What are the colors in your kitchen?

For some reason OP, my "sense" is black cabinets with some kind of black/tan flecked countertop and the red accents. Some kind of tan walls.

We recently re-did our living room. Got rid of the country wallpaper & border. Got rid of the tall, skinny hutch that housed our DVD's and knick knacks. Got rid of the knick knacks and everything else on the walls. Even though I still love the country look, it was time for something new. Now my living room is a very light gray color. And the only thing on the wall so far is our mounted TV. It was previously on a TV stand. We got a smaller, more narrow stand to go underneath the TV. And eventually, I hope to find a nice canvas print to go on the big wall.

Now, it's time to start thinking of the kitchen. I bought some paint over the summer with the hopes of having my brother paint it, but it hasn't happened yet. And I'm thinking for the good. I bought a light yellow to help brightened up the place but now I want something totally different. First off, I'm hoping to be able to replace my cabinets, then sell my hutch and jelly cabinet that are taking up one whole wall and put cabinets on the bottom, with a counter top and then more cabinets on the wall. That would give me 6 extra cabinets!!!! I sooooo need them.

But here's my idea. My kitchen and hallway share a wall so every time I paint the kitchen, I paint my hallway to match. It just flows better. Plus I have wainscoting in both my kitchen and hallway. I think it's like an oak wood color. Not sure, could be maple. LOL Anyhow, I'd like to paint the kitchen/hallway a dark tan (not brown) but not a light tan. And then get all new appliances in black. Right now I have all mismatched appliances and I'm just sick of them. Stainless side by side fridge, white stove and a white dishwasher with a black front. TIME TO BUY NEW!!! Then I would accent the kitchen with red. So it'd be a tan/black/red kitchen. I have one window in my kitchen and would like to get a red curtain of some kind, some red canisters for my counter top, etc. I also plan on getting those big black fork & spoon for over my dishwasher. I just love those!!!

Now, knowing that I'd have black appliances and dark tan walls, what color counter top and cabinets should I look for? Should I go all black with the cabinets and lighter counter top? Or an oak/maple wood color for the cabinets and a blackish counter top? Something different? And I'd also like to do a back splash too. I'm not sure if I want tile, beadboard, subway tile or what.

Any ideas from those who have done kitchen remodels?

Go for a wooden counter top. We love ours. The only upkeep is applying a food safe oil every few weeks.

We have wooden counter tops and painted cabinets.

The upper and lower cabinets are painted in Annie Sloane's Provence. The blue is really a bit darker than the swatch shows:
provence120.jpg

The island in Annie Sloane's Emperor's silk with a Bordeaux granite top:
EmperorsSilk.jpg

The Annie Sloane paints are not cheap BUT you don't have to prime unless the wood is not sealed at all and the paint goes far. I painted all of our cabinets with 1 quart.

The walls are painted a light golden yellow. The range and dishwasher are stainless and the fridge and freezer have the same fronts as our cabinets. Accents are red with a black French wire chandelier over the island for accent lighting and pot lights for overall lighting.

The theme would be French/Mediterranean I guess.

Go for a wooden counter top. We love ours. The only upkeep is applying a food safe oil every few weeks.

We have wooden counter tops and painted cabinets.

The upper and lower cabinets are painted in Annie Sloane's Provence. The blue is really a bit darker than the swatch shows:
provence120.jpg

The island in Annie Sloane's Emperor's silk with a Bordeaux granite top:
EmperorsSilk.jpg

The Annie Sloane paints are not cheap BUT you don't have to prime unless the wood is not sealed at all and the paint goes far. I painted all of our cabinets with 1 quart.

The walls are painted a light golden yellow. The range and dishwasher are stainless and the fridge and freezer have the same fronts as our cabinets. Accents are red with a black French wire chandelier over the island for accent lighting and pot lights for overall lighting.

The theme would be French/Mediterranean I guess.

Love this!!

Our cabinets are painted blue as well... kind of a blue jean or liberty blue. Our walls are a light buttery yellow.

We have a black chandelier over the kitchen table, & our fixtures are brushed nickel.

We're ready for Phase 2 which will be new butcher block counter tops & a new backsplash. The backsplash tiles are painted Mexican tiles w/ a yellow, blue, & green design - we've had them for forever.

Our theme is seaside cottage w/ some Mediterranean influences.

Sage green is probably the accent color, but I'd also like to throw in some pops of red or orange.

I have mostly black appliances. Light blue Formica. A medium brown stain cabinets. Under the chair rail we have a medium to dark blue paint, above the chair rail a light grey. I love it it has a be achy feel with the art work and lighthouse curtains.

We remodeled in my mom's house earlier this year before we moved in. I would have loved black cabinets (or "espresso"), but my mother hates anything dark. She wanted wood tones, so we compromised...

It was the kitchen area, a "sitting room" with horrible old scratched 70's half-paneling (that needed removing), and an enclosed, unused porch off the kitchen (no heat). We took down half the wall between the kitchen and porch, installed heat, and insulated it to make a new sitting room. Cut a pass-through between the kitchen and old sitting room, took down the paneling, and made that into a true dining room. Anyway, here are a few photos of the kitchen:

IMG_1433_zps31171d46.jpg

IMG_1429_zps00df0319.jpg

IMG_1355_zps26876602.jpg

The cabinets are Medallion, cherry wood, pecan finish. The countertop is WilsonArt HD, Bella Capri. The little bit of paint is Behr "Grounded." Not sure what the floor is, except that it's white oak (there was a bit of a kerfuffle in getting what I originally chose, so Mum and a salesperson picked out something similar). I had a hard time finding the khaki subway tile backsplash, but the flooring place had it - white wouldn't have looked very good, and the pretty glass mosaic ones would have clashed with the countertop. I personally loathe stainless steel appliances, Mum hates "pebbled" black, so we bought Whirlpool "Black Ice." Window treatments were custom made by Budget Blinds. I fell in love with the mercury glass pendants at CT Lighting Center, but they were too big to go over the sink as well. The salesperson sort of talked me into the burgundy pendant...
IMG_1362_zpsf0cdae1b.jpg

I'm actually surprised that the red accents look as good as they do in there. Anyway, that's my new kitchen and I LOVE it!

OP, personally I would get whatever counters and cabinets I wanted. Paint can be easily changed and it will probably be easier to work around that, rather than match something to paint.

I am smack in the middle of a total kitchen remodel right now.

We went all of the way down to the studs but, like you, are keeping our black appliances(for now).

When we ordered the cabinets we went in with a plan on an off white style. The cabinet people explained that because wood expands and contracts, sometimes the seams of lighter cabinets will be more visible. I didn't like the idea of that.

I ended up choosing "Natural Hickory" cabinets.
1330104684HamptonNaturalHickoryProductHomePage2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
(This isn't my kitchen...just an example of the cabinets.)

We went with a black granite top, and like HappySnowman said, it's got some speckles in it.

The wood of our cabinets is really beautiful so we want to highlight that by painting or walls dark. I feel like everyone is going red or brown so we found a dark blue that words really nicely.

*Just sharing to maybe inspire :thumbsup2

The paint in this picture is pretty darn close to the color in my kitchen, with oak cabinets and hickory (a bit darker than the cabinets in this picture) floor. My appliances are stainless with black and my quartz countertops are a darker tan with speckles of cream, shades of brown and cream/brown glass.

Our glass tile backsplash is cream, grey and shades of brown. Hardware is a darker bronze color and my sink is dark brown granite. My accent color is red, which I've used in the curtain above the sink, a floor rug and a couple accents on top of the cabinets.

We just did a semi-redo on our kitchen. We have maple cabinets, stainless appliances and I painted the walls Haitian Flower with white trim. The Haitian flower is like a dark raspberry. I love it! My SIL, a realtor, commented that a future buyer would not like the color. I told her I painted it for ME, not the future owner. Do what you like and enjoy it! I like the darker colors.

We have a dark raspberry color on the kitchen walls, too. The cabinets are oak, cream colored countertops, and white appliances. The curtains and rugs are medium olive green, and accents of cocoa brown. I love the dark bright color on the walls.

Walls are a very deep red, cabinets are cream with brushed stainless hardware. Floor is grey/cream. Counters are granite....cream/sage/black/burgundy/grey.....it has a lot of 'movement'. Appliances are stainless. I can change the color of the walls....not a lot of wall showing anyway. Because there so much 'color' in the granite, I can choose from many colors. But I do love my red.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter