What do you think would surprise Walt the most about today's Disney parks?

I think he would be disappointed in how much of his original work remains unchanged. He always wanted to bring new things to the guests, not simply rehashing the old stuff.

I think he would be disappointed in how much of his original work remains unchanged. He always wanted to bring new things to the guests, not simply rehashing the old stuff.
Agree. He would be disappointed that:
1. The COP has not 'progressed'
2. Speedway is still using gas
3. Tiki Room, Tom Sawyer Island and Tree House are wasting valuable real estate.

Agree. He would be disappointed that:
1. The COP has not 'progressed'
2. Speedway is still using gas
3. Tiki Room, Tom Sawyer Island and Tree House are wasting valuable real estate.

I think he'd be okay with the DL treehouse since they have upgraded it a time or two. The WDW one is pretty stagnant though. I'm not sure he would know that gas is no longer required, but I bet he'd wonder after checking out a few rides with full EVs in them! He might think that "new" last scene in COP is representative of "the future!" 🤣

I actually think he would be most blown away by Animal Kingdom with the real animals, something he had always wanted to include, and from an imagineering perpective Carsland at DCA - it's everything he ever envisioned!

I think he would be incredibly frustrated with how the experience has been designed from top down in myriad of ways to recalibrate things very much towards customer as opposed to guest. Despite having zero experience of the technology he would immediately kick against the effort necessary for guests to both plan and actively partake in a visit to the parks today and point out how it flies smack in the face of leaving the world behind to simply walk through the gates into fun and enjoyment at every turn.

I think he would be upset that quality has given way to quantity when it comes to the guest experience. There is a famous story of him getting angry that the Jungle Cruise boats were going through the attraction so fast that guests couldn’t identify the animals. He wanted the guests to have the best experience possible. He ordered everyone working the attraction to be retrained, and came back a while later and instead of riding through once to check that the changes were in place, he rode every boat on the attraction to make sure the quality was there. He was always checking to make sure his park was top notch. I think he would be less concerned about gate price than whether the guest was getting what they paid for and then some. He believed in plussing the park and attractions, not cheapening them.

I think the technology available today would fascinate him, and I think he would be pushing the boundaries of what that technology can do, not only for attractions but in the resorts and transportation property wide. I think he would have more futuristic transportation company wide so that roads would be reduced and in some areas eliminated. His plans for EPCOT were key in this respect because he made the roads the least prominent part of the overall design.

He might be disappointed at the amount of alcohol consumed in the parks. I know it’s been said that he commented he didn’t want alcohol in Disneyland because that brought in a carnival element that he didn’t want in his theme park. Carnivals at that time had bad reputations for rowdy and often unsafe conditions, and he wanted to set his product apart from that. Things have changed a lot since that time though. He had definite ideas about how clean and safe he wanted his park, so even though he liked a drink himself, I don’t believe he would have wanted to compromise his vision too much in that direction. I don’t think he would have had an issue with alcohol sales at the resorts or shopping districts, but the parks may still have been more limited if he were in charge.

Overall, I think he would be pleased with the big picture, but would have issues with a lot of details that erode the guest experience, and be on someone to fix them ASAP.

Oh, I strongly disagree. He wanted to add new things, but I think he wanted a core of amusements that did not change. Classics that generations could come back to. Things like Main Street. The Matterhorn, the Railroad, the Castle.
I wish we could get his opinion of all the Star Wars additions. I am not at all convinced he would approve of that.

Oh, I strongly disagree. He wanted to add new things, but I think he wanted a core of amusements that did not change. Classics that generations could come back to. Things like Main Street. The Matterhorn, the Railroad, the Castle.
I wish we could get his opinion of all the Star Wars additions. I am not at all convinced he would approve of that.

I think Walt would be very impressed with Star Wars. George Lucas has a similar mindset and I think Walt would respect the artistry. He might have only been upset that Fox produced it instead of him!

Prices, alcohol, and need for more classic rides. To me Disneyland=::MickeyMonot outer space or action figure based. I am very thankful a lot of you on here enjoy those additions :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest