using a travel agent

firemanx

DIS Veteran
I've never used a travel agent, but I know reams is tops in the business, and thought maybe you guys could explain the benefits, how to of using a travel agent just an idea

Disney travel agents can do pretty much as much or as little as you want. They cost you nothing extra to use as they get their commission from Disney. They will typically apply discounts when they can.

I've never used a travel agent, but I know reams is tops in the business, and thought maybe you guys could explain the benefits, how to of using a travel agent just an idea
They've discussed this on the shows many times. After all, this site and the podcasts associated with it are all run by Dreams Unlimited Travel, a very good travel agency. We've used them personally for the last Podcast Cruise.

I've done trips both planning on my own and using a travel agency (Dreams to be specific) and I think for trips where you feel you are in the know and if you really like getting into the details and being on top of things, it is fun to do it on your own..... but if you are less in the know they can be super helpful

I think especially with tracking discounts using Dreams can help a lot as the one time I did use them for a WDW they helped with what the different options are and then when new discount came out they re-compared options, etc. I found I preferred to do things like booking ADRs and FPs myself, but others I am sure like having their agent do everything

When we did our Disney cruise, I knew so much less about that compared to WDW so having an agent was super helpful for that (plus we got a nice gift basket and on board credit)

I've done trips both planning on my own and using a travel agency (Dreams to be specific) and I think for trips where you feel you are in the know and if you really like getting into the details and being on top of things, it is fun to do it on your own..... but if you are less in the know they can be super helpful

I think especially with tracking discounts using Dreams can help a lot as the one time I did use them for a WDW they helped with what the different options are and then when new discount came out they re-compared options, etc. I found I preferred to do things like booking ADRs and FPs myself, but others I am sure like having their agent do everything

When we did our Disney cruise, I knew so much less about that compared to WDW so having an agent was super helpful for that (plus we got a nice gift basket and on board credit)
I did the same as TheMaxRebo, I know enough about WDW that I prefer to plan that myself. However, when we decided to do our first Disney Cruise I really didn't know what to expect especially since I have pretty much no cruising experience with Disney or anyone else. Plus the onboard credit was a nice incentive.

We have used the same TA for years. Her firm doesn’t give any incentives for Disney which is a bummer but her customer service, itinerary ideas, etc are well worth it. We use her for most trips. I often book my own air and then get her recommendations for hotels and rental car. She has also booked us on other cruise lines like crystal and silver sea. And we are doing Africa next year and she booked it. We have been stuck in s few places before with air problems, Hotel issues, etc and even with the time changes she’s on the ball and has been able to fix problems from thousands of miles away. Personally I wouldn’t travel without her.

We have used the same TA for years. Her firm doesn’t give any incentives for Disney which is a bummer but her customer service, itinerary ideas, etc are well worth it. We use her for most trips. I often book my own air and then get her recommendations for hotels and rental car. She has also booked us on other cruise lines like crystal and silver sea. And we are doing Africa next year and she booked it. We have been stuck in s few places before with air problems, Hotel issues, etc and even with the time changes she’s on the ball and has been able to fix problems from thousands of miles away. Personally I wouldn’t travel without her.

That’s a good point that a TA (at least a good one) can be a big help when you are in the middle of a trip and things have gone wrong due to weather or airline strikes or whatever

That’s a good point that a TA (at least a good one) can be a big help when you are in the middle of a trip and things have gone wrong due to weather or airline strikes or whatever

In what way if you don’t mind me asking?

In what way if you don’t mind me asking?

Experienced travel agents have easier access to hotel reservations, airlines, rental cars etc. those compAnies who deal with certain TAs regularly want to keep them happy. We were literally in the middle of a market somewhere in Italy and got a message that our flight the next day had been cancelled. I texted our agent and she was able to get us on another flight in no time. We have come into hotels where they have no record of our reservation. I’ve called her and she got through to the main line and fixed it. We have been upgraded into hotel suites or into concierge rooms on cruise lines other than Disney because of her. We get good rates in lots of places and in several cruise lines because of her firms relationships. For us it has saved lots of anxiety in many instances. And if we give her a list of what we want to see she puts together an itinerary that meets our needs.

Travel Agents can be invaluable, especially if you find one you like working with. The relationship that can be cultivated with the right agent can make your vacation planning 100 times easier.

I've booked many of my trips on my own but recently I've started to get busier in my day to day so I have less planning time and my agent has done the leg work for me. A lot of agents will also assist with dining reservations and FastPasses. ( if you go the way of the agent, make sure this is something they will help with - not all do )

I wouldn't dream of booking our cruise without a travel agent. I connected with Tracey Heinrichs after watching her on a video here. She knew her stuff and was very clear in her communication and seemed very savvy. She is. When booking opens, SHE'S the one on the phone for hours making things happen. She hooks us up with everything we need. Fans for life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter