What a surprise... Indecisive again...

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
My poor TA is earning her commission with me with my scheduled cruise for sure!

This one started as the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Wonder over Easter week 2019.

Then changed to the Dream 4-night Double Dip over my birthday because birthday on Castaway sounds about perfect.

Then I found out about and joined the National Women’s Martial Arts Federation and learned about their summer camp which is usually the same time frame as the Double Dip.

Changed to a Fantasy Eastern at the end of August just before school goes back in session.

Then my sister started posting pics of Alaska and the Wonder, and I changed to that at roughly the same time frame as the Fantasy - a few days earlier, but still.

But now I am pondering going back to the Fantasy. It is a little more - and during hurricane season...but it is also new-to-me ports (my other Fantasy did St Maarten and San Juan - this would be Tortolla and St Thomas) And I am a little afraid of the weather in Alaska in late August. My previous non-Disney Alaska cruises were around this time (late-mid July) and we had gorgeous weather. But I do love Alaska and would like at some point to experience it DCL-style (so I am NOT interested in Alaska on another line).

I am so torn as to which one to do!! After this most recent RCCL cruise, I am in no hurry to go back to them, and not really interested in another line as generally being solo and not into the Concierge thing, the rates are not the huge differences families and Concierge/Suite people see.

I think it depends on what kind of trip/weather you’d like more? Do you want a relief from summer heat and to see some beautiful sights (mountains, glaciers, etc). Or do you want to savor the summer weather, and enjoy the beach and crystal clear waters of the Caribbean?

For what it’s worth, I loved St. Thomas. The water was warm and so turquoise it looked like a swimming pool. I am a beach person and love being in the sand and snorkeling and doing boat trips where I can do both of those. If I could do a catamaran excursion every day of vacation I’d be a happy camper. But other people get tired of the same sights or get bored at the beach.

One day we’ll do Alaska, but I can’t see it happening any time soon. We get enough cold weather in Boston, I don’t really want to go searching out cool/cold rainy weather or snowy landscapes during the brief summer we get. I’d take a Caribbean beach any time. Maybe one day when we retire to a warm weather climate I’ll be more motivated.

I will confess, the Wonder is probably my fave ship as I have been on her so much. And Alaska is beautiful, but I went in May and July so no help on weather there. That being said, if your main draw is new ports, go with the Fantasy cruise. I would be more leery of cruising out of Florida in September as I think that is a higher chance for hurricanes, late August "should" be ok. You have until summer 2019 to keep changing your mind:rotfl:

If I were you I would do the cruise on the Wonder to Alaska. Here's why--if I remember correctly, you haven't been on the Wonder before. I personally think the shows on the Wonder are the best, especially Frozen!! I didn't really like the shows on the Fantasy though. I wouldn't let the possibility of bad weather in Alaska stop me from going there, I'd be more worried about the hurricane threat in the EC. Rain in Alaska won't ruin a cruise, a hurricane or tropical storm will ruin a cruise. I'm guessing you would be on the first cruise back to Tortolla, the Aug 28. Would you really want to be going there right now, doesn't sound like it would be the best experience. If the time and price for Alaska works for you now, then that's also a reason to go. It might not work for next season, plus you can only go to Alaska for a short time period. Sadly Disney never changes the Fantasy routes, so you can go to the EC any time of the year. We were on the Wonder this past March and I thought we'd miss the Aquaduck and mid-ship detective agency, we didn't. We did Alaska on DCL in 2014, I'd love to do it again. We are booked to do the EC on the Fantasy next Jan, right now I'm kinda blah about it. Booked it before the hurricane, I don't really care about the excursions, but the price was good and we've done the WC already. I know we'll have fun, but CC is really the only port I'm excited about.

Ok, after reading the other posts I guess you're thinking about a year from now, so what I said about going this summer doesn't apply. Tortolla should be better by 2019. I would still pick Alaska though, by the end of summer I'm over hot weather and look forward to cool temps, so that's why I'd prefer Alaska. I prefer going to tropical places in the winter, so I'd save EC for during one of your winter breaks.

Last edited:

So hurricane season is what it is - you kind of accept that plans may change due to Mother Nature and trust in the captains and cruise line to do what’s best.

Alaska’s still on my list of cruises to take. So my completely biased opinion is that if you find a good deal for Alaska then go for it. And I know you don’t want to hear it but keep an open mind if your TA finds a good deal on a single cabin on another line.

I would go to Alaska. We like the Alaskan weather better than the Caribbean in August. Save the Fantasy for winter.

Wonder to Alaska (not my choice but know how you feel about Disney). Unless you LOVE beaches and shopping, St. Thomas and Tortola are blech. And we usually sail that last week in August (did the Fantasy last year at that time) and it is so hot - too hot! That's why we're going to Alaska this year!

I think it depends on what kind of trip/weather you’d like more? Do you want a relief from summer heat and to see some beautiful sights (mountains, glaciers, etc). Or do you want to savor the summer weather, and enjoy the beach and crystal clear waters of the Caribbean?

For what it’s worth, I loved St. Thomas. The water was warm and so turquoise it looked like a swimming pool. I am a beach person and love being in the sand and snorkeling and doing boat trips where I can do both of those. If I could do a catamaran excursion every day of vacation I’d be a happy camper. But other people get tired of the same sights or get bored at the beach.

One day we’ll do Alaska, but I can’t see it happening any time soon. We get enough cold weather in Boston, I don’t really want to go searching out cool/cold rainy weather or snowy landscapes during the brief summer we get. I’d take a Caribbean beach any time. Maybe one day when we retire to a warm weather climate I’ll be more motivated.

I would suggest going sooner rather than later. 1.) The glaciers are receding in Alaska. In about 10-20 years, they may not be available for the cruise itinerary. 2.) It is just spectacular. TV and films don't do it justice.

Ok. I think I've decided to stick with Alaska (it'll be my 3rd time...and I'm more of a wander the towns or go on a whale or bear watch girl in Alaska...I've seen the glaciers and they're pretty and all, but I didn't get teary over them or think they were the only reason to go).

But I'll compromise and change from an inside to an ocean view cabin. (I've done the verandah thing before...and invariably when I'd be out there, the whales or bears or moose would be on the OTHER side of the ship, so I'd miss them or have to go to another deck anyway). Deck 2 forward - I'll update once I hear from my poor TA as to which one she was able to move me into (I asked about some on the further back section of the forward part of Deck 2 because I know DCL doesn't show every available cabin on the page - and other sites I looked at seem to be restricted to the aft section. If not, then the early 2000s or 2500s.)

We did Alaska at the end of August last year. The two sea days and Ketchikan were great, sunny and shorts weather. Skagway and Juneau were both cloudy, cool and drizzle, but not to the extent that it interfered with our excursions. I’d say go for it since nomatter when or where you go Mother Nature can have either a good or bad impact and you can’t plan for it.

My poor TA is earning her commission with me with my scheduled cruise for sure!

This one started as the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Wonder over Easter week 2019.

Then changed to the Dream 4-night Double Dip over my birthday because birthday on Castaway sounds about perfect.

Then I found out about and joined the National Women’s Martial Arts Federation and learned about their summer camp which is usually the same time frame as the Double Dip.

Changed to a Fantasy Eastern at the end of August just before school goes back in session.

Then my sister started posting pics of Alaska and the Wonder, and I changed to that at roughly the same time frame as the Fantasy - a few days earlier, but still.

But now I am pondering going back to the Fantasy. It is a little more - and during hurricane season...but it is also new-to-me ports (my other Fantasy did St Maarten and San Juan - this would be Tortolla and St Thomas) And I am a little afraid of the weather in Alaska in late August. My previous non-Disney Alaska cruises were around this time (late-mid July) and we had gorgeous weather. But I do love Alaska and would like at some point to experience it DCL-style (so I am NOT interested in Alaska on another line).

I am so torn as to which one to do!! After this most recent RCCL cruise, I am in no hurry to go back to them, and not really interested in another line as generally being solo and not into the Concierge thing, the rates are not the huge differences families and Concierge/Suite people see.

Hurricane Season barely influences the weather here in Quebec (Canada)... Once in a while we get remnants but it's mostly rain... And Alaska is more to the north so I wouldn't worry too much about the season.

Nights will be a bit cooler but you should be comfortable during the day. If you had liked pools, I would have been tempted to say to you might even be able to swim sometimes.

Hurricane Season barely influences the weather here in Quebec (Canada)... Once in a while we get remnants but it's mostly rain... And Alaska is more to the north so I wouldn't worry too much about the season.

Nights will be a bit cooler but you should be comfortable during the day. If you had liked pools, I would have been tempted to say to you might even be able to swim sometimes.

The hurricane season was a consideration for the Fantasy. Not the Wonder.

I have been to Alaska before, so I am aware of what to expect. Though planning on it being a bit cooler and wetter than my July trips.

The hurricane season was a consideration for the Fantasy. Not the Wonder.

I have been to Alaska before, so I am aware of what to expect. Though planning on it being a bit cooler and wetter than my July trips.

Alright. I was just trying to help. Lol

I've lived near the north of Quebec so I thought I could be of some help regarding weather in august but hey, I guess not. ;)

Alright. I was just trying to help. Lol

I've lived near the north of Quebec so I thought I could be of some help regarding weather in august but hey, I guess not. ;)

It’s ok. I appreciate it.

Sounds like a great trip! I think you made the right choice. Alaska for us is much more expensive than the caribbean (we are a family of 5 so limited options) so it sounds to me like a steal that you got a lower Alaska rate. We cruised in Alaska (non-DCL, pre-kids) in August, and while it was chilly, we had very little rain (peak rainy season is mid-June to mid-August), so I actually thought that was the best time to go in terms of weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter