Used your points other then Disney?

Skyw

DIS Veteran
Has anyone used their points for other destinations? Was it worth it?

In 10 years of DVC ownership, we have only traded out once, and that was to Hawaii. It was worth it, but definitely not the easiest thing to do. It's just so much more convenient to call MS and make a ressie. Trading out takes time, patience and flexibility.

We have traded out for the concierge collection. I know economically it isn't the smartest use of points, but it was easy and we stayed at a couple very nice hotels. Felt good not having to settle a bill at the end of the stay as it was "paid" with the points!

If you are asking with the intention to buy....there are cheaper and better "traders" out there in the timeshare world. Disney makes good sense if you are going to PRIMARILY use your points at DVC resorts. If that is your situation, I'd be looking at using DVC points at DVC resorts at least every other - maybe every third year. Then paying cash or buying a cheaper better trader for the non-Disney years.

If you have a bunch of points already, are looking to do something "different" for a trip - they are your points and there are lots of great options that a lot of people have really enjoyed.

Traded to Maui, Hawaii.

Also used points for Disney Cruise, Disneyland's Grand Californian and a night in the Whitehall in Chicago.

For me it was worth it (except for the Chicago night), because I wouldn't have been able to go otherwise.

We have used points for the Member cruise, Disney Land hotel and Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica.

I've used points for Hawaii and Grand Cayman (see signature). Very much worth it in both cases, IMHO.

I'm sure many of the options are "worth it" from a travel enjoyment standpoint. But almost all options other than using points at DVC can be had cheaper other ways than using DVC points to do so. Anyone buying in would be far better off just getting the points they'd use at DVC and looking elsewhere for those other options, possibly a non DVC timeshare for Interval exchanges.

Weve used them several times outside DVC, reservations were smooth and resorts outstanding. Maui, Charleston, Dl Hotel. DVC is best if used for DVC but an occasional trade out is nice.:thumbsup2

We have used the concierge collection twice. Once to the Grove Park Inn in Ashville, NC and the other to the Tanque Verde Ranch in Tucson, AZ. We consider the Tanque Verde trip one of our top 5 trips ever. It is an all inclusive resort and we felt it was very much worth the points.

Has anyone used their points for other destinations? Was it worth it?
Used them in a couple of different concierge hotels. London, NYC and Washington DC. Had great vacations each and every time.

We currently have a ski week for late February on points. It will be our first time using our DVC points somewhere other then the regular DVC resorts.

Everyone is so excited about skiing in Utah so I think it will definitely be worth it. We got a studio so we still have enough points for a 4 night trip to WDW if we want but we have a couple Disney cruises booked so we are planning to bank the points and skip WDW next year.

Of course one of the cruises leaves from LA so we are going to spend a couple days at Disneyland before the cruise.

We have used points to stay at the Grand Wailea (Concierge Collection). We are also going to the Playa Linda Resort in Aruba in a couple of weeks. We traded through II for this one.:banana:

We stayed 3 nights at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. We used 29 points, and bought a weekend night for $81.00.

It was well worth it to us.

I know HHI is part of Disney, but it's not AT Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter