Walking a Christmas reservation with a Dec UY

amystevekai&bump

DIS Veteran
hi all,

I’m sorry to bother you, but I asked this question a while ago, and at the time there didn’t seem to be any hope for me, but then another thread this week got me thinking my plan might be possible, so I wondered if I could run it past you and you let me know if it will work please?!

I own 150pts at Animal Kingdom villas and have all of my Dec 2018 points onwards available.

I am wanting to make two reservations in 2020. (9 nights in a value studio late August & 4 nights in a concierge studio between Christmas and new year).

Having seen the walking threads this year, and knowing how difficult concierge is at the best of times, I realise that my chances are slim even with walking, so my plan is to watch the availability charts and grab a studio if one comes up and walk it for as long as I need to.

Because of the complication of my dec UY, I’m really struggling to grasp my options! (I’m not normally this stupid, but this is really taxing me!!)

Therefore, can I ask you if the following is possible:

Bank Dec 2018 points and use them to book my nine nights in August (94 points) and then use my remaining 56 banked 2018 points to grab two nights in a concierge studio as soon as I see them (56 points is the maximum number I’ll need for a booking for any dates between jan 1st- Nov 30th 2020).

Then when it gets to the Nov 30th/Dec 1st 2020 booking window, I will need to ring MS to walk the booking forward and at that point I would add the 1st -4th Dec using banked 2019 points. That would give me a six night booking, and then the following day I would ring MS again to move 1st-4th Dec forward, and leave the 29th/30th Nov behind. After that time, I would just go back to walking the 4 night booking myself, all the way to my Christmas dates.

I was then thinking I could hopefully rent out the two night concierge reservation for 29/30 Nov, as I assume that would be a sought after booking and it would save me losing those 2018 banked points, as I’m guessing that is the only other option for them at that point?

Does this plan sound possible? My question mark comes with asking MS to move the last four days of a reservation forward and leaving the first two dates behind - is that even possible?

I’m so sorry for the long post, I can’t believe this walking business has got so complicated and that so many people are walking reservations so early!! I fully expected to need to walk for a few days, but looking at the availability charts/threads already for this coming Christmas, it looks like loads of people have already been walking bookings for a while for this coming Christmas!

I’m kind of hoping that MS do something to stop this walking, but I’m at a point where if I cant beat them then I’m going to do my best to join them, if I possibly can?!!

I guess my post was too long for anyone to read?!
Nope. I read the whole thing. I just don't have a complete answer for you.

I see a problem with banked 2018 points being used for the November portion of your walk. Those points can't be banked again into the Dec. 2020 UY to be used to book your 2020 Christmas visit. You will need to find a way to use them during the 2019 UY even if the walk spanning 2 UYs works. You may not be able to "leave the first two dates behind" so that you can rent them out because they will be a part of the same reservation if MS can add the Dec. nights. In a routine walk, nights can be dropped but they cannot be carved out to create a separate reservation.

Nope. I read the whole thing. I just don't have a complete answer for you.

I see a problem with banked 2018 points being used for the November portion of your walk. Those points can't be banked again into the Dec. 2020 UY to be used to book your 2020 Christmas visit. You will need to find a way to use them during the 2019 UY even if the walk spanning 2 UYs works. You may not be able to "leave the first two dates behind" so that you can rent them out because they will be a part of the same reservation if MS can add the Dec. nights. In a routine walk, nights can be dropped but they cannot be carved out to create a separate reservation.

Thanks for replying, yes I too realised I couldn’t use the Dec 2018 banked points to walk into Dec 2020, hence my reason for posting.

According to another recent poster on this board doing the exact same thing, but for this Christmas instead, I think it can be done via MS, but as you say, my query is being able to ‘carve’ out the last two Nov dates in order to give me something to rent out - I think possibly the answer to doing this is going to be no, so I just need to decide if either (a) I consider it’s worth losing 50 odd points to secure the booking or (b) if I can possibly use the leftovers to add extra nights on to my August 2020 trip - but it would undoubtedly be a split stay at that point as I would be within the seven month booking period by then.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

how exactly does walking a reservation work? I keep hearing about it
Do a search. It has been covered in detail many times in a way that I could never outline and I don't have a link saved. I also happen to be of the belief that the more that detailed steps are posted, the worse this problem is going to be, especially for high-demand periods like Fall Frenzy. It's already a problem for select studios at AKV, BWV, CCV and VGF. I would hate to see it become commonplace for other resorts.

Last edited:
As far as "renting out" the unused concierge rooms- I'm going to put a plea here for Please don't......There are only 5 CL studios available - and there are tons of AKL owners who can't get that room, but really wanted it.....Just let the ressie go to the person who waitlisted it first......(Your right of course, but do unto others.....)

Also, as far as walking a reservation for a long time goes - there is another thread on the Mousecellaneous board that shows that someone had their walk broken by DVC who pulled a room (or all of them?) from inventory ahead of it being available to DVC owners (possibly tiwce).(Don't ask me how or why, that's why I was on that thread in the first place)... that was for an AKL CL room during fall frenzy- so maybe the idea of walking a room until Christmas won't work out afterall??

As far as "renting out" the unused concierge rooms- I'm going to put a plea here for Please don't......There are only 5 CL studios available - and there are tons of AKL owners who can't get that room, but really wanted it.....Just let the ressie go to the person who waitlisted it first......(Your right of course, but do unto others.....)

Also, as far as walking a reservation for a long time goes - there is another thread on the Mousecellaneous board that shows that someone had their walk broken by DVC who pulled a room (or all of them?) from inventory ahead of it being available to DVC owners (possibly tiwce).(Don't ask me how or why, that's why I was on that thread in the first place)... that was for an AKL CL room during fall frenzy- so maybe the idea of walking a room until Christmas won't work out afterall??

You’re right of course about the renting out of reservations - I was panicking at how I could make my reservation without sacrificing a large percentage of my points (I’m not a big point owner sadly!) - having spent lots of today getting my head around it all, I’ve decided that if I do manage to walk to the end of November (and your second point now makes it even more doubtful, but I can but try!), and MS can walk me into my Dec 2020 UY, then the left behind part of the 2019 UY points will still then be available to me for my August booking, and I’ve just realised those points would be freed up in time for me to use at the seven month window!

So I’m now hoping to book a value studio for my August trip, which will leave me enough 2019 points to hopefully snag a concierge studio at some point, then with lots of effort/luck, I can hopefully walk that concierge reservation all the way to Nov 30th, at which point the left behind points will hopefully mean I can ‘upgrade’ my August accommodation to a one bed somewhere at the seven month mark - this also frees up a value studio for someone else too.

Hopefully that way, I win and so do some other members - I hate this booking situation, but I find myself joining in as whilst the ‘loophole’ remains - there are certain rooms that you just have no hope of getting without walking these days it seems ☹️

You could also just rent those 50 points to someone. You’ll have a a lot of time to rent them out since you’ll be done with that portion of the walk by January 1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter