• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are the Latest Hurricane Preparations in HHI?

jerseygal

DIS Veteran
Positive thoughts that everyone vacationing, cast members, residents in HHI are kept SAFE!
What are the latest preparations in HHI? :confused::eek:Hope the area can avoid sever damage!:wizard:

When they discuss where the storm will hit they are referring to the center of the storm. This storm is over 500 miles wide. Therefore wherever it hits there will be effects for 250+ miles in any direction. So if the center comes ashore in northern South Carolina there will still be effects of the storm in Hilton Head!
Hurricane Sandy ‘came ashore’ in New Jersey. I live on Long Island and we had severe flooding, loss of power for days to weeks and massive damage from wind. And we were not near the ‘center’ that came ashore in New Jersey.

Matthew devastated HHI. The best scenario would be for Florence to take a turn away from land or be downgraded. Not hopeful either will happen.:worried:

From the member website:
September 10, 2018

With Hurricane Florence approaching the U.S. East Coast, Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort will close on Tuesday, Sept. 11 and is expected to remain closed through Monday, Sept. 17. Please continue to check back for updates.

Members and Guests with questions about an upcoming reservation should contact Member Services

By the way, today is one year since Irma made landfall on SW Florida but was wide enough to affect the entire state.

I spoke with the Title company we work with in Hilton Head and they told me that they are having a mandatory evacuation come 12 noon tomorrow (September 11th). Let's hope Florence takes a turn into the Atlantic and goes out to sea....leaving the Eastern Seaboard alone.

September 10, 2018

With Hurricane Florence approaching the U.S. East Coast, Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort will close on Tuesday, Sept. 11 and is expected to remain closed through Monday, Sept. 17. Please continue to check back for updates.

Members and Guests with questions about an upcoming reservation should contact Member Services at (800) 800-9800. To read more about Disney Vacation Club's hurricane policy, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions.

Aren't HH owners already paying a special assessment for prior storm damage? Hope they are missed with this storm and others.

:earsboy: Bill

With a mandatory evacuation (which was ordered yesterday and is effective in less than 3 hours now), hotels are required to turn away guests. Residents may remain, but could be without emergency services, hospital, etc. The HH hospital started moving patients yesterday in preparation for today's closure.

HH is well south of the current predicted storm surge area and even Charleston is now towards the southern edge of the cone. Charleston is 2 hours north of HH.

While not currently inside the predicted 'cone', Florence will still deliver rain and wind to the HH area. Savannah, GA is about 25 miles away (as the crow flies), but has no evacuation order in place which hopefully bodes well for the general HH area.

Aren't HH owners already paying a special assessment for prior storm damage? Hope they are missed with this storm and others.

:earsboy: Bill

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resor...ead-owners-hit-with-bill-for-hurricane-damage

Disney Vacation Development is loaning a total of $750,000 to the Hilton Head Island Condominium Assocation to help cover insurance deductibles from storm damage. The loan is for a period of 4 years. Over that span, interest will accrue at a modest rate of 1.33% per year componunded monthly. The total charge billed to 2017 dues for repayment of this loan is $.1133 per point or $155,126 total.

The full text of the budget note is as follows:

DVD has made a loan to the Association to fund repairs related to Hurricane Matthew in the amount of $750,000, which is the estimated amount not covered under its insurance policy due to the deductible. This loan will accrue interest at 1.33% per year compounded monthly and will be repaid by the Association in monthly installments over the next ve years beginning January 1, 2017. The Association will make approximately $155,126 in payments on this loan in 2017.

Timeshares reserve the right to issue special assessments to owners to cover unexpected charges of this nature. Disney Vacation Development's willingness to back a low-interest loan, allowing owners to pay off the obligation over the course of several years, is somewhat unique. It would have been within Disney's rights to charge the full $750,000 to owners in 2017, a move which would have cost owners around $.75 per point during the coming year.

At first I wanted to buy in at Hilton Head, and I still would love to own points there, but maybe with these storms, not so much. But HH is the bomb! I love this resort so much.

Always keep in mind that the edges of the "cone" are the potential track of the eye of the storm, not the outer limits of the winds, rain and damage. So it's possible for the eye to actually make landfall farther south than what's currently the center of the cone. HH isn't in the cone right now, but the farther south the eye actually goes, the more potential damage to HH.

With strong personal memories of Betsy, Camille, Katrina, Ike and Harvey, I'm praying for all those in the path of this hurricane. I'm glad the SC/NC/VA governments were proactive and ordered evacuations early!

We live in Wilmington NC and leaving tomorrow. This storm will be historically devastating and that includes the South Carolina coast as well as North Carolina and even Virginia.

Ok, so what resorts are currently paying extra in dues for hurricane damage? HH, SSR and Vero?

Ok, so what resorts are currently paying extra in dues for hurricane damage? HH, SSR and Vero?

I think only HHI, currently, but Vero was just missed by the same hurricane that hit HHI, so it could happen at anytime.

This morning's forecast seems to indicate that Florence may make a LEFT turn and crawl DOWN the coast. Not great news for HHI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter