Valet Parking with a Handicapped Tag

Nadine and Fred

<br>DIS Veteran
My BIL and SIL who both have mobility issues, will be renting a car and will bring their handicapped hang tag from home. I seem to remember something about the fee for valet parking being waived in a situation like this. Is this true??? Thanks

Yes, they will waive the valet parking fee.
Just make sure the handicapped parking tag is visible and you are all set. Tips are still appreciated by the parking CMs though (especially if they help you remove wheelchairs, walkers or ecvs from your vehicle).

Valet parking at WDW resorts is complimentary for handicapped/disabled guests. It is a very nice perk that I hope they don't take away. I do tip the CMs both coming & going.

The valets are "tip positions" and their pay rate is less than minimum wage. They do not get any portion of the fee charged.

Generally I will tip either $1 or $2 both in and out if my ECV is not involved. My theory is if the weather is extremely hot or humid, or it is raining, I will tip more.

If they remove my ECV from the trunk and assemble it, or disassemble it and put it in the trunk I will then usually tip $5.

If however, I need and do not receive assistance with the ECV, then not only is there no tip, but also a discussion with a supervisor.

Cheshire Figment, Your post reminded me of our experience at the Contemporary in October. I was traveling with a friend and we both have young children in wheelchairs. When we valet parked at the contemporary, we told the attendent we had two wheelchairs we needed to unload. I had the tip already in my hand, ready to give him for his assistance with the chairs. The young man simply said "Oh, okay." and then he turned and walked away!!! So my friend and I had to unload the chairs by ourselves, get the kids settled in their chairs and then when we started to walk away from the car with them, this valet fellow suddenly returned waiting for a tip!! I was appalled! Then, when we didnt give him a tip, he left the vehicle running in the middle of the BUSY driveway with the door wide open! We stood for a few minutes by the valet desk waiting to see if he would at least close the door to the car (we were afraid it was going to get hit by another car). Finally, we had to complain to the supervisor.
All that was bad enough, but when we returned to pick up the car later that evening (we had eaten at Chef Mickeys and done some shopping), and they returned our car, we discovered the oxygen concentrator in the back had been turned over on its side and slung back against the back door (minivan). That concentrator is heavy and the only way it could have tipped like that was if the car was treated roughly around a turn OR on purpose! We figured the valet fellow got in trouble and then took it out on the vehicle and its contents!!
I was sorely disappointed in the valet service at the Contemporary! BTW, the valet who helped us when the car was picked up was very nice and helped with the wheelchairs and got a very nice tip!!
Angela

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, amasonmom.

Angela, I am sorry to read you did not get good valet service at the Contemporary. I am glad you spoke up.

Last week I drove my car with the ECV in the trunk to the Beach Club & valet parked. My husband was with our friend behind us. They did not arrive with me since they got delayed by traffic lights. When I pulled up the valet CM, JOSE, came right up to the car. I told him I had an ECV in the trunk, but my husband was not behind me. Before I knew it was at the trunk ready to get the ECV out. I started to help him, but he said it was lighter than others he had lifted, so this was easy. He even waited until I got everytrhing out of the back seat - purse, towel, water bottles, etc. After we were finished, guess who showed up!? On our return to valet later, Jose was still working & readily helped my husband put it in the trunk. Believe me, he got tipped well!!

And I didn't even have to tell Jose I get complimentary parking ... he noticed the handicapped hanging parking tag in the front seat before I had a chance to tell him - efficient & courteous & helpful!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter