interim, we had both married other people and had gotten divorced. We started dating again, started living together after a year, then got married 10 years later.

Vomit incident 1980.
Drifted apart 1981-1982.
Reconnected 2000.
Moved in together 2001.
Married 2011.

Being a "passenger" when my dad drove over Rollins Pass the first day it was opened to cars (that lasted only a short time, before authorities realized it simply was not safe and permanently closed it).
My mom and I, as well as virtually every other passenger in the line of four wheel drives ended up walking near needles eye tunnel, while drivers had seatbelts off and ready to bail out of a vehicle if it began to tumble down the mountain.

I was visiting my cousin in Texas. She had her 10 year high school reunion in a city about 7 hours away. We packed up her 2 young boys and a bunch of baby gerbils and headed to my aunt’s house. Within an hour or so the van overheated. She’d been having issues with it but her mechanic husband checked it out prior to us leaving. She let it cool down added water and we took off again. It kept happening. I finally convinced her stop at a motel for the night. Same thing the next day. So the 7 hour trip turned into over 30 hours. We made it to my aunt’s house and my cousin made it to her reunion. Her husband ended up driving to get us the next day because I was due to fly home and most of my stuff was at their house. The van ended up with major repairs needed as by the end of our adventure there was water in the oil.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter