Well, we can sure tell the school season has started again.....Update, page 8 # 143

I do think a good question would be how the kid got an AR type rifle INTO the school. I mean, I get many schools don't have metal detectors, and wouldn't fault one for not having one, but does an rifle of that type fit into a backpack? Surely he wasn't wearing a long coat to conceal it, right? Wouldn't a long coat have been a red flag in this weather?

Agreed.

One thing I've not read about and I'm sure I just missed it, but how did he get into the school?? It sounded like he was NOT a student there right?

The whole thing seems so strange.

If he's not a student. Then how did he get into the school, not to mention how did he get a rifle that typically has a 16"-20" barrel and would be around 36" or so in total length. Now he could have broken down the rifle into the main two pieces being the lower and upper receiver, but you'd still have 2 pieces. they could be put into a backpack but then again how did he get into the school?

If he was a student, then maybe it's easier and he broke the rifle down and assembled in a bathroom?

I do think a good question would be how the kid got an AR type rifle INTO the school. I mean, I get many schools don't have metal detectors, and wouldn't fault one for not having one, but does an rifle of that type fit into a backpack? Surely he wasn't wearing a long coat to conceal it, right? Wouldn't a long coat have been a red flag in this weather?
The reports are when he left his classroom he took his backpack with him.

Most rifles, AR-15 included, can be broken down into smaller pieces that would easily fit into a normal sized school backpack.

what is the background of a School Resource Officer to determine what is a credible threat or not? I ask because I'm genuinely curious. I'm glad there was a SRO in this case because it sounds like they helped to stop the shooting by confronting the shooter.
In the district where my house is assigned to has 16 SRO officers for the district plus 2 supervisors. The SROs are police officers that are assigned to the schools.

The neighboring school district has District Police Officers (DPO) and Campus Police Officers (CPO) both categories are also police officers.

The other big district in the county says "Campus police officers and school resource officers (SROs) focus on building these relationships within their school communities to provide safe environments for students at school and at school-sponsored events. School resource officers are sworn members of local police departments who serve in middle and high schools." That particular school district "also has a commissioned campus police department with officers serving across the district. Campus officers receive an average of 60 hours of professional training. A minimum of 40 hours annual training (required by the state)" "Campus police officers serve on the Juvenile Officer Association, Unite KC, Juvenile Corrections Advisory Board and the district’s Flight Team."

I would imagine that they not only have their own protocol for being an SRO at that moment but also as a police officer which may mean they loop in their police department, tactical team or FBI or other resources depending on the situation.

My wife and I were doing some grocery shopping last night and walked up to a conversation between the cashier and bagger.

We placed our items on the belt and just listened, not trying to be nosy but just waiting to checkout. We did not interrupt them as they seemed like they were in a conversation they both needed to have.

Both were students at Apalachee High School and were talking about their experience. The cashier was in an entirely different wing of the school building and did not hear any shots. She just assumed it was another hard lockdown drill at first.

The bagger was one hallway over and said he heard loud sounds prior to the lockdown and knew something had happened.

Both talked about how they had not seen any blood or bodies and had not had classes with any of the student or teacher victims nor knew the shooter.

They finished up their conversations, we told them we were so sorry they had to experience the shooting, because what else could we say, paid for our groceries and left.

At my wife's school there were many people who had been close to Richard Aspinwall. Before teaching at Apalachee High he taught at Mountain View High School which is the high school the elementary school my wife teaches at feeds into. Many of the teachers/admins kids had gone to Mountain View and been coached by or taught by Mr. Aspinwall.

There was just a shooting 20 minutes ago at a school that’s only like 15 minutes from me. Insane
There was just a shooting at a school near my house also. My dd worked there last year but is now at another school only a mile away from this one.

I just saw now that you named the school. Yes that is the same school that I was writing about. I guess we live near one another.

Threats don't equal schools closing as I said it depends on what the threat is. Threat doesn't necessarily mean bomb threat or a mass school shooting either, threat can also mean a bag or other object that may have something in it, a student's backpack that they have a gun in it but don't intend to use it for a school shooting, it can be vague as well. My point was if a school has to be closed because of a particular threat then that's what should occur (not to be confused with the sole action one can only possibly take), whether a student would take advantage of that or whether it would become too routine for people and so they don't take the threat seriously does not mean a school shouldn't then take action, the consequences of not doing so could be tragic. No one wants that. The public takes things more seriously than in the past, more students are willing to speak out and say something, more abilities to say you saw something on social media which makes it easier if someone is nervous about speaking out.

Kids joke about it until something actually happens. We had a lockdown for several hours when I was in high school due to a bullet shell found by the bathroom, sure we all grumbled about it, but no student is ever going to joke about it if an incident actually occurs. Around here with threats sometimes they closed for a day, sometimes several days, sometimes it was more police presence, sometimes it was a lockdown if a bag was found, an SRO officer is called (either to the school or if already at the school to the admin office), or police themselves are called, etc.

I'm wondering if you're not separating out when talking about whether a threat should be taken seriously or not the difference between getting a threat and the appropriate persons are notified and what happens next depends on the situation vs shrug it off. What my comments have been aimed at is that the threats are dealt with in various ways rather than just shrugging them off and mostly talking about a school making that decision to just shrug it off.

This is an example of taking a threat seriously, one that was vague one that wasn't even known to be credible or not. https://fox4kc.com/video/kcpd-investigating-threats-at-east-high-school/9691175/ In the video one of the schools mentioned says what they did https://www.kctv5.com/video/2024/05/13/smsd-responds-threats-popular-social-media-outlet/ this is another example https://www.kshb.com/news/crime/ray...s-security-thursday-after-social-media-threat and this was one that occurred in the summer of 2022 https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article262529762.html where schools across the metro closed for activities and programs due to a threat.
My first post was in response to that if the school had received a warning, everyone involved should be fired. My argument was supposed to be that even if they had received a warning, it does not mean that the school failed at responding, as it may not have been related to the shooting, or they may not have had time to actually evaluate it, and it can be difficult to determine what is a real threat from a prank threat when they come in all the time. I failed to make that clear.

It sounds like the shooter, like so many others from the past, did not live the ideal American dream life.

https://archive.ph/pKvKE

The courts placed him with an abusive father because the father was less abusive than the drug addicted mother.

I am not sure what we as a society should have done better but there is certainly room for improvement.
Sounds like he never had a chance
My wife and I were doing some grocery shopping last night and walked up to a conversation between the cashier and bagger.

We placed our items on the belt and just listened, not trying to be nosy but just waiting to checkout. We did not interrupt them as they seemed like they were in a conversation they both needed to have.

Both were students at Apalachee High School and were talking about their experience. The cashier was in an entirely different wing of the school building and did not hear any shots. She just assumed it was another hard lockdown drill at first.

The bagger was one hallway over and said he heard loud sounds prior to the lockdown and knew something had happened.

Both talked about how they had not seen any blood or bodies and had not had classes with any of the student or teacher victims nor knew the shooter.

They finished up their conversations, we told them we were so sorry they had to experience the shooting, because what else could we say, paid for our groceries and left.

At my wife's school there were many people who had been close to Richard Aspinwall. Before teaching at Apalachee High he taught at Mountain View High School which is the high school the elementary school my wife teaches at feeds into. Many of the teachers/admins kids had gone to Mountain View and been coached by or taught by Mr. Aspinwall.
Sorry your community was affected.
Poor teens that had to endure that and still work this week.

We had a shooting locally. Not a school shooting, but at a private home. 4 killed. It was a 21st birthday party and one of the guests had a jealous ex boyfriend. He walked into the properly and was looking for the former girlfriend, and shot people as he encountered them. Three young people and the birthday honorees mother were killed.

The shooters father had given him the AR style gun as a gift. The shooter had served time for statutory tape of a 13 year old. He was not allowed to legally have a gun. After release he was caught with another 13 year old girl in his car. The judge let him go.

Last edited:
If it was broken down it wouldn't be all that difficult. The biggest piece is the barrel that is about 21" in length. If it wasn't broken down, that would be a very good question.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/joppatowne-high-school-september-6-2024-emergency-response/62083087

So there was an "incident" that needs investigated. No confirmation that it was a shooting. (Again, not faulting @disneydreamer1980, just take what's on social media with a grain of salt).
It was indeed a shooting at Joppatowne High School. Happened in a bathroom between a 16 year old (suspect) and 15 year old. The local sheriff had a briefing around 2:45 on it.

DW taught the victim.

apparently there's an active sniper situation along I-75 in Kentucky....not sure if they're shooting randomly at drivers but that's what it sounds like? Both sides are closed still as far as I can tell.

Update: 10 people shot possibly, 4 at a gas station :sad1:

apparently there's an active sniper situation along I-75 in Kentucky....not sure if they're shooting randomly at drivers but that's what it sounds like? Both sides are closed still as far as I can tell.

Update: 10 people shot possibly, 4 at a gas station :sad1:
This is happening relatively close to me right now. So far, all we know for sure is that someone was shooting at cars on the interstate and multiple people have been shot. They've released an image of the suspect, but as of now, he is still at large. The terror everyone on that freeway is feeling right now, as they're stuck in their cars waiting is unimaginable. The people who live around there who are waiting and praying the shooter is found is horrific. The thing is, these acts of violence have become so common, and they create traumas extend SO far into communities. What a horrific, painful week we have endured as a nation. Tragically, one of many. We can argue about best paths forward, but surely we can agree that something MUST change. Words written in a completely different time and place cannot be more important than our lives and than the chronic trauma we are enduring at the hands of weapons of war.

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest