Villas at Disneyland Hotel - Resale

Make an offer on some of those listings and see what they say, who knows you might get a deal at $150 a point.

I know I'm going against the grain here. We own ALOT of points at VDH we bought direct and we're looking at adding another 300ish resale if we can get $150 or less. If you plan to only use them at VDH (like us), and are ok with the restrictions (like us) go for it! The TOT taxes will not rise year after year after year. There is a ceiling unless the city of Anaheim changes the TOT rate. I can't do the math at the moment and I'm too tired to dig thru my old posts to find it. TOT is 15% in Anaheim. VDH is something like 8-9%. It is cheaper the the tax you would pay if booking the same room with cash. It can go up from 9% but the ceiling is 15%. Sounds like you (like us) also have direct points, which we can use anywhere else. Our resale points will only be for VDH, we could care less about using them elsewhere. VGC is nice, but the rooms are old and busted....I know refresh coming.....and we've tried booking VGC at 7 months with Aulani points with ZERO luck....there's so little inventory there. I know lots here have had some luck at 7 months, and that's great for them, but the time of year when we go trying to get a 1 or 2 BR.....zero luck at 7 months.

You can easily rent out the VDH points if you purchased direct, in fact you will likely get more than $20pp for them if you rent them on your own.

I would not purchase resale at VDH at this point in time. I think Disney will have a tough time selling this resort especially with the Transient Tax. There are several FB posts of people who bought claiming not to know about this tax (although its everywhere in their documents). Disney had a tough time selling VGC when it first opened. If the same is true for VDH, some heft incentives may be coming.

Regardless, buying VDH resale without really knowing the ballpark price on where the market is landing is too risky IMO.

I'm in the "buy direct" camp all day on this one if VDH is your jam.
I'm not quite understanding the rational behind this post. VDH resale could go south so don't buy resale now but instead pay more to by direct? :confused:

If they end up selling at some point then it's going to be a bigger loss having purchased direct if resale goes lower than if they purchased resale initially. Now I also do think resale will go lower than what is happening now - that's typical - but the rest of your recommendation is confusing from a financial standpoint for someone who plans to use the points only at VDH. Even if the resale market isn't timed to the lowest point it's currently lower than what they indicate they'd pay for direct.

I'm not quite understanding the rational behind this post. VDH resale could go south so don't buy resale now but instead pay more to by direct? :confused:

If they end up selling at some point then it's going to be a bigger loss having purchased direct if resale goes lower than if they purchased resale initially. Now I also do think resale will go lower than what is happening now - that's typical - but the rest of your recommendation is confusing from a financial standpoint for someone who plans to use the points only at VDH. Even if the resale market isn't timed to the lowest point it's currently lower than what they indicate they'd pay for direct.

“VDH resale can go south so buy direct and pay more” — That’s correct.

OP was steering away from Direct because MB is not offered for Canucks. The delta between resale and direct is too small to take the risk for resale and have restrictions plus only be able to use the points at VDH with high TOT.

Can easily rent the VDH points for more than $20pp.

Direct all day for VDH.

“VDH resale can go south so buy direct and pay more” — That’s correct.

OP was steering away from Direct because MB is not offered for Canucks. The delta between resale and direct is too small to take the risk for resale and have restrictions plus only be able to use the points at VDH with high TOT.

Can easily rent the VDH points for more than $20pp.

Direct all day for VDH.

What risk of resale? That still remains unclear from your posts. One might say the risk of direct and losing more if one sells later.

They have other points to use elsewhere. They plan to use these points only at VDH. And resale points can also be rented out for $20/pt or more the same as direct VDH.

We ended up passing on the VDH contract. A lot of sellers wouldn’t go down much, if at all, from their asking and we weren’t comfortable paying more than $150 per point. With the news about Poly Tower today we may wait and see if Poly Tower direct offers great pricing like VGF and buy some points direct there.
If they financed they likely would be upside down for selling much lower than what they are asking. I do expect the pricing to go lower and there might be a time to revisit it in the future if you think it still fits.

We ran into the same issue, we made a few offers but no one is coming down (yet) to $150. We’re ready to pull the trigger at $150 though!

What risk of resale? That still remains unclear from your posts. One might say the risk of direct and losing more if one sells later.

They have other points to use elsewhere. They plan to use these points only at VDH. And resale points can also be rented out for $20/pt or more the same as direct VDH.
We can agree to disagree. I've stated my opinion twice now. I'll save my burden of proof for when I fight my next traffic ticket.

Our plan is to use non-VGC resale points at VGC when we can, but to just stay offsite on Harbor at Disneyland when we can't.

I would not purchase resale at VDH at this point in time. I think Disney will have a tough time selling this resort especially with the Transient Tax.

I was interested in VDH until I heard about the transient tax. I held off buying and decided to stay there first and see whether I thought it was "worth it." We have 2 VGC contracts (bought the first one the first year) and 1 BLT. We recently snagged a one night stay in a studio villa at VDH and just came back I hadn't done the math, and was shocked that our one night stay in a studio was almost $50 in taxes. After so many years of never having a hotel bill I was also surprised at how much this bugged me. So much so that there is no way I would buy in the current market, and I really think people are overestimating resale value now, and it will come down dramatically. Once the excitement of finally having another Disneyland DVC wears off, I think resale values will drop dramatically.

As an aside ... I know this can be a hot button for some people but the walk at almost 1 am from the Disneyland seemed *so* much farther than VGC! As many have said, not much different than walking to off-property hotels. So that "bubble" factor is a steep discount from VGC. There really is no substitute for walking down a few stairs right into the park (especially that back entrance).

Having said, that we really enjoyed staying there. I *love* the look of the resort (CA mid-century modern is my thing) and the theming. The room was really well done with the exception of a couple minor things--I thought the bed was way too close to the window (it wasn't centered on the way next to the Murphy Bed and frankly should have been shifted the other way, the side tables were way too small, no place for luggage (especially with more than one bag), it was great for 2 people but would be really tight with 4, and the pillows were horrible. But I really liked the finishes, the bathroom was great, and the light up headboard my son would love.

So for now, our plan is the same as @lilsonicfan -- we'll stay at VGC for our pre-planned stays, and use our BLT points for last minute short trips to VDH. If we can't get a room we'll just stay at one of the many hotels off-site. We like the Westin, the Residence Inn, and we're trying out the Suncoast in a couple weeks.

We usually stay in 1-bedrooms so I would like to stay in one of those at the DHVs before deciding, but if resale prices come down considerably I'd consider a small contract for last minute stays. I need to do a spreadsheet to figure out my break point on the "yuck" factor of paying those transient taxes.

Edited to add... LOL after my longwinded reasoning, I forgot to add JMO to OP... If you haven't already, I would recommend staying there first and deciding whether it's right for you. I'd also think about buying a resale VGC before buying VDH.

Last edited:
I was able to get one night short notice in May, so I looked at adding another night and paying. Holy Moly with taxes and parking over $1000 for a studio. No I do not think prices will crash

The real arbitrage opportunity for VDH is to buy a cheap resale contract and then rent it out for $35-$40 per point during NAMM or Expo West when all the Anaheim hotels are insanely expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter