Update on 2002 points

kem330

<font color=red>Thinks the TF is an Illinois thing
Posting a new thread because I didn't want this info to get lost in the pile! Earlier this week I called to check DC points for Jan 1 and 2 at the Y/BC . I was told SV was 60 points, I said for one night!! and MS said yes. I was quite upset and along with a few others who had been told about point increases participated in a lengthy thread. I called back today to double check availability at all DVC resorts (I'm waitlisted at BWV). I got in discussion with CM about how crazy it must be with the point increase. She checked the chart and said the points for Jan1 -Feb 13 (SUN-THURS) are 30 points/night. Evidently there was a mix up when I called, I asked for points /night , she gave me points for 2 nights. I feel quite foolish about all the hooplah. While I am not happy about a 37 % increase, it sure is a lot better than a 200% increase! So I want to be sure to correct my error in reporting and apologize for all the ranting. I suppose you could make a case for ranting at this increase, but I am so relieved it wasn't 200% that I don't even care anymore! FYI: points for 2001: Jan 1-31: 22/night, Feb1-15, 30/night. Points for Jan1- Feb13, 2002 per MS today (I hope this CM was correct!) SV: 30, WV: 35, Concierge LV: 48 for Y/BC per night Sun - Thurs.
Thanks for all the encouragement and advice!!! karen

Kem330: thanks for the update!!! I just read your other posts and I was like...wow!!! Talk about an increase...at least this one isn't as bad. ;)

I can't believe the increase!!! we used points for the gF three times, and are using htem for part of our stay at the YC in nov.

are you serious, that now you can book sv, wv, or concierge with dvc points????? it used to be just book it, and make a request, and no concierge!!!

thanks!

Laura :)

>>FYI: points for 2001: Jan 1-31: 22/night, Feb1-15, 30/night. Points for Jan1- Feb13, 2002 per MS today (I hope this CM was correct!) SV: 30, WV: 35, Concierge LV: 48 for Y/BC per night Sun - Thurs.<<
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I may be seeing a pattern here. It looks like the 22 points per night in Jan. 2001 is the same point value for a 1 bedroom preferred view at BWV. The 30 points per night in Jan. 2002 is the same point value for a 2 bedroom preferred view at BWV.

Maybe the increase between 2001 and 2002 is actually going from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom.

Dumbo

Kem330 thanks for keeping up posted. I'm going to wait to actually see the charts to determine what's happening. Of course, now a 37% increase doesn't seem so bad compared to the earlier reports. You sure you weren't a plant from MS? ;)

I feel sorry for some of you. 37% inflation is not bad. It makes me sad to hear such comments. 37% is acceptable inflation in Brazil or other countries but not the USA or Disney.

I am outraged. 5% ok. 10% barely ok. 20% negative. Anything higher is horrible.

Know wonder you can't reach MS unless you want to be on hold half the day. These poor people just got robbed of their points and are calling to report it to the robbers !!!!

SgtPet -- My comment was a failed attempt at humor. I'm waiting to see what is really happening. I just said after the shock of 200%, 37% doesn't seem bad in comparison....as a joke. 37% is questionable but I need to see the whole picture before passing further judgements.

DC is a very small component of DVC. I'm concerned about what might be going on but it's not a deal breaker.

Overall, DVC has been a wonderful success for Disney and for DVC members. OKW today looks and feels the way it did the day it opened (except there are more units) 10 years ago. The yearly dues which I hoped wouldn't increase more than 5-6% per year have not come anywhere close to that. Overall, the program is running smoothly and includes more DVC resort options at WDW than I ever expected. I look forward to the new EVP & BCV resorts, thoroughly enjoy Vero and look forward to one day visiting HHI.

Pam LOL, I wish I was a plant- then maybe I'd have a better chance of my wait list clearing!!! It is amazing how much better 37% seems after my first scare. I mean at least I can still afford to use DC if I need to. Question is how long to wait before I lose out on that option. Of course with those prices, the only competition I'll have is with cash ressies!! I hope the announcements Doc mentionned will somehow balance this disproportionate increase. It will be of no benefit to me if points are lowered at times I can not attend. January has historically been low season for Disney Resorts as well as DVC charts. You think they might have notified us if they had such a change in mind.

Quote; "DC is a very small component of DVC. I'm concerned about what might be going on but it's not a deal breaker."

In fact it is NOT. DC for many members like myself view the DC as not only as a safety net in case their home resort is booked, but also as a break from the bordem that can result during 40 years of staying in one place. For many of us with children, we are forced to vacation when the schools are out. Amazingly these usually fall during "magic season". When one looks at the charts it is not surprising that "magic season" is second only to "premier season" in the expense of points. (the busiest times for those who don't understand the point schedule). For many of us forced in to these seasons DC is kind of a "safety net" of sorts that always provided us with a degree of assurance that should our home resort be booked solid, we could still vacation at a resort that we deemed attractive, and/or new, and exciting.

In fact, for many of us, DC represents a "Deal Maker" not a deal breaker. We bought with a degree of assurance that a safety net exisited for us. This was backed up with brouchoures and videos prior to purchase that carried buss words like "flexibility", and phrases like "choices, in time and local". With photos riddliling the pamphlets of not only DVC, but also NON-DVC resorts being enjoyed buy young beautiful and happy people.

DC may have been small for PAMOKW, but it wasn't small for me, in fact to quote her "it makes me feel like the Black Sheep of the family" when they change this program.

DVCDave -- I've always had in the back of my mind that the DC option could end. Every year I would hold my breath waiting to see if it had been renewed. I'm hoping that it hasn't been too drastically changed....waiting for all the facts to come in.

What I don't like is the way major changes were sprung on people. I'm at least glad to hear they are letting people reclaim their points to use for DVC. We've hit a speed bump and need to see what comes next.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter