WDW Becoming Too Micromanaged

My example of the horses was to show the increasing restrictions on the pleasures of being at WDW. I used to pet the horses years ago. Right on Main Street USA. I went right up to them, took photos, petted them. So did everyone else. Then, gradually, there was security around them, then you couldn't pet them or go near them. Now, when you go to the barn to visit them, you have to answer 20 questions at a security gate just to get into Fort Wilderness to just look at them behind 2 fences. That is just a small example of a change that WDW has implemented over the years that take away the small joys of the Disney experience.

I sincerely started this thread because I know I am not the only one having unpleasant feelings towards WDW over the past few years as the resort has become more and more regulated. Like I said, this goes beyond Covid. I noticed these changes over the past few decades. It is just this vacation was the first time I have hit a wall. Like I said, the room search was my breaking point. Disney has to understand that their guests are feeling that more and more freedoms, ambiance, and relaxations are being taken away from them. It is a reality that should be discussed.

My example of the horses was to show the increasing restrictions on the pleasures of being at WDW. I used to pet the horses years ago. Right on Main Street USA. I went right up to them, took photos, petted them. So did everyone else. Then, gradually, there was security around them, then you couldn't pet them or go near them. Now, when you go to the barn to visit them, you have to answer 20 questions at a security gate just to get into Fort Wilderness to just look at them behind 2 fences. That is just a small example of a change that WDW has implemented over the years that take away the small joys of the Disney experience.

I mean, as a person has worked with horses, it’s really not a good idea for people on Main Street to just be able to approach and pet them. A small child can’t reach to pet the horse properly unless a parent is holding them and could grab a leg and startle it, etc. Humans approaching horses in a chaotic place like Main Street just really is not safe for the animal or the guest. That is a totally reasonable change. Good for the horses to have their closer interactions with people at a calmer location like the ranch.

I have not been during covid, our most recent trip was Feb. 2020 so I cannot speak to how covid has affected things. But I have been going to WDW since I was born, so 35+ years. Things have changed over time - many things for the better, some changes not so much. I am not a big fan of overscheduling trips, we like to be more spontaneous. Growing up, sometimes we would just go to whatever park the first bus that arrived at the bus stop was going. I loved that. Or we’d change what park we were going to simply based on the weather. Made all our ADRs (even for very popular places) after we were on site. That’s not as easy anymore. We understand why some things have changed, we have adapted, we always have a great time and when we leave we still can’t wait to go back.

No issues with things like providing a safe environment for the horses and guests, vigilant lifeguards, and we don’t mind the room checks one bit. As a parent I’m so happy the lifeguards are always scanning the water. Happy for CMs to grab the garbage from our grand villa’s kitchen and 4 bathrooms daily during room check. 12 people in one villa can produce a lot of garbage! The CM is always friendly and efficient, in and out.

Way back when you could do lots of things at WDW that weren’t a great idea - like go swimming in the lake! The character free for alls were nuts - kids pushing and shoving to all hug a character at the same time. Those situations were very chaotic and unsafe for both the costumes CMs and the kids. Some things just have to evolve over time.

Last edited:

....I think I would rather go to the ocean and run free on the beach.
3sxnxb.jpg

I don't have a problem with the room checks--back pre-covid it was part of housekeeping. I also don't want to see some idiot trying to shoot up Disney because Aurora would rather sleep alone.

I do understand the horse thing--I love horses and would want to pet them too, but I also grew up around horses and know they can be unpredictable and so can people. We don't need some kid kicked in the head or bit because s/he startled the horse-or someone else did. Personal responsibility tends to go out the window if someone thinks they can make a lot of money in a lawsuit, and that holds for the pools too. Lifeguards need to be able to see everything that is going on and as spiffy as it is to swim in the dark, lights are a safety issue.

The thing I miss the most right now is the shows. I know that they are not there because of Covid and the safety of the performers, but once enough people are vaccinated for herd immunity (or at least all the performers are vaccinated) they will be back. A lot of rules will fade away as we get vaccinated and approach or get to herd immunity.

I guess the whole thing comes down to the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. I am sorry that things have spoiled Disney for you, and that you are able to find a way to find your joy in spite of the annoyances.

OP, I do understand venting and expressing your concerns. I agree with most of it. I don't agree with the rude, "if you don't like it, don't go", or "if it bothers you, don't go". There is no need, IMO, for those responses.
I know I would be frustrated with disney right now.
We have decided Not to go until all regulations are removed and the shows and restaurants are back to normal.
You have a right to express your feelings on a Discussion Board.
I would hope that everyone would be kind and considerate of others posts, especially at this difficult time we are all having.

I understand how the OP feels too. I am already over it but a family member isn’t.

Just remember that some will defend Disney no matter what. I know because I used to be one of them.

Reactions: cdh
Now facial recognition software is being tested to enter the parks at WDW. This is just Orwellian in my opinion.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest