WestJet New UltraBasic

samsteele

DIS Veteran
I received the following email last week. Basic fare replaced with new UltraBasic last June 4. No carry-on included except for personal item like small backpack, purse or similar that can fit under seat in front. Other restrictions as below.

I'm curious what others more in the know with Canadian airlines think about this. I have a bad feeling any actual price reduction will be short lived given fuel prices, seasonal surge pricing, etc. Everyone and their granny has tried to game carry-on resulting in crowded cabins, flight delay and free last minute checking of obviously oversized carry-on suitcases if you wait until the last minute announcement at the gate. It was inevitable that an airline like WestJet would respond by eliminating overhead carry-on luggage. Think JetBlue did this years ago. Interesting that when I forwarded the email on to family and friends they all commented favourably and believed this was WestJet's response to Porter's success and is a win for consumers.

Here's the email:

"WestJet is committed to providing our guests with fare options that provide affordability, choice, and flexibility. We want to empower our guests to choose the products and services they value most so they can match their travel experience to both their preferences and budget.
As a valued member, we wanted to inform you that on June 4, 2024, our Basic fare is being replaced by our new UltraBasic fare. UltraBasic is still our lowest price fare option and will result in price reductions across domestic and transborder routes. However, it does come with restrictions. It is important to understand the limitations of UltraBasic and what this means for you and your benefits:
  • Carry-on bags: Carry-on bags are not permitted unless you are travelling on a transatlantic or transpacific flight, or if you purchase Extended Comfort for all flights in a single direction, including connections. Personal items that fit under the seat in front are allowed and there is the option to check a bag in advance for an additional fee. If you arrive at the gate with a carry-on bag when not permitted, it will be checked with both a checked bag and a service fee applied.
  • Pre-assigned seats: You will be automatically assigned seats at the back of the aircraft, including middle seats, which may not be together if you are travelling with others. You have the option to choose your seats for an additional fee.
  • Boarding: You will be the last to board.
  • Not eligible for changes: Changes, cancellations, or refunds are not permitted with this fare.
  • WestJet Rewards earn: Opting for this fare means you’ll miss out on earning WestJet dollars and tier qualifying spend.
We believe these changes will help us continue to provide competitive air travel options while focusing on operational excellence. By expediting the boarding process and optimizing cabin space, we aim to enhance on-time performance and improve your travel experience."

As for Air Canada, I just heard a rumor complementary wine, beer and a snack will now be offered in economy/Air Rouge for US destinations. Previously, we were lucky to get a tiny cup of water. Perhaps Air Canada's perk emphasizes that Porter Airlines has drained some sales? Hard to believe this is a credible response but maybe just a beginning salvo by AC and we should expect a WestJet-style change to Air Rouge as well?

Much of what is above is why I switched to Southwest a number of years ago and never looked back. For those who have the option to drive into the US and fly from there, I highly recommend looking at their flight options.

No carryon restrictions, 2 pieces if free checked luggage per person — and our Aug flights (direct both ways) are under $300US/person. I’ll take it!

Yes, a little further to drive each way as I drive right by the Toronto airport but for us, it’s worth it not to be stressed about being nickled and dimed for everything.

Unfortunately, I'm in eastern Ontario nowhere near Buffalo and my closest US airport is Syracuse. Southwest announced it will end flights of Syracuse in early August. So JetBlue is the only affordable option. They also have tiered prices for carry-on luggage. With the cost of a Syracuse airport hotel for an early morning flight plus parking and the currency exchange, there may not be much daylight between JetBlue and Air Rouge and WestJet out of YYZ. Like anything, I'd have to do the math. I'm happy for those of you closer to Buffalo. Affordable options are great.

Now I'm wondering if Air Transat will follow this. The carry on game on my Orlando flight last summer was just bad. People with too many bags, oversized carry-on ... many carry-on checked for free (now why did I pay for my checked luggage?), fighting for an overhead spot for the small carry-on shared by our family of 4... at least my younger one still get us in pre-boarding.

I still remember the time before check bag fees, boarding was just easier.

If you're willing to live with the restrictions and the price is better, I guess it is nice to have options. I'm willing to pay a bit more to sit close to the front to deplane quicker so this new option does not matter to me. Although I do have the Westjet credit card which gives you a cheap companion flight, we are flying out of the US more and more, as it is still usually much cheaper, and I much prefer crossing the border by land and avoiding the chaos at YYZ.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2024/0...customers-just-stay-home-and-give-them-money/

I live close to Pearson. Westjet is now usually the 3rd best option out of there behind Air Canada and Porter. Won't make much of a difference to me. Buffalo isn't always cheaper, not like back in the pre-merger days when there was still Air Trans, US Airways, Continental and Northeastern.

Hi, we fly WestJet a few times a year, usually Florida. We have WJ credit card so we get free checked bags. Never use overhead bins as I bring a backpack and DW has a soft carryon bag. Like to sit near the front and board last. I think some folks have heard the post pandemic horror stories of lost luggage and with the costs of checked bags, seat selection etc, has led to the trend of more carryons!

Much of what is above is why I switched to Southwest a number of years ago and never looked back. For those who have the option to drive into the US and fly from there, I highly recommend looking at their flight options.

No carryon restrictions, 2 pieces if free checked luggage per person — and our Aug flights (direct both ways) are under $300US/person. I’ll take it!

Yes, a little further to drive each way as I drive right by the Toronto airport but for us, it’s worth it not to be stressed about being nickled and dimed for everything.

Hey! Is this from Buffalo airport?

Flying from Halifax, the WesJet flight times have become unpalatable. Even the couple direct flights offered on Friday and Saturday don't get you into Orlando until 7:30 pm. I like to travel early in the day to maximize time on property, but the current slate of flight options don't allow early arrival unless you leave a day early and overnight it in Toronto. I'm a WJ MasterCard Elite member and just recently got an Aeroplan card to book with Air Canada. AC prices have come down a bit and their flights are much better timewise.

I am no where near a border. So my options are limited. I usually go with WJ Econo anyways. I have never done the basic. I now account for the fact that I have to pay extra for seat selection …miss free exit row at check in. The price that includes seat selection doesn’t make sense for me dolce I get free checked bag. It’s cheaper just to pay for the seat selection separate.

I fly AC on occasion. If the flight times are not working for me with WJ. (I don’t trust the so called cheaper airlines. The extra fees add up quick)

I used to not mind West Jet, but they really seem to be adding a lot of extra fees and annoyances compared to Air Canada.

I recently purchased some new carry on luggage, and when I was researching my purchase I learned that West Jet has smaller dimensions for carry-ons than pretty much any other North American airline. A small thing, but all the small things are starting to add up to make me much less likely to consider West Jet.

I live close to Pearson. Westjet is now usually the 3rd best option out of there behind Air Canada and Porter. Won't make much of a difference to me. Buffalo isn't always cheaper, not like back in the pre-merger days when there was still Air Trans, US Airways, Continental and Northeastern.
I too live close to Pearson, find it fine no issues at all. End of Sept im flying Porter for the first time I've read positive reviews from Porter in general so I decided why not. I'll report back after the trip.

As much as I would like to make a switch - when you live in a more remote area - our options for flights are kind of limited. WE can either do WJ or AC. Unless we are willing to drive 4.5 - 5 hr to the nearest bigger center - which with the price of gas/parking as well as probably a hotel for a night or two, it isn't worth it for us to look elsewhere.

Right now when we book WJ we would NEVER book the barebones booking anyways. So for us - it's a mute point. We are at a higher tier with WJ as well - which helps to have us continue booking with them.

BUT

If they would extend services to my area - we would be VERY tempted to abandon ship and try Porter. The nickel and diming WJ has been doing the past few years is tiring. They are a far cry from when they first appeared on the market.

They had a ttravel expert on the radio a few days after this came out. Apparently all of WJ's other fare categories INCREASED in price with the introduction of this new fare. So for those of us who would never fly on the cheapest fare, its actualy a negative because our fares got more expensive.

Add to that that WJ has one flight a day from my city to YYZ which means for some connections you have to overnight in Toronto, and WJ becomes less and less appealing.

I flew Porter earlier this year for work and while the service was great and seats comfortable, they had the smallest airplane washroom I have ever seen - wasn't possible to be hygenic -- and for that reason we will not be flying Porter again unless there is no alternative.

they had the smallest airplane washroom I have ever seen - wasn't possible to be hygenic -- and for that reason we will not be flying Porter again unless there is no alternative
That's not good. Although for a direct flight from YYZ to MCO, I probably don't need to use the washroom so wouldn't influence my decision. However, I'm very fortunate that I don't have any health conditions that require frequent toilet use. I have heard very good to almost glowing recommendations from family friends re Porter so would strongly consider it for my next flight to MCO if the price is right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter