Vero Beach Questions

jamiepierce1

Mouseketeer
How is the beach at Vero Beach? Is the water shallow and can you walk out far? Is it wavy? Water temp? A lot of sea shells? What time of year are the turtles there? How long do people usually go? Thanks for all the answers. We are trying to plan a split stay with WDW.

Turtle season is summer to mid fall. You will not be able to have lights on your balcony at njght due to the turtles. The water is generally warms mid April to Nov I live in Florida and do not get in the water at other times. The water can be rough at times.

The beach is pretty nice and you can walk out about 50-100 feet or so. I find early morning to be the best time to go out - such as 8am-noon as the waves are less and the water is clearer. In the afternoon, the tide can bring in a dark brown color from the inlet and it will cloud the water.

Waves are generally not bad at all and the water is pretty warm for 10 months of the year.

Shells are small and not as nice as the west coast of Florida.

Turtles are super protected and the eggs are marked off so you can't disturb them. When they lay eggs or when they hatch, it is a BIG deal and amazing to watch. In Florida, sea turtles come ashore to nest beginning in May and hatching continues until late October.

I think 3 nights would be a nice trip.

The beach at DVC VB is nothing like the gulf coast beaches. Not very deep/wide beach and there is a good drop off in the water. Not an expansive beach with an expansive shore like on the gulf.

We did two nights at VB several years ago and won't go back. It was plenty of time there for us. We prefer the gulf.

The beach at DVC VB is nothing like the gulf coast beaches. Not very deep/wide beach and there is a good drop off in the water. Not an expansive beach with an expansive shore like on the gulf.

We did two nights at VB several years ago and won't go back. It was plenty of time there for us. We prefer the gulf.

This is true, but if you love the ocean (versus the gulf), you will love Vero Beach.

Deb & kplank are right. The VB resort is on the ocean and the waves can be minimal to downright impossible to get beyond. I love the ocean and riding the waves, and I just love the resort so much. Having the resort right on the beach really makes it nice to go down to the beach for a while then go to the pool or back to the room for a snack or a change in view and moving from one to the other with a short walk is a real plus for us. If you haven't discovered it yet check out the VB Info thread http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215686
You will find a chart with typical air and water temps.

The beach is natural almost to a fault. It is very small with a lot of debris in the sand. Not a lot to do outside the resort so most only stay 2-3 days. We used to go to WDW for five days then two to three days at VB. If there is a strong wind there may be hundreds of Man of War on beach and the water is almost un-swimable when this happens.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

The beach is natural almost to a fault. It is very small with a lot of debris in the sand. Not a lot to do outside the resort so most only stay 2-3 days. We used to go to WDW for five days then two to three days at VB. If there is a strong wind there may be hundreds of Man of War on beach and the water is almost un-swimable when this happens.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Well, it is small, but finding space to set up camp is easy compared to all the other beaches I have ever been to (a lot) crowding is not an issue. I have been to VB in the double digit times and only once had an encounter with Man-O-War. Yes, they can be there, but not many people have spent the amount of time in the water there as I have. It is more mentally scary than reality. I also want to make sure the term debris is not interpreted to mean trash. There are shells, wood, rocks, and other things the ocean deposits on every beach, but not trash. We just got back from a trip to the gulf side and we could not go into the water without water shoes because of the amount of sharp shells... VB is not like that. Agreed, the water can be un-swimmable when the waves are over the top. The caveat is for who? I live for the over the top waves and I can tell you that those waves, unfortunately, only happen about less than 5% of the time. That said, if you have younger children you obviously don't let them play in the waves by themselves. Anyone going into the ocean (anywhere) should have a flotation device of some kind ATTACHED to them. The VB resort gives you the beach and ocean right on your doorstep. It is unique.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter