VDH direct, AUL direct or wait for VDH resale?

What floor / room are you in Astro and did you request it? We've stayed at VGC a few times a got nothing buy pine trees (but we could hear the sounds from your picture)!
We requested a high floor theme park view and got 5508. I admit that we felt very lucky to get that room on our first VGC stay with the points we got earlier this year. Those memories will last a lifetime.

Additionally, it was amazing how quiet it was in the room relative to how close we were to the action. When we opened the slider to the balcony there was a ton of hustle and bustle… close the slider and we could hardly hear a thing.

Last edited:
We requested a high floor theme park view and got 5508.
We always request a high floor theme park view as well, and seemingly always receive a mid or lower level service area view instead! The best view we’ve ever gotten is a sliver of Goofy’s Sky School looming over the ever present back stage service area.

We always request a high floor theme park view as well, and seemingly always receive a mid or lower level service area view instead! The best view we’ve ever gotten is a sliver of Goofy’s Sky School looming over the ever present back stage service area.
Our last two room requests have given us the best rooms we could hope for (Aulani GV and VGC 1BD)…so I am sure our upcoming trips (VDH 1BD and VGC 2BD) will bring us back to reality.

In your case I would definitely recommend direct purchase. We have subsidized Aulani points that are grandfathered so we can use at any resort. While I love the subsidy, I’d give it up in a minute if they were restricted use. Our patterns have changed a few times over the years. Having the ability to use all our points anywhere at 7 months has been a huge benefit. I did a small add on at Disneyland villas and ended up using the first set of points to extend our upcoming Aulani stay. It’s so much easier to have the flexibility of direct.

I’m west coast based and love going to Disneyland and Aulani every year too. I’ve been following this board, and just missed the Aulani direct promotion for $133 point at (300 points) at the end of 2021. I’m still bummed about that, and I doubt Disney will offer that promotion again. The VGF recent promotion seemed close, but we are so far away so passed on that.

I decided to purchase Aulani resale in order to qualify for VDH member pricing in 2023. Many people recommended buying resale first to save thousands of dollars when a new resort opens. The member incentives at VDH were not that great, and I think I saved a total of $100. I am obsessed now and I’m already thinking about my next strategy. My husband does not love DVC, as he really loves daily housekeeping and access to club level. So I might continue to book hotel stays when I run out of points.

I thought about buying resale VGC, but the pricing was so high. We actually have a friend with older children that wants to sell his contract, but I just couldn’t pull the trigger at that price. Plus I think that VGC and Aulani are badly in need of a remodel.

Good luck on your strategy! Once you start, addonitis becomes a real thing…
Did you say you saved a total of $100 total cost of contract?? or $100pp??

Anyway, of course it’s a nice resort, and it’s all very subjective, but there are negatives. For me, even though it was clearly inspired by the Wilderness Lodge, it just doesn’t compare.
I’m not sure that’s true. lol

Did you say you saved a total of $100 total cost of contract?? or $100pp??
Oh, I wish I saved $100pp. Lol

I saved $22 per point, and paid $208/PP by purchasing before May 29.

If I had purchased on May 30, I would have paid $217.38 per point as new member - I can't find what existing members would have paid. Also, I'm not sure why I thought I only saved $100 by purchasing a resale contract before purchasing VDH, and I don't know what I was looking at.

Last edited:
Ok, I wish I saved $100pp. Lol

I saved $22 per point, and paid $208/PP by purchasing before May 29.

If I had purchased on May 30, I would have paid $217.38 per point as new member - I can't find what existing members would have paid. Also, I'm not sure why I thought I only saved $100 by purchasing a resale contract before purchasing VDH, and I don't know what I was looking at.
You might be comparing pre-sale vs summer incentives for existing members at VDH? When the summer incentives came out, the total cost was $100 more for existing members to buy 200 points at VDH vs buying the same at pre-sale.

You might be comparing pre-sale vs summer incentives for existing members at VDH? When the summer incentives came out, the total cost was $100 more for existing members to buy 200 points at VDH vs buying the same at pre-sale.
Yep - I waited until the last few days of the existing members pre-sale and compared with the incentives after that. It increased $100 total so it was better to do the pre-sale 🤣

That must be it! I did save some money by buying a resale contract before purchasing direct at VDH. Not much, but I guess the mouse always wins!

A few things to consider about your kids and their ages (I'm not smart enough to do all of the math above!!): when your kids are little, you can pull them out of school at random times for a Disney or Hawaii trip, but when they are older, they will not want to miss any school (so you will be traveling at peak crowd times). This can make the 11 month booking window (thus buying where you want to stay) a big advantage. Another thing to look at is the bedding in each option. When you have littles, 2 queens are just fine. When you have two teenagers who are almost 6' tall, 2 queens is not going to cut it at all! So think about those bedding arrangements in the studios, and know that you might need to go up to a 1BR as the kids grow.

A few things to consider about your kids and their ages (I'm not smart enough to do all of the math above!!): when your kids are little, you can pull them out of school at random times for a Disney or Hawaii trip, but when they are older, they will not want to miss any school (so you will be traveling at peak crowd times). This can make the 11 month booking window (thus buying where you want to stay) a big advantage. Another thing to look at is the bedding in each option. When you have littles, 2 queens are just fine. When you have two teenagers who are almost 6' tall, 2 queens is not going to cut it at all! So think about those bedding arrangements in the studios, and know that you might need to go up to a 1BR as the kids grow.
Umh... This makes me think I was a bad parent for pulling my kids out of school for Disney! Oh well, dark side wins.

; )

Umh... This makes me think I was a bad parent for pulling my kids out of school for Disney! Oh well, dark side wins.

; )
I loved pulling mine out and going at lower crowd times! But then they got to HS and had too many AP classes that they didn't want to miss due to all of the make-up work. Frown... Now we are stuck going at all of the most crowded times! I know it will all get better later when they aren't on this schedule, but for now, that's where we are!

I loved pulling mine out and going at lower crowd times! But then they got to HS and had too many AP classes that they didn't want to miss due to all of the make-up work. Frown... Now we are stuck going at all of the most crowded times! I know it will all get better later when they aren't on this schedule, but for now, that's where we are!
Ours just this year are both at university. So….

My wife and I did a Disney cruise without them. Going to VDH next year as a couple! Love it. She even gets the characters on video wishing them well in uni while mom and dad are at Disney. Too funny. Jack Skellington is the best.

Another Northern California resident. We bought direct at Aulani and then piled on the points resale (at $90-100 a point over various contracts). Enough for an annual 10+ day stay in a 2 bedroom and bring along extended family in a studio. We also bought direct at VDH as we make multiple trips to DLR every year and we’re tired of paying $$$ for 1 and 2 bedroom suites on multiple trips. We generally do two longer trips of 6+ days and 2 shorter trips of 3-4 days. We bought at VDH….we’re the sacrilegious people who aren’t really enamored with VGC the way some are. Zero interest in buying WDW points. We might add on some resale VDH down the line, or a small VGC contract if prices ever drop below $230. We’ve got plenty at Aulani but could add another 50-100 points resale if the price was right!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter