Updated Crowd Predictions

We were there July 13-21, thought the crowds were very manageable. Did almost everything we wanted, didn't get FOP but gives us a good excuse to go back. Hot and humid yes, but not unbearable, heat index about what it is at home. Early in the day is your friend, seems a lot of people don't get going until 10-11am.

We usually go in January/February, but decided to book a last minute trip this past week. It was our first summer vacation at WDW and I was pleasantly surprised. I was really nervous about the weather, and it was ridiculously hot at times, but the crowds were manageable. When we go in the winter, we always avoid dates where there are long weekends or big events, but it was still very busy this year. We are headed back in February, but are planning on switching future trips to the summer.

We usually go in January/February, but decided to book a last minute trip this past week. It was our first summer vacation at WDW and I was pleasantly surprised. I was really nervous about the weather, and it was ridiculously hot at times, but the crowds were manageable. When we go in the winter, we always avoid dates where there are long weekends or big events, but it was still very busy this year. We are headed back in February, but are planning on switching future trips to the summer.
I was there 1/28-2/05 this year and it was SO busy. I'm not sure if it was a fluke or what, but it has scared me away from ever planning a trip that time of year again. I agree, summer
(although hot) has really manageable crowds. We just went last month for the first time in the summer and I was quite surprised too.

On years when your March break does not overlap with Easter - you might find that it’s more Managable!!

If you look at the 2019 spring break distribution with the really late easter its not as much a peak time as it is in other years..

We will always take cooler weather over everything else, including dealing with larger crowds. Standing in line 20 minutes in cool weather provides a more enjoyable experience than standing line for only 10 minutes if you're in a sauna. We can make daily plans around the crowds more easily than we can make daily plans around the weather.

is marathon weekend that bad?

No. The last few years have been crowded, particularly last year, due to the race's proximity to the New Year. Simply put, there hasn't been enough time between the holiday rush and race weekend for one crowd to leave before the other comes in. What many may find is that transportation is impacted far more than attendance due to race closures on some roadways and paths.

Typically, while the runners may take up a larger than normal portion of on-property rooms, they aren't going park commando after one, two, three, and sometimes four races in four days. The runners are usually up by 3:30am to catch buses to the race, then running between 3 and 26 miles, and thus not usually crowding the parks all day and night.

Last edited:
I am also a bit stuck between marathon and MLK. I have most of January off work and want to go for a full week in 2020. However, MLK is early that year. I was thinking arriving Jan 11th (Sat) and leaving the following Sunday (Jan 19th) and MLK is the 20th. I could go the week before but that might be even worse. I could wait until 2021 when there will be more breathing room between these events but that's a pretty long wait...not sure what to do (obviously I have some time to decide)

MLK weekend has been bad...gone two of the past three years and it was very busy!

Also something to think about....if you go in January you are more likely to deal with the flu....we’ve been four times in the past five years in January and had at least one person puking three of the four years.....

Our favourite time is Spring break (first week of March for us) or late July/early August in that order. I refuse to take the kids out of school for more tha 2 days. Next trip will probably be for New Year to see the Holiday decorations.

I am a teacher so I am restricted when it comes to dates. Was here during Spring Break this year (mid-March). It was too crowded and cold for this canadian! Wait times were way up. I am here now... If you can brave the heat, the crowds are low... especially after afternoon storms where we can almost walk onto most rides (10min TSM and 15 Aliens yesterday!) This is our second time in late August and it will not be the last!

Really enjoyed visiting the first week of December - its a great time when holiday decorations are up but don't have the massive crowds yet

We just returned on Sunday and the crowds were definitely manageable. Certain areas (Pandora and TSL) were more crowded, but overall was easy to get around. Made easier too with able to book additional FP plus the Mobile Ordering we were easily able to do everything we wanted to do and often multiple times. Rode TSM 4 times one day!

I was there 1/28-2/05 this year and it was SO busy. I'm not sure if it was a fluke or what, but it has scared me away from ever planning a trip that time of year again. I agree, summer
(although hot) has really manageable crowds. We just went last month for the first time in the summer and I was quite surprised too.
We were there the same time and are not planning to go back again during this time. We went pretty much the same time in 2017 and it was busy but not like Jan/Feg this year. Headed back in a week and hoping for lower crowds.

We were there the same time and are not planning to go back again during this time. We went pretty much the same time in 2017 and it was busy but not like Jan/Feg this year. Headed back in a week and hoping for lower crowds.
Those January/February crowds were nuts, weren't they?? We arrive Saturday for a short trip and I'm optimistic. I was there Labor Day week last year and it was really nice crowd-wise. Hopefully, it'll be similar. Have a great trip!

Those January/February crowds were nuts, weren't they?? We arrive Saturday for a short trip and I'm optimistic. I was there Labor Day week last year and it was really nice crowd-wise. Hopefully, it'll be similar. Have a great trip!
Have a great time and hopefully the crowds will be low. Keep us posted!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter