Visiting Hollywood & Disneyland area in Oct

kittyklawz

Mouseketeer
Can anyone recommend a good hotel that is near the Hollywood bowl and universal studios? We are going to see a concert at the Hollywood bowl in Oct and figured we would make it a family trip and visit universal and maybe a few days at Disneyland as well. Has anyone stayed at a place called the magic castle hotel in Hollywood? seems like its kinda a cute little hotel. Also wondering if we should just stay in Hollywood for the week & drive to disney or if we should switch hotels and book something closer to disney for those days?

Loew’s Hollywood will have you walking distance from the Bowl. It’s located in what was previously known as the Hollywood & Highland Center (now Ovation). I park there every time I’m at the Bowl and walk up.

Slightly closer to the Bowl on Highland are a Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, and Best Western. I haven’t stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel, but if it gets you into the Magic Castle club that is a pretty fun perk.

Traffic will be extremely congested on Highland the evening of your event. I would stay near the Bowl to make that easy; the drive to Universal from that area is quite short, distance-wise.

As far as Disneyland, I would personally change hotels for that portion of the trip.

Loew’s Hollywood will have you walking distance from the Bowl. It’s located in what was previously known as the Hollywood & Highland Center (now Ovation). I park there every time I’m at the Bowl and walk up.

Slightly closer to the Bowl on Highland are a Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, and Best Western. I haven’t stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel, but if it gets you into the Magic Castle club that is a pretty fun perk.

Traffic will be extremely congested on Highland the evening of your event. I would stay near the Bowl to make that easy; the drive to Universal from that area is quite short, distance-wise.

As far as Disneyland, I would personally change hotels for that portion of the trip.
Thank you! Are all of those hotels pretty clean/safe for families? We will be traveling with a 6 year old, 2 year old, and grandparents. Walking distance to the bowl would be nice so that we don't have to drive. Is it safe walking back in the dark after an event? Also trying to decide if we should book a hotel walking distance to Disneyland or if driving and parking is worth it to possibly stay at a cheaper/nicer hotel a little farther away.

Thank you! Are all of those hotels pretty clean/safe for families? We will be traveling with a 6 year old, 2 year old, and grandparents. Walking distance to the bowl would be nice so that we don't have to drive. Is it safe walking back in the dark after an event? Also trying to decide if we should book a hotel walking distance to Disneyland or if driving and parking is worth it to possibly stay at a cheaper/nicer hotel a little farther away.
I’m local, so I haven’t stayed at any of them although I’ve attended a conference at the Loew’s and it was very nice and secure. The walk home at night will be okay too. There are so many people leaving the Bowl at once, it is well-lit and there will be a lot of staff around directing traffic out of the parking lots (which are a major headache - I think they all utilize tandem parking).

I love the convenience of being able to walk into Disneyland for rope drop (and also if you want a mid-day break). 95% of the time, though, I’m driving down from LA and parking at Mickey and Friends. I’ve had plenty of great mornings starting that way!

Last edited:

I’m local, so I haven’t stayed at any of them although I’ve attended a conference at the Lowe’s and it was very nice and secure. The walk home at night will be okay too. There are so many people leaving the Bowl at once, it is well-lit and there will be a lot of staff around directing traffic out of the parking lots (which are a major headache - I think they all utilize tandem parking).

I love the convenience of being able to walk into Disneyland for rope drop (and also if you want a mid-day break). 95% of the time, though, I’m driving down from LA and parking at Mickey and Friends. I’ve had plenty of great mornings starting that way!
Do you know if its hard to get uber/lyft to and from the Hollywood bowl? We are leaning towards staying at Magic Castle since we have kids and grandparents and we could get a 2 bed suite with a full kitchen. It looks like its about a 20 min walk from the Hollywood bowl but only a 5 min drive.

Do you know if its hard to get uber/lyft to and from the Hollywood bowl? We are leaning towards staying at Magic Castle since we have kids and grandparents and we could get a 2 bed suite with a full kitchen. It looks like its about a 20 min walk from the Hollywood bowl but only a 5 min drive.
They have a dedicated drop-off for rideshare (I will link the page below). I'm sure if you are going early enough, it should not be too hectic to get in. After a show, it will probably take awhile to get out (although at least you'll be sitting down!).

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/visit/getting-here#park-ride-and-bowl-shuttle

Have you been to the Bowl before? If not - it is totally worth the hassle getting there/leaving. If you're attending a lease event (basically anything besides LA Phil), you can bring in sealed water bottles and snacks. If it's an LA Phil event you can even bring in your own wine. It's so fun to have a little picnic before your show starts!

I wouldn't worry about the safety after an event. There will be a lot of people and a lot of police. And lots of bacon wrapped hot dogs being offered for sale. There's a reason why they're called danger dogs.

They have a dedicated drop-off for rideshare (I will link the page below). I'm sure if you are going early enough, it should not be too hectic to get in. After a show, it will probably take awhile to get out (although at least you'll be sitting down!).

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/visit/getting-here#park-ride-and-bowl-shuttle

Have you been to the Bowl before? If not - it is totally worth the hassle getting there/leaving. If you're attending a lease event (basically anything besides LA Phil), you can bring in sealed water bottles and snacks. If it's an LA Phil event you can even bring in your own wine. It's so fun to have a little picnic before your show starts!
We have not been there before. We are coming from boise. I scored tickets to death cab for cutie and the postal service in October for their 20th anniversary tour lol. Good to know we can bring snacks and sealed water bottles in! I was thinking we would get there a couple hours early. I heard if you walk a bit down the road after the show it’s easier to get a ride share. Just wasn’t sure how dangerous that area is walking at night.

I have stayed at both the Magic Castle Hotel and Loews Hollywood although it’s been a while. But both were excellent so it’s hard to make a wrong decision but I guess the Magic Castle Hotel is somewhat more unique. They’re pretty close to one another and I agree that with the crowds, it’s quite safe. I’ve actually walked back to Sunset from the Bowl without any issues even though there were people engaged in somewhat unorthodox business. Just make sure you look after your valuables.
I wouldn’t go too far up Highland as that puts you further from the Metro line that gets you to Universal. Also if you’re going to visit Disneyland for more than 1 day, I would split your stay between LA and Anaheim.

I think we are going to stay at the magic castle hotel for that part of the trip it sounds like it checks all the boxes for our group. Now I need to figure out where to stay by Disneyland lol. Much harder decision.

I’m sure if you shared your requirements for a room, rough budget and dates, we could help you find something easily enough.

I’m sure if you shared your requirements for a room, rough budget and dates, we could help you find something easily enough.
Don’t have an exact budget but definitely nothing that’s $400 a night. The cheaper the better but without being nasty lol. Dates are roughly Oct 18-21st. We need to have at least 2 queens or a king and a pull out bed, and then grandparents need their own room, or one of those hotels that offer 2 bedrooms or connecting rooms. Also considering renting an Airbnb and just driving to the park. I’m not 100% sure if my kids will need break during the afternoon but I like the idea of being within ~10 min walk to the park.

Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites would suit perfectly imo. It is a budget motel but by no means nasty, it’s very clean and well maintained. They do larger rooms with 2 bedrooms/bathrooms that would probably fit your budget. It’s a 7 min walk to the park gates from there. The pool is an indoor one and can be a bit over chlorinated but that’s only a minor thing, it’s perfectly useable. There is also the Anaheim Islander Inn about a 15 min walk from the park gates that does 2br suites which may squeeze into your budget. It is a hotel so has a few more amenities.
Other nicer places within 15 mins walk with larger suites include Hyatt House, Springhill Suites Anaheim Convention Center and Residence Inn Convention Center. These may be out of your budget but they can surprise you.
Just checked and Anaheim Islander is showing for about $300 per night for a 2br as is Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites for a family parlour suite which is basically 2 connecting rooms.

Last edited:
I have stayed at the Best Western near the Hollywood Bowl and felt it was easy safe walk and good basic hotel. They have AAA discounts .
Looks like the rooms only offer 1 or 2 beds No family suite .

Also really like the Best Western Park Place Inn on Harbor Blvd for DL.
They do have family suite rooms .

The HollyWood Bowl books fast for weekend events .

I recommend you make a choice that offers Cancel Policy while you decide just in case.

Last edited:
Yes great hotel but above the OP’s budget for a smaller room than the others mentioned.
The suggestions seem to be all over the place . I suggested searching for a discount.
Sometimes family safety and convenience is worth paying a little more.

Im not familiar with using ride share but they could Save by staying closer and eliminating that cost.

The suggestions seem to be all over the place . I suggested searching for a discount.
Sometimes family safety and convenience is worth paying a little more.

Im not familiar with using ride share but they could Save by staying closer and eliminating that cost.
The suggestions are all less than 15 mins walk of the park gates and only 5-10 mins walk from each other. not sure how that is all over the place. Simple fact is BWPPI is above their budget, and the rooms are smaller than the other options within walking distance. There is zero chance anyone would need a rideshare from any of the options I have listed. ADI is a 2 min walk from BWPPI.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel that is near the Hollywood bowl and universal studios? We are going to see a concert at the Hollywood bowl in Oct and figured we would make it a family trip and visit universal and maybe a few days at Disneyland as well. Has anyone stayed at a place called the magic castle hotel in Hollywood? seems like its kinda a cute little hotel. Also wondering if we should just stay in Hollywood for the week & drive to disney or if we should switch hotels and book something closer to disney for those days?

I wouldn’t stay in Hollywood. We live in OC, and stayed in Hollywood once and wouldn’t again.

I recommend The Garland, which is technically in North Hollywood but super close to Studio City or the Hilton Universal City. Both are super close to Universal Studios.

I would stay at the Park Vue Inn for Disneyland if you’re on a budget.

I wouldn’t stay in Hollywood. We live in OC, and stayed in Hollywood once and wouldn’t again.

I recommend The Garland, which is technically in North Hollywood but super close to Studio City or the Hilton Universal City. Both are super close to Universal Studios.

I would stay at the Park Vue Inn for Disneyland if you’re on a budget.

Agree on the Garland. My top choice in LA.

Hollywood Bowl has an excellent shuttle service throughout various locations in Los Angeles County. I believe $6 each way and drops you off right at the entrance. So wherever you choose to stay, check it out https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/visit...d-ride-and-shuttle-lot-locations#Bowl-Shuttle honestly driving to the bowl no matter how close you stay is much more of a hassle with all the traffic.

There is also the Bowl Shuttle that picks you up on Orange CRT near Hollywood & Highland.

We saw Death Cab for Cutie years ago at the Bowl. That should be fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter