UV in florida 10+, what number suncreen?

cottontail

DIS Veteran
Hello:

I don't think our canadian summers have ever seen 10+ for the uv reading. So what number of sunscreen do people use while in florida to not burn. I was thinking 30, or 45. Any comments?

Thanks,

Deb.

I am someone who burns very very easily, so I usually use the highest spf I can find (about 45), although there is debate if spf over 30 provides any more protection, I figure the extra will not hurt, even if it does nothing. My favorite brand is bull frog because it lasts all day and it is waterproof (I used to be a swimmer so I know it lasts a long time), some of their formulas come in spf 36 and others come in spf 45, I have no problem using the 36.

Also don't forget a sunscreen for your lips!

I'm very fair and blonde, so I burn incredibly easily, but I tend to do okay with a 15. I have real sensitive skin, and the chemicals in anything over a 15 usually makes me break out in hives. The most important thing is to make sure you use enough. Most people use a fraction of what they need, which is why they need high numbers. The average adult should use about an ounce, or enough to fill a shot glass. If you have a family of 4 and are going for 5 days, that means you'll need 10 8-oz bottles.

The best way to avoid a burn is to avoid the sun, especially between 10:00 and 2:00. Try to stay in the shade as much as possible, and wear a hat. And like Dumboroo mentioned, don't forget sunscreen for your lips. (If you don't wear a hat, don't forget sunscreen for your scalp.)

Believe it or not one of the best sunscreens on the market is Coppertone. If you go to consumer reports online you can check out the ratings. I have had 4 massive sunburns in my life so this is pretty important to help prevent skin cancer. I used 35 in FL and never got burned and I am as white as you can get with red hair. Since youre from Canada, we are from Seattle I suggest wearing hats. You wont be used to the sun beating down on you like it does in WDW.

Hi Everyone thanks for your help, I have # 45 packed but will buy one more, have hats packed but hubby says he will not wear a hat, as he hates wearing hats. Stubborn, well its his choice.

Deb.

Be careful if using coppertone (and banana boat) for the first time. I am not saying they are bad sunscreens, but I happen to one of these lucky people who is extremely allergic to them. My skin starts to sting like you would not believe. And the odd thing is it not just one of their products, I am allergic to all of them, so they must put something a little different in all of them.

I agree that with any brand, you need to test it before you go. I've had reactions to a wide range of sunscreens, from the cheapest to the most expensive ones you buy at the makeup counters in department stores.

I was so suprized that the gel and spray on sunblocks we took worked 100x better than the Cremes we have used in the past!!

We took Coppertone Gel 30spf,it is great on faces it drys fast, and lasts really well,even on a sweating adult!!

The Walgreen's brand spray on 30spf,worked great! the teens used both! But my 14yr. Dd complained because she didn't get any color!! She wanted to look like she had been on vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter