What does “financially stable” mean to you?

If it the freezer died and must be replaced immediately - that’s an emergency. Take the money from your emergency fund and pay it back over the next 3 months. Not an emergency? Then save money for 3 months and then buy the freezer. Delayed gratification is a thing.

Financially independent people should not be paying credit card interest. What a waste of money.
No thanks. My way works for me. As I said before, I don't feel minimal CC debt is bad. In my example, a few dollars of interest doesn't hurt. I pay less in interest, by far, than most spend on drinks and/or tobacco.

If it the freezer died and must be replaced immediately - that’s an emergency. Take the money from your emergency fund and pay it back over the next 3 months. Not an emergency? Then save money for 3 months and then buy the freezer. Delayed gratification is a thing.

Financially independent people should not be paying credit card interest. What a waste of money.
I guess it depends on your income and how expensive a freezer you have. To me an emergency fund is for major expenses like the HVAC needing to be replaced, or a car. I don't think the freezers most people buy would rise to the same level.

If you have a true emergency fund (3-6 months of expenses) then you’d be able to afford your freezer without credit card debt or interest.
As stated before, to me, an emergency fund is more major events.....job loss, loss of house due to fire, sudden HVAC replacement. I'd put a freezer on a CC and pay it off in 3 months while eating maybe $30.

I guess we disagree on what an emergency fund is for. I can afford the $30 in interest....really that is just one meal at a restaurant spread out over 3 months. No biggie.

As stated before, to me, an emergency fund is more major events.....job loss, loss of house due to fire, sudden HVAC replacement. I'd put a freezer on a CC and pay it off in 3 months while eating maybe $30.
How do you get interest charges on just the freezer portion of your cc bill? Or do you have multiple credit cards, one just for things you're not going to pay off?

How do you get interest charges on just the freezer portion of your cc bill? Or do you have multiple credit cards, one just for things you're not going to pay off?
I don't usually use credit cards so my balance is generally zero on my 2 cards. But for example, I bought a freezer on a card and paid it off over 3 months. That was the only charge on it.

i get it. same boat-mom outlived dad by 30 years, i received social security survivors under the old rules till i aged out (actualy the program change happened a month before i would have aged out) BUT my mom was nearly 60 when dad passed so finding a job let alone a job that would have made up the loss in social security was not feasable (same boat most of her friends were in when their husbands passed). fortunatly they had considered the financial implications BEFORE dad retired and made decisions based on the 'what if's'. they were NOT fans of life insurance so nothing in that way but they did weigh the options his pension offered and opted for the one that paid less per month but would continue at the same amount for mom if he passed. that single preplanning decision put mom MILES ahead of her friends whose husbands opted for the higher pensions leaving their widows with a fraction of their incomes (and most were retired from mare island-you must remember it?-most of the retirees from there did'nt pay into social security so no benefit for their widows to rely on).

preplanning where you can.
It’s a gamble, my mom had a government pension and health insurance, she was always in such better health that my dad. When she was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer, he had Alzheimer’s, COPD, and was overweight, she was a health nut, exercised daily and ate healthy. Unfortunately they gambled on her outliving him. Had to pay an additional $500 a month for health insurance. He died 4 years later, and fortunately they had saved enough so he kept the house, and paid for a live in. They had a financial advisor and an attorney (plus my H, a CFP) to map everything out.

Now that I think about it, most financially stable people would be able to float an extra $1000 for a freezer anyway, they would just divert the monthly amount usually put into savings money into it...

I guess we differ on what an emergency fund is for. To me, an emergency fund is for expenses if I unexpectedly lost my job or my house burned down and I need money until insurance kicks in. It is not for buying a $1,000 freezer that I can pay off in 3 months and sacrifice maybe $30 in interest fees. But that is just me.

Now that I think about it, most financially stable people would be able to float an extra $1000 for a freezer anyway, they would just divert the monthly amount usually put into savings money in
Now that I think about it, most financially stable people would be able to float an extra $1000 for a freezer anyway, they would just divert the monthly amount usually put into savings money into it...
Let me get this straight, I should divert money that goes into my 401K to pay for the freezer? I'd have to contact my plan administrator, fill out forms, and wait a couple pay periods for the change to take effect. Then do it all over again to reset it back in 3 months. My EMERGENCY fund at my bank is only for emergencies and I never touch it unless in an emergency. My way is simple and it only cost maybe $30 in interest. Thirty bucks is nothing, a pizza and bread sticks on a weekend.

Let me get this straight, I should divert money that goes into my 401K to pay for the freezer? I'd have to contact my plan administrator, fill out forms, and wait a couple pay periods for the change to take effect. Then do it all over again to reset it back in 3 months. My EMERGENCY fund at my bank is only for emergencies and I never touch it unless in an emergency. My way is simple and it only cost maybe $30 in interest. Thirty bucks is nothing, a pizza and bread sticks on a weekend.
I doubt anyone would advise stopping 401K contributions to buy a freezer. Alot of financially sound people would simply use their extra money to buy the freezer. Then pay themselves back and save the interest. This is what we would do. But we keep a lot of cash around for emergencies and extra things that we need so we never finance anything.

the definition of financial stability is very different for my partner and I. I think we’re doing well, and maybe slightly better than the average mid 30’s couple. We have healthy retirement savings and pension, no credit card debt, bills in autopay, no car payments, rental property, and our kids have enough for post secondary education. Our mortgage and maintenance fees are very high but we manage. We have job security and very good safety nets if we suddenly lost our jobs. My partner thinks we’re not ok and is constantly worried. I want to enjoy life and travel as much as possible but they are always telling me that I over do it.

Or buy a less expensive freezer instead. They start at $200.

I doubt anyone would advise stopping 401K contributions to buy a freezer. Alot of financially sound people would simply use their extra money to buy the freezer. Then pay themselves back and save the interest. This is what we would do. But we keep a lot of cash around for emergencies and extra things that we need so we never finance anything.
I am not sure why people are so hung up about $30 in finance charges over 3 months. My EMERGENCY fund is for emergencies only. I'm pretty disciplined about that.

I am not sure why people are so hung up about $30 in finance charges over 3 months. My EMERGENCY fund is for emergencies only. I'm pretty disciplined about that.
Some people just have the mindset of "all debt bad!", without considering that some people make different choices. My personal favorite is, "always pay off your mortgage as fast as possible!" There's absolutely nothing wrong with having that goal...but, some of us have a really low interest rate, and can make more in the stock market, rather than selling off stuff to pay off the mortgage. That doesn't make others wrong on mortgages (or not wanting to pay any interest, ever), it just means that I've considered the options and do what's right FOR ME. Just like you do what's right FOR YOU.

There are plenty of other money decisions that are not one size fits all. Another of my favorites is "nobody has a pension anymore!" Um, yeah, they may be rarer, but some people have them. I can also see the case for some student loans (depending on circumstances and major), or even putting a vacation on a credit card.

What kind of interest rate do you have where you only pay $30 over three months?

Some people just have the mindset of "all debt bad!", without considering that some people make different choices. My personal favorite is, "always pay off your mortgage as fast as possible!" There's absolutely nothing wrong with having that goal...but, some of us have a really low interest rate, and can make more in the stock market, rather than selling off stuff to pay off the mortgage. That doesn't make others wrong on mortgages (or not wanting to pay any interest, ever), it just means that I've considered the options and do what's right FOR ME. Just like you do what's right FOR YOU.

There are plenty of other money decisions that are not one size fits all. Another of my favorites is "nobody has a pension anymore!" Um, yeah, they may be rarer, but some people have them. I can also see the case for some student loans (depending on circumstances and major), or even putting a vacation on a credit card.
I agree with most of that except for the part about putting a vacation on a credit card unless you mean the money has been saved and the vaca (card) is immediately paid off.

What kind of freezer are you buying for more than $30 in finance charges?
I don't remember what we paid for our Sub Zero freezer in 1999 when we built the house, but I just looked up the model we had and they're $12,000 now. That'd decimate my IRA! :laughing:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter