• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

PatrickDog said:
With the recent good news re: Corinne's new job, DVC Jen's new ride, and the pics from Horselover, I've taken to thinking about how special a place this Groupie thread has become for so many of us. In turn, that got me reflecting on all the wonderful memories from my years not only on this forum, but at Disney in general and the Lodge in particular. Naturally, that brings me to a topic of discussion which could be fun. I know many have mentioned over the years what their initial experiences at the Lodge were (and we might have done something similar before, though I'm too addle-brained to recall at this moment), so I thought perhaps it would be a proper theme to explore further: what is your first memory of the Lodge?

Great idea, Sleepy!

My first memory of the Lodge is of our first family trip (DDs were 9 and 7 years old) to WDW in the summer of 1998. We had reservations at Wilderness Lodge since we were not able to book until five weeks in advance and it was the only thing available. We flew to Orlando and our flight was delayed several hours. We had booked a Mears coach for the trip from the airport to Wilderness Lodge, but it was so late that they were balking at getting us a ride. Finally I was able to get a manager to agree to have someone drive us to Wilderness Lodge, and we arrived there after 1:00 in the morning.

So my first memory of Wilderness Lodge is pulling up to the front entrance and getting my sleepy family out of the vehicle. We walked through those double doors and whoooosh! It was like being transported to another world! That lobby made such a great impression, and our tiredness and crabbiness melted away. Keep in mind that there was nobody in the lobby at that time of night, so the music was very easy to hear. Then from over by the front desk, we hear a voice calling "You must be the Tom Family (okay they used my last name)". My wife and children thought that was very magical. At that point, I was just glad they hadn't given away our room!

We made our way up to our room, which had bunk beds per our request. It was perfect, and my girls who were surprised with the bunk beds were just loving it! The theming of the room had carried over from the lobby and we immediately made an emotional connection to Wilderness Lodge that is still going strong today. The following 10 days were very hot but very magical as we had a wonderful family trip. We were hooked!

We had no interest in DVC until they built at Wilderness Lodge, and have been happy members since 2001.

Too funny that Ron and I were both posting at the same time, and both included the lobby and bunk beds in our first memories! I think the lobby impressed me even more because it was so dark when we pulled up that I really couldn't see the outside of the building to get an idea of its grandeur!

I know I've heard speculation in the past of Illuminations being replaced but I just read what seemed to be a very strong rumor that the replacement will be coming in the not too distant future.

I think I'm sad. It's never been the top Disney fireworks show for me (that was the old Star Wars fireworks before they moved the launch site at DHS) but at this point I realize it's become an expectation. I did love the show when it had the holiday tag even though I missed the change from Walter Cronkite. So it would appear that December was the last time to see that and our April trip may be the last time for Illuminations.

Sleepy, I'd love to play along and describe the first stay at the lodge, but to be honest they've all been just as wonderful as that first time and tend to blend together. That's a GOOD thing as it means that each time is like the first with the heart stopping reaction to the main lobby, to the music, decor, walkways and relaxing by the fireplaces. The memorable stays tend to be the ones where things have gone wrong, and none have happened (yet) at VWL.

Let's just say I look forward to my next First stay at the villas :D

Last edited:

I know I've heard speculation in the past of Illuminations being replaced but I just read what seemed to be a very strong rumor that the replacement will be coming in the not too distant future.

I think I'm sad. It's never been the top Disney fireworks show for me (that was the old Star Wars fireworks before they moved the launch site at DHS) but at this point I realize it's become an expectation. I did love the show when it had the holiday tag even though I missed the change from Walter Cronkite. So it would appear that December was the last time to see that and our April trip may be the last time for Illuminations.

I've seen the rumors on Illuminations replacement too. I can't say that its the favorite nighttime show for my family either, but I guess I'll hold judgement until I see what replaces it.

We never got to WDW when Illuminations used to light up each of the countries one by one. That was a cool idea that I think I would have liked to see. But the globe with hard-to-view graphics flashing across it has never been all that appealing to me.

Here's the article I saw about this... https://wdwnt.com/2018/02/rumor-nighttime-replacement-illuminations-epcot-nearing-completion/

Oh @KAT4DISNEY I knew the day would come that they'd replace illuminations, but had hoped it would be just a bit further out. It has become my favorite nighttime show in WDW since they replaced the nighttime show in the MK. I really don't care for the crowds, and to see the show properly one needs to be standing in the crowd.

I finally just got to see the Illuminations Reflections of Earth show properly for the first time last december (I usually leave my distance glasses off for the duration of the trip). I was amazed.

Sleepy
Great idea!
I have shared this story a few times here but happy to share again:D
Our 1st trip was in 99 after my FIL's dying wish was for us(his family)to go on a cruise. He had plans in 5 yrs upon his retirement to go on a cruise with my MIL, but ALS took his life at 52, and he wanted us to go in his memory. Having young kids(ours 5 and 7, nieces and nephews at 2 and 4)led us away from cruising and other ideas including Hawaii to WDW. Made sense, small kids.

FF to the trip, 1st memory was seeing the roof of the Lodge via the Monorail. I remember commenting to Tammy that was what it was. Before our trip, I studied everything in Birnbaums guide so I knew that roof!

FF to 2001 we bought bought at VWL, site unseen. So here comes not my 1st memory, but my most vivid. We flew and caught a town car service to the Lodge. I remember turning the corner and seeing the majesty of the place in all its glory and getting goosebumps. Then we walked into the Lobby, and I was hooked. I stood there for what seems like 10 mins looking up at eh ceiling, wowing at the Christmas tree. The awe was only interrupted by Tammy saying the check in CM was ready for us, and I think one of the kids had to come over to tug at my shirt to really garner my attention.

First Memories & Impressions of The Lodge . . . .

Of course the Lobby is always one's first impression, as getting to your room is only after a visit the Lobby. But my first impression was, gee, what small rooms! DiznyDi had booked us for a two night adventure to try out The Lodge as new DVC members (2006). SSR was our home, and we were heading there after our VWL experience. Our DD & DSL were meeting us and were staying in our "Studio" for the last night, until we moved. It was obvious that we were given a room that was not only a handicap featured room, but was built in left over space at the end of the hall; right out of the elevators, down the hall all the way to the end, into a room that was 2/3 the width of a standard Studio, with light switches at your belly button, and other such details. Man, this was a SMALL room. DD & DSL arrived on day two, and the fun began. When the pull out coach was deployed, there was about 6" at the foot end to get around the thing. And it doesn't help that our kids travel with four times as much stuff as anyone you have ever met, and it all needs to be OUT, like a gas explosion had occurred. DSL commented that they slept OK, but one of us snored, and the other one scratched all night. We have never forgotten that room; look back on it with fond memories. But that two day stay was enough to motivate us to make VWL our second home resort and we have never look back!

KAT
Illuminations has always been my fave fireworks at WDW. I think because it was my first. Like you, Star Wars fireworks surpassed it for me a few yrs back but that didn't stay long(the 1st rendition)so I still stand by Illuminations as the one that hooked me. I knew its time would pass and honestly surprised its been around in current state since late 99. Our 1st day at WDW was spent late evening at Epcot. So after catching dinner, we maybe caught 2 attractions, then waited an hour in a so called prime spot for the fireworks. I whispered to Tammy we could see this back home on July 4 and Halloween, why are we standing around when we could be doing something else. I have learned a lot over the years about prime viewing, just how long you truly have to wait, etc. for these shows. So I was baffled why we were killing our feet and legs for this. Then it hit, the narrator telling us what was to come, thence blows the fire out. At that point I was hooked, I knew this wasn't the same old fireworks as back home.
Sad to see it go, glad to know so I won't by pass it this March in case its my last time seeing it.

. . . . . . . . . Before our trip, I studied everything in Birnbaums guide so I knew that roof! . . . . . .

I have recommend that book often to people looking to go to WDW for the first time. I believe it is updated every 6 months, at least it used to be. I especially liked the way you could select the number of days you would be visiting The World, and the book directed you accordingly. I haven't seen it in years, but I see it is available in the 2018 version on Amazon.com.

Sleepy - nice memories. And we are so glad the DVC Lobby has remained untouched during the last two years of construction. It would have been a serious blow to DiznyDi and my love for The Lodge. What better hideaway than the Carol Pacific Room; practically unknown to the rest of the Lodge.
Absolutely agree!
Awesome memories! I’ll cheat a bit, and offer my 1st, 2nd & 3rd...

1st will always be the lobby in all it’s glory.

2nd was my daughter’s reaction to a room with a bunk bed!

3rd was watching my daughter do the slide at the pool with the life jacket on for two hours straight.

Bonus memory — returning to the lodge for our third trip. My wife had suffered a traumatic brain injury on New Year’s Eve and I was so emotional on this trip (only 2 1/2 months later). I honestly didn’t know if we would ever get to return after that episode.
Cheating definitely allowed! It is difficult to narrow the list--I get it! as

Great memories....and pics sleepy! My first memory of the Lodge, is that I could not get a reservation there for our first onsite trip in the summer of 1995!:laughing:

Anyway, when we finally were able to stay there I remembered how much I loved the overall feel of the place.....especially the lobby, large and awe inspiring, yet somehow intimate.
That's too funny! As for the pics, I think they're all from our wedding trip back in 2013. The wine glasses shot was easy, as was the lake shot (happened to be out for a quick walk). The final shot was taken during our wedding photo shoot. We actually took pictures the day before the wedding so that we wouldn't be rushed and could take advantage of different lighting as we scheduled the shoot to include late afternoon, dusk, and early evening hours. It's my very favorite shot of the hundred or so we took.

TRIVIA QUESTION: Anyone have any guesses where that picture was taken?
Great idea, Sleepy!

My first memory of the Lodge is of our first family trip (DDs were 9 and 7 years old) to WDW in the summer of 1998. We had reservations at Wilderness Lodge since we were not able to book until five weeks in advance and it was the only thing available. We flew to Orlando and our flight was delayed several hours. We had booked a Mears coach for the trip from the airport to Wilderness Lodge, but it was so late that they were balking at getting us a ride. Finally I was able to get a manager to agree to have someone drive us to Wilderness Lodge, and we arrived there after 1:00 in the morning.

So my first memory of Wilderness Lodge is pulling up to the front entrance and getting my sleepy family out of the vehicle. We walked through those double doors and whoooosh! It was like being transported to another world! That lobby made such a great impression, and our tiredness and crabbiness melted away. Keep in mind that there was nobody in the lobby at that time of night, so the music was very easy to hear. Then from over by the front desk, we hear a voice calling "You must be the Tom Family (okay they used my last name)". My wife and children thought that was very magical. At that point, I was just glad they hadn't given away our room!

We made our way up to our room, which had bunk beds per our request. It was perfect, and my girls who were surprised with the bunk beds were just loving it! The theming of the room had carried over from the lobby and we immediately made an emotional connection to Wilderness Lodge that is still going strong today. The following 10 days were very hot but very magical as we had a wonderful family trip. We were hooked!

We had no interest in DVC until they built at Wilderness Lodge, and have been happy members since 2001.
I can imagine it was quite a sight pulling up to the Lodge that late and seeing such a marvelous and inviting place. In fact, Luv's grown kids joined us for a few days years ago, and they flew in late, thus arrived late to the Lodge. We were there to greet them, and they had very similar reactions!

Sleepy, I'd love to play along and describe the first stay at the lodge, but to be honest they've all been just as wonderful as that first time and tend to blend together. That's a GOOD thing as it means that each time is like the first with the heart stopping reaction to the main lobby, to the music, decor, walkways and relaxing by the fireplaces. The memorable stays tend to be the ones where things have gone wrong, and none have happened (yet) at VWL.

Let's just say I look forward to my next First stay at the villas :D
Yes, our trips blend as well which is a great thing. Coming home should be that way.

Sleepy
Great idea!
I have shared this story a few times here but happy to share again:D
Our 1st trip was in 99 after my FIL's dying wish was for us(his family)to go on a cruise. He had plans in 5 yrs upon his retirement to go on a cruise with my MIL, but ALS took his life at 52, and he wanted us to go in his memory. Having young kids(ours 5 and 7, nieces and nephews at 2 and 4)led us away from cruising and other ideas including Hawaii to WDW. Made sense, small kids.

FF to the trip, 1st memory was seeing the roof of the Lodge via the Monorail. I remember commenting to Tammy that was what it was. Before our trip, I studied everything in Birnbaums guide so I knew that roof!

FF to 2001 we bought bought at VWL, site unseen. So here comes not my 1st memory, but my most vivid. We flew and caught a town car service to the Lodge. I remember turning the corner and seeing the majesty of the place in all its glory and getting goosebumps. Then we walked into the Lobby, and I was hooked. I stood there for what seems like 10 mins looking up at eh ceiling, wowing at the Christmas tree. The awe was only interrupted by Tammy saying the check in CM was ready for us, and I think one of the kids had to come over to tug at my shirt to really garner my attention.
What great memories for you, JT. It's clear to see from the responses that we each have a lot investment in the Lodge, and by that I mean so much more than financial. It's no small matter that Disney was able to create an environment that speaks to our hearts and will for years to come. Above all, that's the element of the Lodge that simply cannot disappear--if it did, as DiznyDad says, it would be a serious blow and make us rethink being there.

Last edited:
First Memories & Impressions of The Lodge . . . .

Of course the Lobby is always one's first impression, as getting to your room is only after a visit the Lobby. But my first impression was, gee, what small rooms! DiznyDi had booked us for a two night adventure to try out The Lodge as new DVC members (2006). SSR was our home, and we were heading there after our VWL experience. Our DD & DSL were meeting us and were staying in our "Studio" for the last night, until we moved. It was obvious that we were given a room that was not only a handicap featured room, but was built in left over space at the end of the hall; right out of the elevators, down the hall all the way to the end, into a room that was 2/3 the width of a standard Studio, with light switches at your belly button, and other such details. Man, this was a SMALL room. DD & DSL arrived on day two, and the fun began. When the pull out coach was deployed, there was about 6" at the foot end to get around the thing. And it doesn't help that our kids travel with four times as much stuff as anyone you have ever met, and it all needs to be OUT, like a gas explosion had occurred. DSL commented that they slept OK, but one of us snored, and the other one scratched all night. We have never forgotten that room; look back on it with fond memories. But that two day stay was enough to motivate us to make VWL our second home resort and we have never look back!
I'm not sure too many would have the same fond thoughts after staying in that room! Proof that the Lodge is more than just a room to occupy when you're not at the parks. We want to feel relaxed and a bit calmer, and the Lodge does that for us. Even if we only visit while staying elsewhere, as soon as we turn onto Timberline Drive, we smile more broadly and everything seems more serene. Now, just bring back the g-e-e-s-e. . .

My first memory of Wilderness Lodge was walking into the lobby finding myself fighting back tears as it seemed like we were returning to the West and Colorado while on vacation in Florida. Colorado was our favorite home even though we moved to Texas 9 years before to be near family while the nieces and nephew were babies. Seeing the lobby of WL brought that longing for Colorado back. Now we can’t afford to live in Denver, but we still have a great substitute with Wilderness Lodge even if it is 90 degrees outside with matching humidity.

As for the pics, I think they're all from our wedding trip back in 2013. The wine glasses shot was easy, as was the lake shot (happened to be out for a quick walk). The final shot was taken during our wedding photo shoot. We actually took pictures the day before the wedding so that we wouldn't be rushed and could take advantage of different lighting as we scheduled the shoot to include late afternoon, dusk, and early evening hours. It's my very favorite shot of the hundred or so we took.

TRIVIA QUESTION: Anyone have any guesses where that picture was taken?

101_ph355250713-0101_zps1sjvcak3.jpg

Sleepy...it is a great photo, I agree! Sort of a "hey, did that guy say this is FOREVER?" look! :) I'm trying to think where that picture was taken. Is it in the Territory Lounge?

. . . . . Proof that the Lodge is more than just a room to occupy when you're not at the parks. . . . . . . . Now, just bring back the g-e-e-s-e. . .

Yup, The Lodge is so much more for so many of us.

And once we had a ME bus driver telling all sorts of Disney Trivia on the way from the Airport to the Lodge. So much of it was just plain wrong. I wanted to go up front and debate some of it with him. But when we pulled onto Timberline Drive, and he said," And the swans of the Lodge welcome you", I'd had it. I needed to speak up. So on the way out of the bus, I mentioned to him that they were geese, not swans. He calmly said, "I don't care, so what". That told me why he was sharing so many untruths about WDW; he didn't care. And yeah, bring back the g-e-e-s-e . . . . . .

Received my email about 30 minutes ago for the AKV Moonlight magic sign up. Now to decide if I'll skip the 9am rush for sign up and potential spinning wheels. Probably will wait for a couple of hours and just do it at normal west coast time vs getting up a bit early. Hope the sign up goes well for everyone who is looking to go!
Ohhh Kathy....would you believe I am missing out on this one too! I did get the MK one in early Feb. I originally didn't have that night free. Now I do and they are sold out. Ohhhh well.......

Last edited:
Good to hear. We plan to retire to Amelia Island and I think the length of the drive will be similar. Of course, that will be 13 to 14 years down the road...but it is in sight and on the long range plan.

This one is on my list but I have no idea when I will fit it in. Not this June. Maybe October....
Hey ArielSRL.....a friend of mine lives there. She is in a semi early retirement (she's 57). I went to visit her about 8 mos ago (I live in Palm Coast----midway between St Augustine and Daytona). Wonderful quaint little town! But she had snow flurries in Dec!!!! Not far enough south for me! I think even St Augustine had a few flakes......I am trying to escape all memories of snow! LOL

Our first trip to the lodge was in 2001. We fell in love with it and bought into DVC that trip. The first strong memory I have is not walking into the lobby. It is taking the lodge tour with Ranger Stan. He was so much fun. Such a warm man. I knew during that tour he was someone special and would touch my heart. He definitely did that. Every year after I made sure to look for him. He took us to the roof and raised the flags with us at least 4 times. I will never forget Stan and think of him every time I walk through the lobby. I always remember seeing him standing by the lobby desk on the totem pole side. He would never have anything less than a big smile on his face.

Hi Groupie friends,

I spent 11 glorious days in Sarasota at my sisters place in late January. I am by no means wishing my life away at all, but I do look forward to a time when we can be in warm, sunny Florida all winter. :goodvibes

I am asking for pixiedust: as some may remember, I’ve been looking to make a move and I have been interviewing a lot over the last year. I have not found the right fit. I had a second interview 2 weeks ago, and I am waiting for them to complete the round, hopefully will hear this week. Fingers crossed, I need a change!

Hope you all enjoy your Sunday!

LOTS and LOTS of PIXIE DUST Corinne! We did it...you can too!

Sleepy...my first memories of the Lodge was May 1998. My husband and I spent our 12th anniversary there. It was such an immersive experience. We remembered being awestruck by the immense lobby....yet the resort as a whole felt cozy to us. Then I must recall a memory from way back for those of us that have been Groupies for long time. Someone on this thread had posted an altered photo of me swimming in the WL pool with the ducks and affectionately captioned the photo "Maria ---the WL duck whisperer". I don't have that photo any more as it was on a computer that crashed.....but it's probably here somewhere in the thousands of pages of our thread. Just love it there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter