What exactly is a GAC?

Meezers

Mouseketeer<br><font color=purple>my cats eat and
I have been reading many threads that mention the Guest Assistance Card.

What exactly is it and what does it do? My brother has a very bad hip problem and does have a permanent handi-capped parking permit as walking and standing for long periods can cause problems (ie waiting for anything that doesn't have a fast pass...like Fantasmic!).

Would he qualify for a GAC and what has to be done to get one? Letters from doctors or forms filled out?

Any assistance much appreciated.

It's a card with customized instructions for CM's to help deal with your specific disability. For example, let you sit in the shade off to the side rather than inch along in the sun in line. (In the example a CM may issue you a "fastpass" with a come back time reflecting the posted wait time) You would need some document "officially" describing your disability if the disability is not conspicuous, letters from doctors are often used. The card is issued at Guest Relations at the park.

Almost all rides allow wheelchairs to go all the way up to ride vehicles, sometimes using a separate corridor, but much of the time you have to get out of the wheelchair and walk perhaps ten feet.

The GAC is not supposed to shorten the time you must wait to get on a ride, although some CM's cut corners performing their duties and just let you in (or cut corners performing their duties and send you on a wild goose chase finding the handicapped entrance).

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

DS 8 uses a wheelchair, and we do not get a GAC--CMs are accustomed to dealing with people with mobility issues. If your brother cannot stand for long periods, he would probably benefit from renting a wheelchair. If so, he won't need a GAC.

Here's what the WDW Guidebook for Guest with Disabilities has to say about Stamina or Endurance concerns, which is basically what your brother has:
Stamina or Endurance Concerns

Some Guests may be concerned that they do not have the stamina to wait in our queues. We strongly suggest these Guests consider using a wheelchair, personal scooter or Electric Convenience Vehicle (ECV), as the distance between our attractions is much greater than the length of our queues.

If he were to ask for a GAC, he would probably get that advice, based on his needs.
That is actually very good advice because the amount of time and distance spent waiting in lines is very small compared with the amount spent just getting around the parks. Many queues involve a fairly long distance walking even when the wait is short - the Kilamonjari Safari, It's Tough to be a Bug, Fantasmic - are some where you will walk a fairly long distance even if you can walk right in and don't have to wait. And, there are many situations where you wait and a GAC would not be useful, such as waiting in queues to buy food, etc.
Just for thought - It's about 1.3 miles to go around the waterway at WS in Epcot and it's at least an equal distance from the park entrance to that point.

Check into the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board for more information about renting wheelchairs and ecvs.

So, that said, what is a GAC?
The GAC (Guest Assistance Card) is a tool for CMs to have some information on what accomidations are needed by someone with an invisible disability. It says right on the GAC card that it is not meant to shorten or eliminate waits in line, just to provide necessary accomidation.
It is also printed on the card that if the guest want to avoid waits in line, they should make use of FastPass.
The accomidations are based on the needs that the guest explains to the CM at Guest Services in the park. There are several stamps that can be added to the GAC to give sort of general instructions, (things like "avoid stairs", etc). The cards have icons and the different messages are stamped in different colors so that the CM can glance at the card and see what general needs there are (they don't need to read the whole card and are not being lazy if they don't - they can get what they need by a quick look).
NOTE: Please don't list specific things that the stamps say. Disney tends to change them periodically, the stamp you think might be the best for you might not be the most helpful and having the exact language might lead to abuse.
How to get one - the guest with a disability needs to go to Guest Services in any of the parks and be able to explain their needs - you don't need to give a diagnosis or specific medcial information; what the CM needs to knwo is what the problems are and what sort of accomidations would help with that situation. The GAC is usually issued to be valid for your entire length of stay and the GAC you get at one theme park is valid at all the other theme parks (not Disney Quest or the Water Pardks though). The GAC can be for up to 6 people - 5 plus the peson with a disability. There are times when you may be asked to split into smaller groups - 1 or 2 plus the person with a disability because either the waiting area or the seating area for people with special needs is limited in size.
Not all attractions offer the same accomidations - most don't have any place to sit and wait (some may have quieter places to stand and wait, but if you need to sit, you are not guaranteed that unless you have a wheelchair or ecv).
When CMs let someone with a GAC bypass part of a line, it's usually for what they would call "operational reasons", i.e. right at that time, they may be better staffed and/or have no one with special needs on the ride, so it is easier for them to have you board right away.

In your brother's case, I would suggest a wheelchair or ecv. He will have a much more pain-free trip and will be able to keep up with the rest of your party. All queues are wheelchair accessible and most are ecv accessible.
AK and the Studio were built with Mainstream Access which means that the regular lines are accessible and wheelchair/ecv users wait in the same lines with eveyone else. MK and Epcot are older parks, so not all the queues were able to be upgraded to Mainstream Access, but all Fastpass queues and newer rides are mainstream.
Someone who can get out of their wheelchair/ecv and walk a few feet will be asked to park it and walk from the wheelchair holding area to the attraction car. For those who can't, the wheelchair/ecv can usually be pulled up to within 1 to 2 feet (or often even closer) to the ride car.

As was already noted, people using a wheelchair or ecv don't need a GAC because the CM can see that they need to use an accessible entrance. The exceptions would be someone who has additional needs that are not met just by having an accessible entrance and children with strollers they are using in line or special needs strollers (many of them look like regular stroller and are not recognized as a mobility device by CMs without a GAC that says they can be used as a stroller).

Thank you everyone for your assistance.

A wheelchair is out of the question at this time. DB does not have a mobility problem...I guess you could say it is a stationary problem :) The only time we have had a problem was having to stand while waiting for Fantasmic! so I guess that was the only reason I was asking about the GAC...that and we usually have to sit in the blue lined area as after standing that long the stairs into the ampitheater are not an option.

We do use the fast-pass so the only place we would have to use a GAC would be for the places where you have to stand. Hope no one minds if I stand and save his place....

Just in case....what documentation do you need to get a GAC? I am assuming that Guest Services won't just take someone's word for it? (Yes...I am cynical...cause I know I wouldn't).

Hopefully can get this last question answered and then print this whole thread out for a family discussion.

Oh...one more...do you need to get a GAC for each park?

Thanks once again.

Meezers said:
....what documentation do you need to get a GAC? ... do you need to get a GAC for each park?

I have been getting a GAC at WDW for almost five years now. I have never been asked for any documentation. Early on I explained what my "issue" is & received the GAC. Now I just bring the GAC from last time, so the CM knows what I have had in the past & I don't necessarily have to expain again.

I get a GAC at the park we first visit on each trip. The GAC will be good for the length of your stay. I believe there is a limit of six people (including the person who gets the GAC).

Meezers said:
A wheelchair is out of the question at this time. DB does not have a mobility problem...I guess you could say it is a stationary problem :)
I have never wanted to have to use a wheelchair. However, my problem has been with one hip and the other knee. I can walk, but I cannot do prolonged walking or standing without pain.

Several years ago on about the 5th day of a week-long trip I decided to rent an ECV from Disney. My wife said that it made it much easier on her because I was able to keep up with her and not slow both of us down.

If he has been issued a disabled permit for his medical conditions, I would think that an ECV would be a necessity. Two things to consider. One is that it will make the trip more pleasant for your entire group. The other is that he does have a disability, the people he will be traveling with know he has a disability, and there should be no reason in the world to worry about what anyone else in the parks thinks about him.

Meezers said:
A wheelchair is out of the question at this time. DB does not have a mobility problem...I guess you could say it is a stationary problem :) The only time we have had a problem was having to stand while waiting for Fantasmic! so I guess that was the only reason I was asking about the GAC...that and we usually have to sit in the blue lined area as after standing that long the stairs into the ampitheater are not an option.
If you have no trouble walking but just feel uncomfortable standing still, maybe a folding stool may help.

How's this for folks who can walk only short distances: Hang this sign on a wheelchair or ECV, "I can walk but only to first base"

seashoreCM said:
If you have no trouble walking but just feel uncomfortable standing still, maybe a folding stool may help.

How's this for folks who can walk only short distances: Hang this sign on a wheelchair or ECV, "I can walk but only to first base"
Cute idea for a sign.
They used to allow the canes that have a folding seat on them, but recently people have reported being told they may not bring them in because they are considered a hazard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter