Update on Disney Magic - Sailed 6/5 - 6/10

I noticed on our last Fantasy cruise that there was a lot of varnishing going on around the ship and we had to change our plans (moving 50 yards or switching sides of the ship) to avoid it— obviously harder for people to do if they are trying to exercise. I think it is more frequent than on other cruise lines we’ve sailed, but it could be because of Disney’s higher standards maintenance.

May I ask how you managed to snag a cabana in an oceanview room? Was it at your elite booking window or by checking back online or on board, etc.?

Was on the same sailing as OP with my family and can confirm the observations. The Magic is in great shape for a 25 year old ship. Yes, you will find blemishes if you’re looking for them. My only complaint was the AC in our stateroom never quite seemed to be cold enough (we were deck 6 forward with a verandah) but we’ve also felt the same way on our previous sailings on the Dream/Fantasy. My wife and I generally sleep with the AC set to 67 and still get hot in our sleep 😅

We sailed from Miami in March and Ubered each way to the port.
We were picked up from the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon, just south of MIA, close enought to be considered an "airport hotel". It was $20.97 including 2 tolls and a booking fee. Does not include tip.

Trip fare $14.53
Subtotal $14.53
Dolphin Expressway SR836 - 17th Ave. Eastbound $0.66
Dolphin Expressway SR836 - 57th Ave. Eastbound $0.28
Booking Fee $5.50
Payment $20.97

For our return to MIA from the port, it was $23.91, not including tip.

Trip fare $15.58
Subtotal $15.58
Dolphin Expressway SR836 - 17th Ave. Eastbound $0.66
Booking Fee $5.67
Port of Miami Surcharge $2.00
Payment $23.91

It was only me and dh so we didn't need the XL which greatly increases the cost.

I prefer Uber vs. taxi because Uber drivers care more about your positive reviews. Taxi drivers don't give a crap if you're happy or not so they drive like lunatics which really stresses me out. :scared::scared1:

OP, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I appreciate it! :goodvibes:hug:

I prefer Uber vs. taxi because Uber drivers care more about your positive reviews. Taxi drivers don't give a crap if you're happy or not so they drive like lunatics which really stresses me out.
Thanks for sharing about that economical way to get to and from the port! And thanks for your good wishes- it was a relaxing cruise.

In fairness to taxi drivers, I will say that both of my drivers were safe and helpful, and that out of several taxi rides in Orlando and Miami I've never had an unsafe experience in a taxi.

Thanks for sharing about that economical way to get to and from the port! And thanks for your good wishes- it was a relaxing cruise.

In fairness to taxi drivers, I will say that both of my drivers were safe and helpful, and that out of several taxi rides in Orlando and Miami I've never had an unsafe experience in a taxi.
I've had only 2 stressful taxi rides, in Rome and in Las Vegas. The more recent one was in Vegas and Uber was availabe so we tried it and loved it. We haven't used a taxi since.
Most people wouldn't flinch in a taxi but I'm a bit extra sensitve after working the first 9 years of my career in a trauma center. I'm extra appreciative of a driver who isn't frequently changing lanes & tailgating.

Even riding with dh, I'm closing my eyes half the time and he is a calm driver.

ETA: Uber pricing is based on demand so it's not always the same price. I did mock reservations in advance, for our WBPC cruise in March 2022, sailing from New Orleans. It was always showing around $75-80 to our hotel from the airport. The night we arrived, which was a late evening arrival, there were several flights that were delayed and even at 11pm, the airport was really very full of people, traffic, etc. With it being a long cruise, we had a lot of luggage and needed the large vehicle. Our XL Uber that night was around $130 + tip. Just something to keep in mind. You can schedule a pick up in advance but you'll pay a lot more.

Last edited:
Thank you for an honest, updated report! We are sailing the Magic next month on a 5 night and cannot wait. Do you happen to have/remember if there was an optional dress up/formal night? I can't remember for 5 night sailings if they usually have one. Also, did you happen to notice how the selection of 25th merchandise was decently stocked? Thanks again!

Am I the only one who finds it odd that DCL’s 25th anniversary is only being celebrated for summer cruises, May-September, but WDW’s 50th anniversary celebration lasted 18 months, longer than a full year?
You're not the only one - I thought that was odd too. We don't sail again until Sept 2024 so I knew I was going to miss it, but I thought it would last a least until the end of this year.

Thank you for an honest, updated report! We are sailing the Magic next month on a 5 night and cannot wait. Do you happen to have/remember if there was an optional dress up/formal night? I can't remember for 5 night sailings if they usually have one. Also, did you happen to notice how the selection of 25th merchandise was decently stocked? Thanks again!
Optional dress up was on the 2nd night (Castaway Cay day for this sailing).

Thanks for the report. It sounds good!

I have yet to see what the 25th print is. Can you share a photo?

***Edited, sorry, never mind. I just saw it above. ;)

I ordered a car service for 6 people in Miami, while it didn't go as smooth as I hoped, I paid way less per person than a taxi. Makes me feel a little better with the splurge. I'll add that traffic in Miami was a nightmare and all the construction around the port just adds to the chaos.
Would you be able to tell me what car service? I have a cruise booked for August. Thank You

Thanks for the review. We have yet to sail on the older ships, so I appreciate the details in your review.

Would you be able to tell me what car service? I have a cruise booked for August. Thank You
Not sure if I"d actually recommend them. It was a very frustrating experience that turned out all right in the end.

You can read about my experience here.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter