What Costco foods would work for a luau?

Earstou

DIS Veteran
I have a Costco membership, but I have to travel to get to one. I haven't been for awhile, and won't be able to go until right before the party. What food does Costco carry that would work great for a luau? I would like to plan what I need to make from scratch and what I can rely on Costco having. I've heard they have great frozen meatballs that I could put in teriyaki sauce. Do they still carry the meatballs? Anything else?

If you mean Aidell's pineapple chicken meatballs, they're pretty good. They're the first thing that I thought of when I read the title. You can call you closest Costco to see if they have them. I don't know if your Costco does this, but we can order party platters in advance, including shrimp and sushi platters. Our Costco also carries King's Hawaiian rolls, they're a local product, so I don't know if all stores have them.

Idk about your Costco, but ours has a few varieties of poke, which is practically destined for your luau! Would be expensive to get party portions, though

Our costco usually has fresh pineapple spears and mango spears. They also have Chinese chicken salad kits that you just add lettuce to - they have romaine in big packs. Meatballs with teriyaki sauce, a pot of rice, shrimp platters, and even some seaweed snacks, everything can be purchased at Costco. I think even the "Italian style" meatballs in the big bag could be doctored up as teriyaki meatballs. I regularly do them bbq style.

I like the idea of Hawaiian rolls - maybe with sliced ham, swiss cheese and some mustard. I saw an idea recently where someone sliced open the whole pack of rolls in one swoop and then put the fixings in and slid the whole thing back into the wrapper to keep. Then when it's time to serve you take it out and separate the rolls into servings by slicing on the individual roll lines.

Our Costco has frozen meatballs and they're very good. I get them quite often for parties. Their meat is wonderful as is their frozen seafood. They have frozen potstickers and lots of fresh/frozen fruits and vegetables. They have a seaweed salad that is wonderful. I know they have prepared rib but I've never had them.

If you mean Aidell's pineapple chicken meatballs, they're pretty good. They're the first thing that I thought of when I read the title. You can call you closest Costco to see if they have them. I don't know if your Costco does this, but we can order party platters in advance, including shrimp and sushi platters. Our Costco also carries King's Hawaiian rolls, they're a local product, so I don't know if all stores have them.
I haven't seen the chicken meatballs, but that would be perfect. I was thinking about the beef ones. Allergic to shrimp, but it would be a good idea otherwise.
I love the King's tools, thanks for mentioning them, I had forgotten about them!

Our costco usually has fresh pineapple spears and mango spears. They also have Chinese chicken salad kits that you just add lettuce to - they have romaine in big packs. Meatballs with teriyaki sauce, a pot of rice, shrimp platters, and even some seaweed snacks, everything can be purchased at Costco. I think even the "Italian style" meatballs in the big bag could be doctored up as teriyaki meatballs. I regularly do them bbq style.

I like the idea of Hawaiian rolls - maybe with sliced ham, swiss cheese and some mustard. I saw an idea recently where someone sliced open the whole pack of rolls in one swoop and then put the fixings in and slid the whole thing back into the wrapper to keep. Then when it's time to serve you take it out and separate the rolls into servings by slicing on the individual roll lines.
The fresh pineapple and mango would be perfect, I had been planning to cut up pineapples, but this would save time.
Where in the store are the seaweed snacks, I haven't seen those, either. Are they good? I remember my neighbor giving us some dried seaweed and my family didn't like it.

Our Costco has frozen meatballs and they're very good. I get them quite often for parties. Their meat is wonderful as is their frozen seafood. They have frozen potstickers and lots of fresh/frozen fruits and vegetables. They have a seaweed salad that is wonderful. I know they have prepared rib but I've never had them.
It's sounding like I can get just about everything at Costco! This will be a lot easier than I originally thought! Thanks everyone for all the ideas.
Any more?

Depends on the location. The main problem with pineapples (which Costco does carry) is that they might not be ripe. If you really want to get into it, the ones I've seen have Kona Brewing beers, although they're actually brewed and bottled in Colorado. If you really want to get in the spirit, see if you can find Primo.

Of course if you're willing to go to Hawaii, their Costcos could easily provide luau stuff. Poke was mentioned, but over there they have tons of Hawaiian staples like Kalua pork.

f04bb5a6cfad902e16e361f9cd2daeb5.jpg

http://www.dreamweddingshawaii.com/hawaiian-luau-the-costco-way/

Bcla, I would LOVE to go to Hawaii again, but right now that's not in the cards.
Kona Brewing beers sound like a fun touch, but Dh can't drink alcohol at this time due to a medical condition (also why we're not going to Hawaii). Mahalo!

Pork butt and/or shoulder for Kalua pork. (Don't use loin, as it's too lean for that)

The Pork Shoulder/Butt is what I used for our Luau, when we returned from Kauai.
Easy to throw in the big crock pot. Plenty of salt, then finish with some pepper and vinegar before is done, fork tender...

I bought a pineapple barbeque sauce, Served it on the side.

I also made a very simple Hawaiian style potato mac salad, threw in some Krogers premium frozen peas, they are great.

I did not focus on any Japanese/Asian foods like Terriyaki.

Those meatballs with the pineapple sound great, like they would work well!

And, of course the fresh tropical fruit.

I served Coconut Cream Pie..... I think I bought the Marie Calanders, frozen, which was actually very good.
Just don't let it reach room temp... begin to thaw then keep in the fridge!

Well - maybe Spam? I love Spam musubi. The nori might be easy or hard to get depending on where you live. A medium grain rice works well. Of course not everything has to come from Costco. I think their soy sauce probably only comes in 5 gallon restaurant buckets.

640x478_ac.jpg

There are a lot of different recipes. There are a couple of styles. The picture shows the one with a thin band of nori. I've also had ones where the nori wraps around the entire piece.

The seaweed snacks are near the chips, etc. I think they're gross, but some people must like them! I see a lot of my students eating them.

The seaweed snacks are near the chips, etc. I think they're gross, but some people must like them! I see a lot of my students eating them.

Their seaweed snacks are Korean though. Not quite sure how Hawaiian they are. I personally like them.

From my trips to Hawaii I remember the big things were pineapple (and if you can find an actual Hawaiian grown pineapple that's a plus), taro, and Spam. I mean - I was eating Spam, rice, and eggs at McDonald's.

My first trip I could get enough of taro chips.

LOL. Hawaii embraces many cultures. I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for the spirit of Hawaii, not a made in Hawaii theme.

LOL. Hawaii embraces many cultures. I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for the spirit of Hawaii, not a made in Hawaii theme.

I've been to a few luaus - or at least Hawaiian themed events. Someone really close to me graduated from the University of Hawaii, and I gone to a few alumni events as a result. They were somewhat fun events where they brought local hula schools and catered meals from local Hawaiian style restaurants. However, I do remember the pineapples that were used as centerpieces at each table. Someone actually asked if they were Hawaiian-grown.

There are a lot of things that are popular in Hawaii, but I don't know if they would necessarily be considered Hawaiian like Chinese food, Portuguese sausage, and Teriyaki are staples there. Now loco moco, Spam entrees, etc might be.

I don't know if Costco is really going to be the place to find this stuff. I've found that my local Japanese grocery store actually deals in lots of things that are almost uniquely Hawaiian. I think a lot of ethnic Japanese around here are transplants from Hawaii or have a parent/grandparent who was.

Like I said, cancel the luau. The pineapples aren't Hawaiian, they eat Chinese food in Hawaii and, wait for it, teriyaki! Spam might not even be allowed at a luau. And you certainly can't serve food from Costco, the pineapple might not be Hawaiian!

LOL, I'm not worried about authenticity! While I have been to Hawaii a few times, most of my guests have not, so we are just going for the fun atmosphere of a luau. It's for a very ill relative and I hope to give her lots of aloha! Since many people are invited, I want to make the food easy enough for me to handle in large numbers.
I so appreciate everyone taking time to help me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest