Western Caribbean ports excursion questions

halfmonkey

DIS Veteran
Hi. We set sail in one week on the Icon of the Seas sailing the Western Caribbean. The family is super excited and we've never been to the Western Caribbean. We're stopping in Roatan, Puerto Costa Maya, and Cozumel. I tried searching for threads on these three locations but couldn't find any as it seemed to focus on the Grand Cayman Islands so hoping to ask for some assistance here.

We're interested in booking some excursions and hoping to get people's feedback, tips, suggestions, etc on what might be best to do in these three ports. I've looked at the available excursions and here are my thoughts. I'd love to get your feedback.

Roatan - Our family loves monkeys so I'm thinking of booking one of the Monkey and Sloth excursions. It seems that they have multiple versions of the basic excursion so aside from the obvious animal included in the excursion, can someone with experience in the excursion explain what is the main difference from one to the other? If this isn't a good excursion to pick, what do you suggest?

Puerto Costa Maya - I'd like to book the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins for this port. We've never been and the kids have learned about the Mayan Ruins so when I mentioned it to them, they were pretty excited. Again, they have multiple versions of excursions that visit the ruins. Is there one that is better than the other or just pick the cheapest one? If this excursions isn't a good one to go to, please let me know what you suggest.

Cozumel - I'm thinking of booking a swim with the dolphin experience. Again, there are multiple versions of this excursions and the description doesn't really help to clarify exactly what is different from one offering to the next. If anybody can help clarify, I would appreciate it. Again, if this isn't a good excursion, what do you recommend instead?

Thanks.

We did this itinerary on Icon in May.

We booked a private tour in Roatan through Victor Bodden Tours that included the sloth & monkey encounter. We really enjoyed that!

We weren't able to dock in Costa Maya due to wind but we had just planned to stick around the port area anyway.

We've been to Cozumel many times. We've done the SeaTrek helmet dive and the dolphin swim at Dolphinaris. Both were really fun!

I'm currently looking the excursions in Puerto Costa Maya and wondering if anybody has any experience with these specific excursions so they can clarify what the differences are.

We're looking at Chacchoben Mayan Ruins, Chacchiben Mayan Ruins & Uchbenkah Lagoon, and Chacchoben Ruins Exclusive Drive. I suppose the excursion including the lagoon is self explanatory but the other two seem like they're basically the same thing but the Exclusive Drive must mean something because it charges more for the excursion. Does anybody know the exact difference between the two? If so, please explain. Thanks.

We just did this itinerary in July but on Harmony. Here are the excursions we did (all 3rd party)...

Costa Maya (Cooking Class): https://www.viator.com/tours/Costa-...-stops-beach-Day-free-pick-up/d4345-139937P14
Roatan (Zipline, Monkeys, Sloths, Beach): https://www.viator.com/tours/Roatan...-Beach-Resort-at-West-Bay-Beach/d4132-39620P1
Cozumel (ATV Adventure): https://www.viator.com/tours/Cozumel/ATV-Ride-to-the-Jade-Cavern/d632-3386P12

Here's the video from the cruise which includes some of the excursions...

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest