Vacation Point changes?

heidihiden

Earning My Ears
We are supposed to go down for halloween in just 6 weeks. But we are considering not going down with everything that has happened. If we delay the trip until spring it is not a big deal.. Safety for my family is my concern at this time. My question is does anyone know if the Vacation Club is doing anything for cancellations in regards to vacation points.. My year comes up in December, So by general rules I would lose most of my points. I am wondering if any exceptions are being made with rolling over points. I would think that Member Services is being flooded with calls about this. I would hope that we would not be forced to lose points due to something that we could not control... I would like to be able to roll over all of my points for this year.... Help!!!

I'm not sure what the policy will be. They are being very accomodating to those whose vacations were affected by the inability to fly over this past week.

The problem in allowing a blanket rollover of points is that the system will be knocked out of whack for everyone. I'm not saying that it might not be possible for them to extend special circumstance policies but I wouldn't rely on it.

An option might be to look at what use you could make of the points closer to home. Just remember, you can take a non-DVC trip at any time but the reservations must be made 60 days or more from the end of your Use Year. In your case, you'd the reservation would need to be made by the end of October for a trip in November or December.

heidihiden wrote: "If we delay the trip until spring it is not a big deal.. Safety for my family is my concern at this time. "

I understand your emotional reaction, but I need to express to you that you need to reconsider based on logic and facts. There are threads all over this and other boards about how we should not let terrorists change our lives. You claim that your concern is safety, but the safety of your family is either unchanged or GREATER now than it was a week ago. You are at risk, but you were at risk before. You (and the rest of us) were just unaware of the risk. Now aware of our enemy, we are on guard and likely safer than before. Certainly that risk will not be less next spring when the war is likely to have begun in earnest. In a column on MSNBC.com are a list of 10 things we all can do right now to help the war effort. Most of these are things that require no risk (no added risk) and amount to what the president has asked as well- GO ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS AND YOUR LIFE AS NORMAL. This goes with the obvious caution to be aware of behaviors and actions that in the current context could be worth reporting. (example-people giving flying lessons need to be careful whom they teach,etc.)
Your family's trip in 6 weeks should not be cancelled out of safety concerns. Unless you are now planning to go live in a bunker, your perception of their safety-not their actual safety-is the only thing different. To disrupt your life, and thus disrupt the normal workings of both DVC and the fabric of America is harmful to DVC-one of the communities I am sure you care about-and harmful to America, which I am sure you love.

Paul

I would suggest you take advantage of the rent/trade board and look to rent out the points if you don't get satisfation from DVC. That way you could re-purchase the points for when you need them. If the expiration date gets within 30 days, i would start booking ressies and look to rent them, this way you wouldnt be completely locked out of a ressie. I do however have a feeling that in light of the recent disaster, many ressies were canceled , so dates should have opened up considerably. Good luck to you!, ron7654@yahoo.com

Paul, very well said.
We are also going down at Halloween time and are not
cancelling our trip due to the recent events of this week.
We cannot let terrorists terrorize us! That is what they
want.

God Bless America

Well said, Paul! My first reaction was to post what you already put so eloquently.

Paul , I agree, the best thing for people to do is to go on living their lives as normal. Adverse reaction and panic is the object of terrorist action. We are going to WDW on Sunday and, while I realize what has happened, I do trust that the security now in place is the best solution for us now. It will require that we get to the Airport early but other than that our plans and lives are not going to change. You are now for the most part safer than when you first planned your trip.
I refuse to bow to the lower mental status of these SOB's and I will not have my life changed by them. They will have their lives changed when they see a rocket with an American Flag on it comming straight at them.

I know that they are allowing anybody to cancel until Nov 15 without penalties. They are putting the points back in their account. I don't know if they are allowing people to bank those points without penalty. My feeling is they probably are on a case by case basis but you should call MS and ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter