URGENT!! NO Hand baggage allowed today

magicmouse2 said:
This is unbelievable !!!! :sad2:

So now because of these terrorists all our personal items that we need on board are on view to everyone, feminine hygiene products, medication. WE MAY AS ALL FLY NAKED! :blush:

I am all for stepping up safety and am fine with leaving the kids nintendos, I could even cope with thoser body scanners that x ray you, but I dont like having to parade my personal items on board in a clear bag for all to see. I would have no gripes about airport security checking my bag first though.

Don't worry, we're all human. Sanitary items and other personal items are all on display in the supermarkets and we don't hide when we buy them. So why worry about having them in a clear bag for all to see, it's no big deal. We will all have the same sorts of things in our clear plastic bags. I don't know what could possibly be that embarrassing.

SEVANS2208 said:
We're due to fly out on saturday but are doing twilight check in tomorrow (assuming it's still available?). This means we would normally have pj's and a clean t-shirt in our hand luggage but I guess we won't be able to do this now.

Does anyone know whether Virgin will still be giving out the kids packs? I completely understand the reasons for this change but nontheless it is a hassle, especially when you have a restless 6 year old with nothing to read or play with!

I would not be suprise to hear that Twilight Check In will be suspended, I know that when we flew out not long after Sept 11th it was not in operation.

Obi,

Is that them trying to clear the problems airside by cutting off the flow into check in?

magicmouse2 said:
This is unbelievable !!!! :sad2:

So now because of these terrorists all our personal items that we need on board are on view to everyone, feminine hygiene products, medication. WE MAY AS ALL FLY NAKED! :blush:

I am all for stepping up safety and am fine with leaving the kids nintendos, I could even cope with thoser body scanners that x ray you, but I dont like having to parade my personal items on board in a clear bag for all to see. I would have no gripes about airport security checking my bag first though.

Do you think we have not seen tampons before? is your personal sensibility and perceived embarrasment more important than making sure the other passengers are safe from terrorists who yes, can use applicators as hidden fuses, and tampons impregnated with explosives?
Are there not tampons available on board the aircraft???
As a male, I dont care if you bring a plastic bag brimming with tampons on board, so long as the flight is safe.

Obi Wan Kenobi said:
Do you think we have not seen tampons before? is your personal sensibility and perceived embarrasment more important than making sure the other passengers are safe from terrorists who yes, can use applicators as hidden fuses, and tampons impregnated with explosives?
As a male, I dont care if you bring a plastic bag brimming with tampons on board, so long as the flight is safe.

You say it all so much better than I do!

clairelly said:
My Mum is travelling with us for the first time ever and she has been nervous since day 1 thinking that something like this would happen. I just rang her and she doesn't want to go, but I reckon now is the safest time to fly more than ever. I know the kids will whinge about the new security checks taking forever, but at least we will get there safely.

Hi my sister is stuck at Gatwick as we speak for her 11.15 flight to Orlando. She just phoned and said not even sure if she will fly today. She is stuck up there with her hubby and 3 girls 9,6 and 3!!! I said the same though, as scary as it is, today is probaly the most safest day to fly as secuirty will be soooo tight.
I wish all of you going in the next few weeks safe and happy trips. :)

I am hearing on CNN that here in the US passengers are being given Ziploc baggies for carry on. There was also a bit about if one needs to travel with food it must be checked & tasted by the passenger wishing to bring it aboard. Glasses & sunglasses w/o cases, passports, tissues, other sanitary items w/o boxes, passports or other travel papers, all liquids must be 'verified'.
There seems to be a lot of concern regarding liquids.

Not to be too upsetting, but here on CNN--& I am listening to the TV now--that Britain is under a 'critical threat level' warning. Just heard the threat level has gone up a level here in the US, too

Here's hoping they've arrested all those conspiring.

DNiece24 is flying to Washington, DC this Sunday. She is studying international law & is just back from Rwanda. I am just as afraid for her now as I was when she was working in Rwanda. She would never not fly out.
Yes, as others have said it will be the safest to fly out over the next few weeks

Here in the US, the gov't began relaxing the bring aboard regs last year. Personally, I don't want anyone bringing blades or scissors on--yes, it's a
drag to have to buy these items at the destination, but to be a little bit safer seems so sensible & fine with me!

Hugs to all waiting in the airports, especially with little ones.

Jean

Bellis Belle said:
Hi my sister is stuck at Gatwick as we speak for her 11.15 flight to Orlando. She just phoned and said not even sure if she will fly today. She is stuck up there with her hubby and 3 girls 9,6 and 3!!! I said the same though, as scary as it is, today is probaly the most safest day to fly as secuirty will be soooo tight.
I wish all of you going in the next few weeks safe and happy trips. :)

I hope they are all ok but they may not fly today.

My husband is an extremely nervous flyer who would probably cancel because of this but I agree that all the extra security checks can only mean a safer flight.

I would rather there was no hand luggage at all - so much can be hidden in those bags. There is no equipment available to screen liquids for explosive chemicals which worries me. I'm quite happy to put what I need in a clear bag, even tampons or sanitary protection - all us girls have to use it at some time or another (unfortunately).

I just hope they got all the suspects and I'm sure the security services will be all over this. Will Mr Blair be coming back from his holiday I wonder or at least addressing the country??

Quote: "Not to be too upsetting, but here on CNN--& I am listening to the TV now--that Britain is under a 'critical threat level' warning. Just heard the threat level has gone up a level here in the US"

The threat level always goes up for any major incident - I believe it is standard protocol.

I totally understand the need for stepping up security.. and of course want to protect my family, but I think its crazy to expect us to travel like this.

By not taking my sons teddy that he goes everywhere with.. how is that going to make our flight safer?

In fact if no one can take anything on board, you will have a whole load of bored passengers much more likely to get drunk and cause trouble.

Dont get me wrong, I want my family to be safe, but these measures will not guarantee safety.

We fly on Wednesday and right now I feel like cancelling. If its THAT dangerous to fly that you cant even take a book on, Id rather not take the risk.

As we now can't take liquids on board do you think the airlines will supply more water as we all know how crucial to drink plenty of fluids while on board is essential. We are leaving next weekend.

SammieG said:
By not taking my sons teddy that he goes everywhere with.. how is that going to make our flight safer?

If everyone thought like this, then what would stop a terrorist take a teddy on board that may contain explosives? Think about it. All our saftey is more important than luxury items and yes I do have children and I know that this will cause upset for little ones but thats life

SammieG said:
By not taking my sons teddy that he goes everywhere with.. how is that going to make our flight safer? QUOTE]

My daughter is like this but unfortunately some of these sick people wouldn't think twice about using a toy as a decoy - these are not normal human beings we're dealing with here.

I hope you're ok on Wednesday.

Obi Wan Kenobi said:

I dont want everyone on the plane to know when I have got my period. And no - you dont get free tampons on board the plane. I would imagine if they did put them in the loos people would nick them (or stuff them with explosives, as you imply) What I begrudge is the total lack of privacy that this world is coming to due to terrorism.

I dont appreciate your tone. Would you be happy if you had some nasty rash in a very personal place and you had to carry your 'ointment' that was clearly labelled into the loos with you in a clear plastic bag ? (BTW I dont have any nasty rashes or anything - just trying to give an example of how we are losing our privacy).
The next thing is we will all be microchipped like dogs.

I am 100% for increasing our security on planes, I have 3 kids, and have flown many times and I have been frisked and shoe searched, cases fully searched in front of me, and scanned enough times to tolerate high security. People still have the right to preserve some privacy. Give me an untransparent plastic bag that ties at the top for my medication and toiletries and I wil be happier.

I can see it now. CCTV in the on board loos. :surfweb:

Disney D said:
I'm scared ! and I don't feel excited about my holiday now ! :sad2:
Please please do not be scared, that is what these scumbags want. Just laugh at them as i know that they wont ruin our upcoming trip to wdw. It will take more than a few losers that have no other aim in life than creating fear in families and other holiday makers, to ruin my trip. :banana: :banana: :banana:

SammieG said:
I totally understand the need for stepping up security.. and of course want to protect my family, but I think its crazy to expect us to travel like this.

In fact if no one can take anything on board, you will have a whole load of bored passengers much more likely to get drunk and cause trouble.

Dont get me wrong, I want my family to be safe, but these measures will not guarantee safety.

We fly on Wednesday and right now I feel like cancelling. If its THAT dangerous to fly that you cant even take a book on, Id rather not take the risk.

Teddy: can be used to conceal items

Bored: There is plenty of in-flight entertainment. Where are the passengers going to get drunk? If they were already drunk before boarding they would be refused boarding; if they were already on board then the cabin crew would limit alcohol. If the only way for people to relieve boredom is by getting drunk then they must be very sad.

Nothing can be guaranteed; it's all about minimising risks.

Be Smart. Be Safe.

pauldolling said:
If everyone thought like this, then what would stop a terrorist take a teddy on board that may contain explosives? Think about it. All our saftey is more important than luxury items and yes I do have children and I know that this will cause upset for little ones but thats life

If you can stuff a teddy with explosives and get it on a plane surely you can stuff other things - like Bras for example ? I am no explosive expert and I dont even think I want to know in what manner of body parts or nclothing explosives can be sneaked onto a plane.

Will trainers be banned in case the Nike air bubble has been filled with some sort of explosive liquid ?

This is a very useful thread given the current situation today. Can I please ask everybody to keep it nice and friendly and not to start having personal 1 to 1 arguments.

If anyone has a problem with something someone else has posted, on this thread or an other for that matter, please report it to the moderating team by using the little warning triangle at the bottom right hand corner of the post in question rather than inflaming the situation further by replying.

Thanks you all for your co-operation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter