• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VGC resale...thoughts?

Kinda late to this conversation but now that VGC direct is $310pp, what does this mean for VGC resale, if you could even find one. Also, what does it mean for direct pricing of DLT? My guess is that if they price it below $250pp, it will be sold out in 3-6 months just from current owners. I don't think there will be enough DLT points to go around for existing DVC members. The hype is going to be crazy.

Its the location premium even over DLT plus the very limited number of VGC units that will keep VGC resale prices very high (recent larger contract listed at $300 and sold quickly). Its nearly impossible to book VGC at 7 months. Eventually deed expiry will have an effect but not over the next decade.

Its the location premium even over DLT plus the very limited number of VGC units that will keep VGC resale prices very high (recent larger contract listed at $300 and sold quickly). Its nearly impossible to book VGC at 7 months. Eventually deed expiry will have an effect but not over the next decade.
I agree that VGC prices will continue to rise, just from it's ridiculously attractive location. And I don't think deed expiration will be an issue for another 20 years of which, most members buying in even today will have more than make up they money by then. I can't believe that large contract sold for that high. I've been looking for it on the ROFR thread to see how much it actually sold for. It matched my U/Y but that price point scared me away. My real curiosity is what this new pricing means for the eventual price for DLT direct. The demand seems so high so it feels like it will sell out really fast but at the same time, I'm not so sure people will jump in so easily if the cost and points chart is too high.

I’ve been watching the resale sites with interest and it seems that VGC resale contracts are pretty much non-existent. If I wanted to sell one of mine I would probably start off listing it at something like $340 per point, just because of the scarcity.

I’ve been watching the resale sites with interest and it seems that VGC resale contracts are pretty much non-existent. If I wanted to sell one of mine I would probably start off listing it at something like $340 per point, just because of the scarcity.
I was always curious as to why VGC resale sold for less than direct. It is the one TRUE sold out resort because no one can even buy direct. And if no one can buy direct, then why wouldn't resale cost more than direct prices? I don't know though. At some point, the price has to plateu and start decreasing because the ROI starts to diminish with the waning life of the contract. But then again, the location and quality of VGC defies all prognosis. Who knows, maybe it'll go up to $400pp one day and we'll all say we all saw that coming.

I bought into VGC in January of last year with a March close. 320 points at $175 pp. It's insane how much it's gone up in a year. I haven't seen any resale recently under $280 pp for VGC. I've heard many podcasters predict the direct price of the Disneyland Tower will be somewhere between $240-260. If it doesn't go on sale for another year or two, I have a hard time seeing that.

I bought into VGC in January of last year with a March close. 320 points at $175 pp. It's insane how much it's gone up in a year. I haven't seen any resale recently under $280 pp for VGC. I've heard many podcasters predict the direct price of the Disneyland Tower will be somewhere between $240-260. If it doesn't go on sale for another year or two, I have a hard time seeing that.
I closed on two contracts totaling 320 points this past May for $220pp. I wish I had your foresight a year ago. Prices are listed high but if you look at the ROFR thread, the few VGC contracts that are out there are selling for $220-245pp. The smaller 30-60pt contracts have sold for $270-295pp. I think DLT will sell for $250pp with no incentives but I'm hopeful about the points chart because most of the rooms are studios that sleep 4 and look very small, nothing like the Riviera rooms which are pretty big and sleep 5. Most people will only buy small 25-75pt contracts.

I closed on two contracts totaling 320 points this past May for $220pp. I wish I had your foresight a year ago. Prices are listed high but if you look at the ROFR thread, the few VGC contracts that are out there are selling for $220-245pp. The smaller 30-60pt contracts have sold for $270-295pp. I think DLT will sell for $250pp with no incentives but I'm hopeful about the points chart because most of the rooms are studios that sleep 4 and look very small, nothing like the Riviera rooms which are pretty big and sleep 5. Most people will only buy small 25-75pt contracts.
I haven't been reviewing the ROFR thread since I bought in, just glanced at some resale prices when I saw direct minimum is going up to 150 points minimum. It's good to know that larger contracts, if you can find them, can still be obtained for under $250 pp currently. I was kicking myself for buying in when Disneyland wasn't open for most of 2020 but DW thankfully convinced me to do nothing!

I haven't been reviewing the ROFR thread since I bought in, just glanced at some resale prices when I saw direct minimum is going up to 150 points minimum. It's good to know that larger contracts, if you can find them, can still be obtained for under $250 pp currently. I was kicking myself for buying in when Disneyland wasn't open for most of 2020 but DW thankfully convinced me to do nothing!
Using VGC points to stay somewhere in WDW must have been painful but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. I too will be making my first trip to Orlando this August. A bit scared about the weather but at least they were open.

It's amazing how small VGC DVC really is. Sometimes I wonder if they would ever consider doing something like what VGF2 is doing, converting some hotel rooms to DVC to increase inventory. Probably not since Grand Cal hotel rooms make so much money. Even though I paid $220pp for my contracts, I still feel extremely happy and feel I will more then get my money's worth in the first 10 years. Even if the resale price continue to rise, I don't think I'd ever want to sell. I really hope Disneyland Foreward comes to fruition in my lifetime. It's about time Disneyland sees some expansion.

More VGC resale or buy direct at WDW for the blue card? So far I don’t really see many blue card benefits at DLR.

More VGC resale or buy direct at WDW for the blue card? So far I don’t really see many blue card benefits at DLR.

I think it depends on if you do other DVC vacations besides DL. My home resort is VGC and I have the blue card. There aren't as many benefits there, but we travel to other Disney resorts. For example, we liked taking advantage of the blue card member benefits at the Aulani. So for us, it was worth it.

If you don’t go to WDW enough to take advantage of the AP discount regularly I wouldn’t buy direct-we are mainly DL travels. We bought 25 AKV points directly when that’s all you needed for direct benefits-we only go to WDW every few years max so I’m not sure even that was worth it.

That’s a nice price! I’m still astonished I got my “unicorns” last year - two small VGC contracts at 27 and 35 points respectively for $195/point. The only thing that would have made them more perfect was if they were Sep UY over Oct UY! I decided to stay small because we live in MA and don’t expect to be out in DL more than every other or every third year, but looking at prices now, sometimes I wonder if we shouldn’t have gotten more points.

I was interested in the Tower but now that I have my VGC points, I’ll just continue to hold out hope that Reflections will return. :-)

That’s a nice price! I’m still astonished I got my “unicorns” last year - two small VGC contracts at 27 and 35 points respectively for $195/point. The only thing that would have made them more perfect was if they were Sep UY over Oct UY! I decided to stay small because we live in MA and don’t expect to be out in DL more than every other or every third year, but looking at prices now, sometimes I wonder if we shouldn’t have gotten more points.

I was interested in the Tower but now that I have my VGC points, I’ll just continue to hold out hope that Reflections will return. :-)
Who buys 27 point contracts? Those are some nice unicorns. I don’t think UYs matter much for VGC. They’re so hard to find, just getting a contract there is good enough! Reflections is a hard one. There are so many DVC resorts in WDW already, especially in that MK area. What WDW needs is a 5th park!

Glad I got a VGC contract back in 2016 for $140pp. At the time I felt we overpaid (we probably did). I plan to buy a smaller DLT contact too. DLT will likely increase in value over time, or at least hold its value.

Just do some good projective math. I was about to buy VGC about a year ago. When I did my projection of owning for 10 years and also looking at a break even point from staying in the hotel vs. buying VGC, it was way too far out for me to reach a break even point. I decided I was better off paying the really high nightly rate at the hotel. That was in line with how I travel, though. Your projection and break even might be totally different than mine.
I bought last year-didn't do any sort of projection on break even point though. I knew I was over paying-but I just love the Grand Californian! I am ok with going every 3 years.I would never pay the retail rate....would pick somewhere else for the money. Now I get to go anyway:-)

Glad I got a VGC contract back in 2016 for $140pp. At the time I felt we overpaid (we probably did). I plan to buy a smaller DLT contact too. DLT will likely increase in value over time, or at least hold its value.
And will probably have a 2075 expiration date. That is a loooong time!

I think we're ramping up to sell our VGC points...

We got them back in 2009 when we lived closer to DL. They were selling them with developer credits and we were going several times a year - seemed like a no-brainer at the time (plus we got 4 fast passes - woo!), so we loaded up.

We're on the east coast now and the kids are all finally in school (K,2,3), which severely limits our flexibility (in time and expense) to travel across the country. And it feels wrong to use VGC points for OKW or SSR.

I'm not sure if I've seen a resale go into 6-figures. Then again, I've only recently started looking since direct is now at $310pp and finding historical sales is challenging. Maybe I'll reach out to a reseller... 🤔

I bought into VGC at about $125 per point in 2014-2015 and was absolutely kicking myself for not getting in at the beginning, a few years earlier. I feel a bit better now, though.

I bought one at this time for this price and another for even less. Two of the best purchases I have made. Indeed, all of my DVC resale purchases have made me happy both with the joy my family and I received from using the points—most important—and the appreciation in price. I’m now buying some additional BLT resale and probably will buy VGF2 direct. Those purchases do not at this time seem like bargains (who knows what VGF2 will cost), but still we will enjoy the points.

I think we're ramping up to sell our VGC points...

I'm not sure if I've seen a resale go into 6-figures. Then again, I've only recently started looking since direct is now at $310pp and finding historical sales is challenging. Maybe I'll reach out to a reseller... 🤔
How many points you got??? 6 figures...?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter