We're Going to Have a Lot of Big Protests!

Agreed. Although I don't attend services there are many Churches in Portland that welcome the Gay Community and during the Pride Parade many of the marchers are from these congregations.

It was the same way in Seattle :)

It's like Reverend Lovejoy said on the Simpsons: "Have you looked into any of the other major religions, they're all pretty much the same you know."

I love how we get all bent out of shape on little details when religion is pretty much the same all over! Sure we can have our differences but why fight about them? :confused3

:lmao:
OK. That was a good one. No, I'll pass. I prefer my abosolution with gin, thanks. :teeth:

I wasn't raised Christian, and I do not attend religious services. I was just wondering how many of you do. Do you like your congregation? What is your sect's position on homosexuality and same-sex marriage?
...but can you imagine what it must be like for gay Catholics and gay Mormons?

I think it really depends on where you go. I've been to several churches that welcome the gay and lesbian community. It's a matter of location as well. If you're in the city then you can find several places that will welcome you.

Agreed. Although I don't attend services there are many Churches in Portland that welcome the Gay Community and during the Pride Parade many of the marchers are from these congregations.

Yes. I'm religious and regularly attend worship. My DW is on church council (and several other committees). While other churches tend to lose their teenagers we've been offering a youth program that draws them in and we now have 3 different youth groups (gr 6-7, 8-9, 10+). I run the youngest one with a co-leader and my DW runs the middle one with 2 co-leaders. So, we're pretty involved.

My congregation certainly has a reputation as being GLBTTQQ friendly and we are officially an Affirming Congregation in the United Church of Canada. But, there are many, many progressive churches around here and many congregations that welcome the GLBT community.

In the annual pride parade here roughly one-third of the groups that march are religious groups of some form. There was also a serious coalition of religious groups that protested when the government dragged their heels on making legislation that would make equal marriage country-wide and acquired intervenor status in order to argue in favour of equality.

I know many people who think of themselves as former Catholics or former Mormons because of this issue (I note these two groups because they were discussed above). But, I also know many current Catholics who are strong supporters of equal marriage and equal rights. (Hey, Jean Chretien (former Canadian Prime Minister) even let himself get ex-communicated over the issue.) I don't know many Mormons, but, I have met some who believed in equal marriage. I just wanted to remind everyone that even when it appears that there is a group opinion there is still a minority within the group that is hard to see.

I'm heading out to the local protest in a couple minutes. Yesterday it was in the 60's with blue sky, today it's cool and rainy on & off. Right now the sky is getting dark so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the heavy rain holds off. I hope everyone checks in later today with some updates.

Well, I can report that I officially went to my first protest today! I didn't know if I would be able to make it so I didn't call any friends, I just went on my own. I assumed I would see people I knew there but it was rainy and the ground was getting muddy so I didn't walk around. The crowd was a decent size and I was happy to see a few straight couples with their kids. Cars driving by kept beeping their horns and shouting support. There were a few speakers, some signs and a lot of chanting in unison. One speaker is our local NY State Assemblyman (Sam Hoyt) and he talked about how he and Danny O'Donnell (Rosie's brother) co-sponsored a marriage bill a few years ago but it was shot down by the Republican majority. He promised that now that the Democrats are in charge they will get the bill passed! The crowd went crazy. He also talked about officiating at the commitment ceremony for his sister and her partner and how emotional it was for him.

As I was standing there looking around I saw two women huddled under a Mickey & Minnie umbrella and I thought of all of you. Then I thought of all the other people protesting all across the country at exactly the same time, it was a powerful feeling. Truthfully, I'm quiet and introverted but this whole election debacle has made me angry and motivated me. I plan to continue to be involved and do anything I can to give us equal rights. This is our time!!

Well, I can report that I officially went to my first protest today! I didn't know if I would be able to make it so I didn't call any friends, I just went on my own. I assumed I would see people I knew there but it was rainy and the ground was getting muddy so I didn't walk around. The crowd was a decent size and I was happy to see a few straight couples with their kids. Cars driving by kept beeping their horns and shouting support. There were a few speakers, some signs and a lot of chanting in unison. One speaker is our local NY State Assemblyman (Sam Hoyt) and he talked about how he and Danny O'Donnell (Rosie's brother) co-sponsored a marriage bill a few years ago but it was shot down by the Republican majority. He promised that now that the Democrats are in charge they will get the bill passed! The crowd went crazy. He also talked about officiating and the commitment ceremony for his sister and her partner and how emotional it was for him.

As I was standing there looking around I saw two women huddled under a Mickey & Minnie umbrella and I thought of all of you. Then I thought of all the other people protesting all across the country at exactly the same time, it was a powerful feeling. Truthfully, I'm quiet and introverted but this whole election debacle has made me angry and motivated me. I plan to continue to be involved and do anything I can to give us equal rights. This is our time!!

This was such an encouraging post! :goodvibes Thanks for sharing!

I was expecting some anti-protestors but it really was all positive. I hope some other folks post about the protests in their cities and I hope we keep using this thread as a clearing house for information.

Good for you, Sue. There was a protest in Phoenix yesterday but I was unable to attend.

My wife and I have just returned home. We attended the protest 8/2 rally at City Hall in downtown Orlando.

Beautiful people! Inspirational speakers sharing their experiences fighting against the legislation of hatred. GREAT signs!!!!

I have to say Mayor Buddy Dyer and the City Council are supportive of our lives, and our needs. The Orlando City council voted to have domestic partnership benefits extended to same gendered couples. The vote was unanimous. (Did I spell that right).

Commissioner Patty Sheehan, a lesbian spoke and did she speak. She was forthright, pulled no punches and made it clear that not every one who is elected to office is only concerned about getting re-elected. The woman is fearless.

There was at one point a small group of the religious right (reported...I didn't see them as we were standing on the steps of City Hall) across the street. However, our people took the four corners and had cheers going, horns blowing and pure love for ALL ruled the day. There was no violence, no hatred spoken, no ugliness. It was as it should be. Honest, truthful and very dedicated.

Anger and rage were present, but displayed in the signs, in the speakers comments. No obscenities were spoken, simple acknowlegement of the fact that the constitution of these United States cannot and will not be violated in such a manner. A righteous, healthy anger. It feels good.

HRC was there. Equality Florida was there. Impact was there. ACLU was there. Clergy (supportive) were there. No on 2 volunteers were there... and on and on...

I took a zillion photos, but not sure if I'll be able to post them here. We'll see.

We're pretty beat, so I'll close for now but I'll add more later.

We are not going to rest you know. Just in case anyone thinks it's over. It's not. It won't be over until all Americans have the same rights, the same privileges, and are governed by the same laws.

There was music playing as the group gathered. The song that actually kicked off the Protest Rally was this one. How perfect. If you've never heard it, you can find it on youtube with no effort.

Proud
Heather Small

I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I am on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
You could be so many people
If you make that break for freedom
Still so many answers I don't know
Realise that to question is how we grow
So I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I am on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
It's never too late to try
You could be so many people
We need a change
Do it today
I can feel my spirit rising
We need a change
So do it today
'Cause I can see a clear horizon
So what have you done today to make you feel proud?
'Cause you could be so many people
What have you done today
You could be so many people?
Just make that break for freedom

Thanks for reporting on the protests. It sounds like people are really getting motivated and it's great to hear about the politicians who a supportive and prepared to fight-the-fight.

I cannot tell you how clearly that message was sent today. This is the beginning of the end for hate legislation. More people than you or I could honestly have imagined are galvanized by the injustice of what has happened.

It's really gone too far, the intolerance and the hatred. Too many people have been hurt. True diversity is the clarion call.

Old adage said today, but true. A battle may have been lost, the the war is on and that we SHALL win.

I was there, too!

It was very cool.

I was there with one gay friend and THREE CSPs! (They rock!)

There were quite a few CSPs in attendance today. We can't do it without them, and they're ready to stand up for our rights.

As DVC-OKW mentioned, there were many groups in attendance. The P-Flag mom who was afraid to speak in public was on of my particular favorites.

I'm hoping to have a couple pictures to post as well. Have to see how they turn out.

Best signs of the day:

"Let Joe Six Pack Marry Joe the Plumber"

"I Can See Gay Marriage From My House!" (with a caracature of Sarah Palin)

A picture of a dog with a thought bubble that read, "Let My Daddies Get Married!"

I'm so glad we went!

The signs were great weren't they? :teeth:

"STOP GAY SEX!!! ALLOW US TO MARRY!!" That one really cracked us up!

Yes, the PFLAG Mom was great. So was Patty. I liked the Cuban Gay RC priest in the end too. I don't know how many more descriptives he could have gotten into his "title." :teeth:

It was great that the rain never happened. Looked a little cloudy at one point, but then it cleared up.

You guys rock! Sorry...for once I should have called in "sick"!

I cannot tell you how clearly that message was sent today. This is the beginning of the end for hate legislation. More people than you or I could honestly have imagined are galvanized by the injustice of what has happened.

It's really gone too far, the intolerance and the hatred. Too many people have been hurt. True diversity is the clarion call.

Old adage said today, but true. A battle may have been lost, the the war is on and that we SHALL win.

"Giant"

You tried to hold us down
You tried to hold us back
You tried to make us wrong
You tried to make us crack

You wanted to see us cry
You wanted to see us leave
You didn't count on the tide
You didn't count on the pride
You didn't count on me

I am a giant
And you will not make me fall
And you will not make me crawl
I am a giant
And I'm not alone
Winds of change have blown
And walls come tumbling down

And I learned from my mistakes
Pick myself up of the floor
I have learned just what it takes
Now I am stronger than before
And we are standing side by side
We are determined now to win
We come too far
And we've got the scares
And we are never going back into the shadows again

I am a giant
And you will not make me fall
And you will not make me crawl
I am a giant
And I'm not alone
Winds of change have blown
How the walls come tumbling down

~Melissa Etheridge

FighttheH8.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter