Universal vs Disney

janabanana

Earning My Ears
We just got back from a perfect 8 day trip. Thanks to this board, we got $70 per nightt at the brand new Country Inn and Suites. Very nice place - friendly people and everything was new. If you aren't crazy about country, don't worry. It wasn't themed that way, just nice and homey. Then 3 nts at AKL - again thanks to this forum.... absolutely wonderful place! Pricey but worth it. As a finale we went to the Hard Rock Hotel for a couple of nights. Unbelievable place! I didn't even feel out of place being an overweight middle aged mom. The Express (room key) passes made us feel very special, and we did the parks without waits at all! The weather was fantastic, the crowds - non existant, yet the parks sparkled with others like us. I would never spend money going when it is hot, humid and packed. It was high 70's no humidity, and the pools were fine!

One note though.... The Universal Studios and IOA parks were cleaner than Disney's! And the CMs seemed much more happy to be there. Don't think that Disney type magic doesn't exist at those other parks... and the rides are better!!!

I wouldn't ever travel from as far away as Seattle and not do both. Wonderful Wonderful time. If you are afraid to travel in these times, you are missing out!

Finally... Got a room at the Hyatt Orlando Airport (at the airport) for $83 per night for our last night. With an early morning flight the next day, that route is the way to go.

Thanks to All our Hosts..... and to this board for an unforgetable trip. :bounce: :pinkbounc

:bounce:Welcome back, Jana!:bounce:

And THANK YOU for the wonderful review of the Hard Rock and USF. As you can tell by my signature, I'm a little biased... ;)

Sounds like you had an awesome time!

Sounds like everything worked out pefectly for you. We love the HR and AKL, too. Where exactly is the Country Inn and Suites that you stayed at. Is this is Calopsyo Bay one. Drive time to Disney? Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the report been trying to decided if it is worth it to do USF and IOA or just do disney. I am NOT a ride person so I wanst sure if it is worth it!

Yes, it was the Calipso Cay Country Inn and Suites. When I made my reservations, I called the wrong one first. So make sure when you call, that the hotel is only a couple of months old. Seriously, with all our different hotels, that one gave me the best sleep. It was a king suite. To BBMom - the drive to Disney was a couple of miles at the most.

To Rae, my kids are 9 and 12, and me being a single mom, and not a rideaholic, I took my motion sickness pills and rode-um-all. I suggest you do too! IOA has a lot of thrill rides, but if you are traveling with children that can meet the height requirements, it would be a shame to miss that park....

I asked the lifeguard at the AKL if we could pool hop, and he told me that this time of year we can, except for the Stormaway Bay pool. So we went to the Polynesian - requested towels and got reprimanded for coming, but they gave us permission (and towels) anyway! A Delightful Day that was!!!!!

jana,
we are going to be staying at calypso cay country inn and suites the first week of december for 7 nights. i am wondering how the king suite was. is the king bed in a separate room from the other parts of the suite? we are hoping that we can put our 1 year old to bed early and relax in a different area of the suite. will this be possible? also how was the construction around this hotel. was it noticeable? we did request a pool view and we were told most of the king suites were pool views.
i am also wondering if you ate breakfast at the hotel? what kind of food selection did they have?
we also stayed at the hardrock last june and absolutely loved it, so much so that we are going to be staying there again in december for 3 nights. it is the best hotel ever!!!!! and you just cant beat fotl access at the parks either.
glad you had a great trip..............although it would be hard for me to leave seattle if i lived there....it's my second favorite place to visit after orlando....

debbie

Thanks Jana

we are going wihtout our kids (they are just turned 5 and 2) We'd like to wait till they older for our family vacation. Thsi trip is the honeymoon we never had! I think we will do the other parks thanks again for the advice! Hubby si a ride freak! I dont think there is enough bonine int he world to get me on most of the rides lOL!

Debbie, the King Suite was a two room, two TV combo. Should suit you fine. The pool area has only one pool finished. When it is completely done the area will look like paradise. The Amerisuites across the pool area from the Inn has a much larger pool that we could use. But we didn't use the pools much on that leg of the trip because we were concentrating on the parks - knowing our pool experiences at the other resorts would be better.

What I really loved about the Inn was that it was so nice and new. I hate the feeling of sleeping in a bed where thousands before me have been. The breakfast was just fine. They had lots of cold options, hard boiled eggs, biscuits and gravy, french toast and waffles. Juices/ice cold milk, fresh fruits etc... The workers there were very friendly. And again, everything was brand spanking new.

As for construction, we didn't experience any of it, but of course did see that much was in progress. If you are mainly using the hotel for sleeping and breakfast, you can't go wrong here for $70 per night.

Have a great trip! - Jana

Jana, sounds like you have a wonderful trip!

I have a question about Universal for you. I'm helping a friend plan a vacation for her and her two children, DS8 and DD6, for May, 2002. She only has 6 days and knows she'd like to do MK and Sea World. She asked me about Universal, but I've never been there myself. Should I suggest that she do Universal now or wait until her children are a little older?

Thanks!
Beth

Beth:

My son has been going to the Universal parks since he was 6 and he's 8 now and considers them his "favorite" parks. He was not tall enough for the "big" roller coasters until this past May but still loved the parks!

The IOA park has fantastic themeing and water used in more ways than even Ground Force could imagine!!

Beth... My kids were 2 1/2 and 11 on our trip. We enjoyed US/IOA so much we are returnign again in a couple of weeks. The 8 yr old should be able to ride everything (except maybe DD and Hulk, I forget the height restriction but it is close to what an 8 or 9 yr old should be). The 6 yr old would be able to do everthing except DD and Hulk. Most people reccomend US for younger kids but my DD enjoyed IOA more (except she loved ET at US). The theming at IOS is so wonderful done. Seusslanding is great for the youger kids and adults who loved the books, older kids usually think it is corny.

Janabanana,

Wondering where you found the $83.00 rate for the Hyatt in the airport?

Thanks
MickeyMagic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter