What do you do for Christmas dinner?

maslex

DIS Veteran
Normally we head to my brother's house Christmas Eve for appetizers, snacks, games and a Yankee Swap. Then Christmas Day, I would make a big turkey dinner (sometimes ham) with all the fixins and my sons with their families would either be here for dinner or pop in after they went to their in laws. Not too sure what their plans will be. BUT I was thinking for this year, maybe doing a day of appetizers & snacks throughout the day. MAYBE make a small turkey and pull it apart for sandwiches, but just having a easy kick back day.

What are plans? And what are your favorite apps/snacks to have for the holidays?

For us it all depends on if we're traveling. If not, we have a big dinner with our housemates. If we are, then we eat wherever we can get a reservation.

When home, we have bagels for breakfast, casually open gifts and listen to music and then just leave it a lazy day to relax and eat.

We have overnight egg casserole and cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning.

Christmas dinner (around 3-ish, depending on DS and DDIL's schedule) is prime rib, pierogis, some veggie, rolls, and pies (apple and French silk).

Christmas Eve is at my in laws...we each bring an appetizer or cocktail and have Prime Rib...I always make cinnamon buns Christmas Morning and some sort of long cooking meal to eat a late lunch/early dinner with just the three of us

Not sure what we’re doing yet. We might be hosting or we might be going to visit family. Everything is still up in the air. If I had my way, we’d be heading south. :)

If we‘re home, we’ll have appetizers Christmas Eve, a big breakfast Christmas morning, and a big turkey feast at dinner.

When I was a kid, we did the whole turkey and trimmings dinner. As we got older, we realized that Mom was spending most of Christmas in the kitchen, so we decided to do something easy. One year we has sub sandwiches and chips.

Now that our parents are gone, my sister, BIL, and I get together at my house. Since we do the whole turkey thing on Thanksgiving, I make a baked pasta dish I can prepare the day before and have in the fridge to just pop in the oven (it’s actually a lasagna recipe, but I use farfalle pasta instead of lasagna noodles to make prep and serving easier). They usually come over the afternoon of Christmas Eve, so we have pasta that night, and the leftovers on Christmas Day.

Not making a meal this year. My family and I will be on a Western Caribbean cruise!

When not traveling, Christmas is very low key (just my parents, sister and I) and we do the typical turkey meal with Italian sausage bread and cinnamon rolls for dessert.

Previously DW's side of the family would have a big dinner at my MIL's house with ham, lots of sides and some desserts, but she passed away in April. We haven't really planned anything so far. I'm thinking of taking DW someplace because I know it's going to be a tough one for her.

We usually do pasta and meatballs one night, and a beer roast with potatoes the other night. We'll also make and decorate cookies and eat those all week.

Not sure, as I posted in another thread, we are just now starting to plan Thanksgiving dinner. We started yesterday looking for a small frozen turkey as we will only have 5 for dinner, and one is a vegetarian. As in about 7 pounds. All they have in the stores are 20 pound Butterballs. Too early to have put any thought into Christmas. Also have DW's birthday before Christmas.
Christmas dinner has evolved over the years. Will just be 3 of us this year, DW and DD and I. DS and his family moved 400 miles so they won't be here. Christmas was never a day off work for DW and I, so we always had to plan around that. And DD's job is the same, Christmas is a normal work day, but luckily this year Christmas is on a Monday, which is her regular day off

I have everyone at my house for every holiday. The menu is always the same…
Ham
Baked Potato
Corn
Sweet Cheese Pierogies
Hawaiian Rolls
Desserts

One day I’d like to get away from this menu, but it’s what all the parents like so we stick with it.

I'm not sure yet.
For 30 years we've done various seafood items on Christmas Eve and roast duck on Christmas Day. This year we already to decided to change things up, although we haven't landed on exactly what yet. Currently thinking about Fondue on Christmas Eve and various seafood items on Christmas Day.
We don't do a formal sit-down meal on Christmas Day anyway, so whatever it is will be something that is easily picked at thru the afternoon.

I just Christmas breakfast for family and friends. Christmas dinner is much smaller and we choose a different cuisine to mix it up. We have done Italian, Greek, Turkish, India, Mexico....not sure what this year will be yet.

Christmas morning I make a big breakfast at home. About 5, we go to my aunt's house and have a big pasta dinner. My cousin from New York is always in town and he is an amazing cook. He makes homemade pasta with Alfredo sauce.

Christmas Eve rotates between my two DDs, I host Christmas. We have a brunch and then open gifts, my son-in-laws step-family joins us for dinner along with any of our kids friends that can't travel home for the holiday.

No idea exact plans or food. I will be traveling to visit my aunt, cousins, and their families (I am an only child and my parents and all my grandparents have passed). I know of late they have been doing their big family get together Christmas Eve so that my cousins and their individual families can have Christmas morning together. No clue what the food will be, may depend on budget.

I would also like to visit some friends but again, it depends on everyone's plans.

Christmas Eve is usually a standing rib roast with mashed potatoes and a veg.

Christmas day is at Benihana. We needed a new tradition several years ago and this was the one I came up with. Reservations are already made and it always a fun and festive time no matter who we get seated with!

There is also usually a large family party sometime in the week before Christmas with the whole extended family with a potluck and the Yankee Swap.

I just Christmas breakfast for family and friends. Christmas dinner is much smaller and we choose a different cuisine to mix it up. We have done Italian, Greek, Turkish, India, Mexico....not sure what this year will be yet.
I do this too. Some of the past ones I’ve done are France, Great Britain, soul food/southern cooking, and a general island/tropical theme. The island one was for the year I gifted my family a cruise, but my son had covid so I had to run the meal over to him. We will finally cruise this summer.

Oh, doing Greek this year. I have already tested all the recipes for the meal, which relieves a lot of the stress from the unknown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter