• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vegetarian Dining reviews: 9/10 - 9/15

battricia

<font color=FF00CC>From the home of the Peeps and
Hi! I'm going to post my vegetarian dining reviews for everyone. I've also got some pictures of San Angel Inn because it seems to be a big question for veggies.

To start I'll say my SO and I are both vegetarian, we eat no meat, poultry or fish, but we do eat dairy and eggs So take the term 'vegetarian' for what it's worth, I know this can get touchy but I think we can safely say we're vegetarian. We were also on the dining plan but we only used 2 counter services (that weren't breakfast) at the same place.

Anyway here goes:

Sunday night: 1900 Park Fare

Since this is a buffet (and a limited one at that..) there wasn't too much different, but there was enough. The chef came out and told me what to stay away from. The broccoli salad has bacon on it, the caesar salad has anchovies in the dressing (typical for most caesar dressings), and the pasta on the separate pasta section has shrimp in the sauce.

The cheese tortillini was pretty good. I also enjoyed the steamed (?) veggies and the tomato and fresh mozzarella was really good. Chef said both soups (cream of mushroom and some type of minestrone) were vegetarian, the minestrone being vegan. But I only had eyes for one soup: the strawberry soup. Oh man was that good. It was worth it alone for the strawberry soup, and what I had for dessert. They had bananas foster, bread pudding and an amazing vanilla sauce. It was one of the best desserts I had. They also had soft serve icecream and some other things but after having the bread pudding I couldn't downgrade to icecream.

It was pretty good and I liked the characters but I was really surprised how small it was, and what a limited selection of food there was. I didn't eat anything that I didn't like though so that was good.

Next up: Mama Melrose

Monday Night: Mama Melrose

I really liked this restaurant dispite not even wanting to go. My SO really wanted to go so I went for him.. and I'm glad I did!!

As an appetizer I had (I can't remember what it was called but..) what basically consisted of some sort of cheese, a little zingier than ricotta but similar consistancy, in a tomato sauce. It came with bread to spread it on. Not what I was expecting, but it was pretty good.

SO had the bruschetta which was nice, very traditional and very enjoyable. We shared both appetizers which was nice to get a taste of some different things.

For our main meal we both had eggplant napoleon. The eggplant was REALLY good, not greasy at all, which is usually not the case when you order eggplant out (breaded eggplant, anyway). The cheese was OK and the tomatoes didn't seem completely ripe, but they were edible. The dish came on top of a 'cannellini bean ragu' and I liked that. It complimented the eggplant very well. SO finished his and mine! I ate all my eggplant though since it was so good.

For dessert: Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake. This was good but not great, and I'm a chocolate LOVER. The little pistachio wafer that came with it was really good, and the sauce was really good also. The cake was just OK. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't oohing and aahing over it either.

Conclusion for Mama Melrose: The atmosphere was wonderful. Our waiter was EXCELLENT which I wasn't expecting, so that was a pleasant surprise. I enjoyed this meal because the portions were JUST RIGHT to have an appetizer, meal, and dessert and not be keeling over in the warm florida weather. As I said I was really not looking forward to this restaurant but I had a great time here, and a great meal!

Next: L'original Alfredos.

:thumbsup2 Woo! Another vegetarian reviewer :) I'm enjoying them so far :)

Keep the reviews coming! I leave in three days and really want to hear about San Angel Inn since we have an ADR there next week.

I love reading fellow vegetarian reviews! Cannot wait to hear about San Angel!

Thanks for reading! On with the reviews.

Tuesday: L'original Alfredos di blah blah blah... (you get the idea!)

I'm going to admit I wasn't really a fan of this place. The food was decent enough but the server seemed less than thrilled with us, especially after we told him we were vegetarian. First he was pretty much disgusted with us since we only ordered a soda. It's all I drink, and we don't drink any alcohol so there wasnt many other options. My SO wanted to know if there was anything vegetarian (he was hoping to get the tricotto di pasta, but he didn't realize the lasagna had meat in it), which is when we informed him that we don't eat meat. He quickly said 'NO' and pointed to the one main course options on the menu that was vegetarian. That was about all he was going to offer us, not that we needed anything else, but my SO really wanted to try the mushroom pasta dumplings if they didn't have meat. He barely even served us or got us more drinks, we saw the bus boy way more than we saw him, which was OK because the busboy was much more friendly.

For an appetizer we both had mozzarella alla caprese, which was OK. The mozzarella was pretty decent, but the tomatoes weren't that ripe at all. The olive was really good though if you're a fan of olives, just watch out for the huge pit! (I cut the 'meat' off mine instead of biting into it, and there wasn't much 'meat' on there...).

For a main course we both had (obviously!) the fettuccine alfredo. It was really good, I thought. The bowl was HUGE, and there was no way I could finish it all off. My SO didn't enjoy it as much as I did. He said it was like they put a brick of cheese in. I love cheese so that didn't bother me. :teeth: Neither of us could finish it off. I barely ate a bite of dessert since I was so stuffed. But my SO finished mine off for me!

For dessert we got the Chocolate Mousse. I enjoyed it, it was good, but my SO makes it better ;) . The little chocolate stick thing that came with it was pretty good though.

For the most part I didn't enjoy this restaurant. We sat about a foot away from another couple, which is OK for me, but I felt like I was all up in their business and I didn't want them to feel uncomfortable. It was also very loud, there was barely any room to walk, and the servers would come barreling through with huge trays of food. I was afraid a few might get dropped on me :rolleyes1

Here is a picture of my SO (so you can see how crowded it was.. but the pic is quite dark..) No pictures of the food, sorry. I figured it's pretty standard and you can see everything we ate on the Food picture thread.

al1.jpg

Up next: (what you've all been apparently waiting for!) San angel Inn

Wednesday: San Angel Inn!

This was a very exciting restaurant for us, as we LOVE mexican food. We went the night before just to check out the vegetarian menu since there has been so much speculation on the boards about it, and most people didn't seem to remember or know what was on it. There were only 2 things on it but, the one we got was AMAZING.

For starters we had the nachos with out the chili/meat. These were OK, my SO really liked them, but i thought the chips were kindof bad, as if they came straight out of the bag. I've been to a number of mexican restaurants and most of them make their chips themselves, so I guess I just expected that.. but whatever. The preparation was decent though. Lots of cheese which I liked.

Pic:
sai3.jpg

For a main course there was two options. I will post them both here even though we only got the one, that way people will know. I didn't write them down word for word but here goes:

Option #1 was Vegetable Enchiladas. There were a variety of vegetables including zucchini, onions, mushrooms, and other stuff.

Option #2, which my SO and I both got, was called Plato Combinacion. It included one vegetable and black bean filled burrito, one cheese enchilada with verde sauce, and spanish rice.

Pic (sorry I took a bite before taking a pic, I was so excited to dig in!):
sai1.jpg

This was SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD. OMG. The cheese enchilada was really good, the verde sauce was tangy and it went perfectly with the meal. They put a ton of sour cream on which is OK with me because I love it. The burrito was interesting, in a good way. The brown sauce on top (mole` I think) was really nice, it was smokey and zippy and I really liked it. The burrito was in a corn tortilla which was definately different (we usually make ours in flour tortillas) but I REALLY liked it. The vegetables were OK but I wish there was more beans than vegetables, as I LOVE a bean burrito. I loved the rice also even though it was really mild and basic spanish rice. I ate all of the rice. I would definately recommend the plato combinacion to anyone who has an inkling of interest in mexican food, anyone who likes beans and cheese, etc. I will just warn because I know some vegetarians don't like mushrooms (though I do), the burrito did have mushrooms and they were obvious. But on the bright side they were obvious enough to be able to pull them out because you can see them.

And for dessert: Capirotada de Chocolate Blanco. Don't ask me what that means! But I will describe it. (Oh and also, a picture!)

pic:
sai2.jpg

Ok, on the menu it said this had some sort of white chocolate which I didn't ever actually find? But it was still good. It was a sort of bread pudding, with raisins and an amazing caramel sauce (which the menu said came from milk or had milk in it or something?). I really liked this dessert but I wish there weren't so many raisins. The whole thing was very mild but every time I bit into a raisin it was a little zippy. I guess some people might have liked that, but I could have eaten the whole thing if there weren't any raisins in it. It was still very good and I ate most of it. My SO finished it off.

And there it is! My San Angel Inn review. The atmosphere is VERY romantic here. It's a beautiful place and even though it was crowded (I don't think there was an empty table), it was not loud or crowded the way Alfredos was. I would definately recommend this restaurant to anyone going to epcot, despite the bad reviews I've seen in the past. I was very nervous trying this restaurant but it turns out I LOVED it!

up next: Wispering Canyon Cafe.

Thank you for the San Angel Inn review! It looks great. I was hesitant, like you because of the bad reviews, but I'm very excited that we have an ADR there now.

Thanks for your reviews. It's nice to know what's actually on the vegetarian menu. I've always ordered something from the regular menu and asked them to leave the meat out.

:thumbsup2 Again, thank you so much for your awesome reviews! I, too, love the vegetarian combo at San Angel Inn. I think it's a really good value and very tasty :)

Thanks for the vegetarian reviews! I really liked the Plato Combinacion the first time I had it--not so much the 2nd time because it wasn't hot, but San Angel Inn is our FAVORITE for the atmosphere and beauty of the surroundings, plus we had good service both times.

battricia said:
Thanks for reading! On with the reviews.

Tuesday: L'original Alfredos di blah blah blah... (you get the idea!)

I'm going to admit I wasn't really a fan of this place. The food was decent enough but the server seemed less than thrilled with us, especially after we told him we were vegetarian. First he was pretty much disgusted with us since we only ordered a soda. It's all I drink, and we don't drink any alcohol so there wasnt many other options. My SO wanted to know if there was anything vegetarian (he was hoping to get the tricotto di pasta, but he didn't realize the lasagna had meat in it), which is when we informed him that we don't eat meat. He quickly said 'NO' and pointed to the one main course options on the menu that was vegetarian. That was about all he was going to offer us, not that we needed anything else, but my SO really wanted to try the mushroom pasta dumplings if they didn't have meat. He barely even served us or got us more drinks, we saw the bus boy way more than we saw him, which was OK because the busboy was much more friendly.

For an appetizer we both had mozzarella alla caprese, which was OK. The mozzarella was pretty decent, but the tomatoes weren't that ripe at all. The olive was really good though if you're a fan of olives, just watch out for the huge pit! (I cut the 'meat' off mine instead of biting into it, and there wasn't much 'meat' on there...).

For a main course we both had (obviously!) the fettuccine alfredo. It was really good, I thought. The bowl was HUGE, and there was no way I could finish it all off. My SO didn't enjoy it as much as I did. He said it was like they put a brick of cheese in. I love cheese so that didn't bother me. :teeth: Neither of us could finish it off. I barely ate a bite of dessert since I was so stuffed. But my SO finished mine off for me!

For dessert we got the Chocolate Mousse. I enjoyed it, it was good, but my SO makes it better ;) . The little chocolate stick thing that came with it was pretty good though.

For the most part I didn't enjoy this restaurant. We sat about a foot away from another couple, which is OK for me, but I felt like I was all up in their business and I didn't want them to feel uncomfortable. It was also very loud, there was barely any room to walk, and the servers would come barreling through with huge trays of food. I was afraid a few might get dropped on me :rolleyes1

Here is a picture of my SO (so you can see how crowded it was.. but the pic is quite dark..) No pictures of the food, sorry. I figured it's pretty standard and you can see everything we ate on the Food picture thread.

al1.jpg

Up next: (what you've all been apparently waiting for!) San angel Inn

I am also a veggie- I had the trio- however they left off the lasagna and they added more ziti! I had the pasta dumplings stuffed with imported black truffles, mushrooms and cheese- I didnt taste any meat in them-- they were delish! The sauce was incredible- so was the fresh tomato and basil sauce on the ziti--- mmmmmm- I mixed them up a bit...and.... YUM!

I do agree about the mozzarella and tomato salad- the tomatoes were not ripe at all. yuk.

Dont feel bad about the server not liking you- our server was so busy talking to the guy next to us who spoke italian, we barely saw her! :guilty: ...but we will be back anyway! :banana:

There is a new vegetarian dish at Epcot in UK world is the ROSE and Crown (next to the pub) called the VEGETABLE SELECTION... is is sooooooooo yummy. It has different types of vegetables wrapped in a phyllo dough with a curry saffron sauce. It is so amazing i went back the next day to have it for lunch. Very filling and not at all expensive about $12. I highly recommend it. :wizard: Have a Magical Day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter