Uhm....Bahamas is now requiring vaccinations for all passengers over 12..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think DCL can cuss out Bahamian officials all they want, but The Bahamas really hold the cards here. While the leasehold on CC is a long one, and none of this is contract termination territory, DCL has both CC as a key destination, and Lighthouse Point is well underway. DCL could potentially back out of the latter, but not really the former.
Oh, I know and I completely understand that Bahamian officials are well within their rights to add or change requirements at any time. I was just trying to add some levity during a stressful time. We are on the 9/6 sailing. We are fully vaccinated and actually more than a little relieved that all passengers 12 or older will have to be vaccinated. But this wrinkle so close to sailing without any statement from DCL is frustrating at best.

Typically, how many kids are on a cruise during peak hurricane season in the first two months of school?
I don't know statistics, but we do the early Sept. Labor Day weekend cruise every year, PLENTY of kids onboard. But that is a holiday weekend. I would guess after that it drops, but I have no data to offer you on that.

I have a hard time believing this decision ”just happened from out of the blue.” Wouldn’t a business like Disney have a representative keeping up with the way the wind is blowing in Bahamian government?

I don't know statistics, but we do the early Sept. Labor Day weekend cruise every year, PLENTY of kids onboard. But that is a holiday weekend. I would guess after that it drops, but I have no data to offer you on that.

It’s usually a great time to get lower rates. And take your preschool kids in normal years.

It’s usually a great time to get lower rates. And take your preschool kids in normal years.
We used to do later in October but as the kids got older, became harder to pull them out of school. Labor Day is great because we can miss only one day.

I'd also think, honestly, that if a few lines could procure vaccine and store it, deploy a ship to the Bahamas, and hold vax clinics for the islands, it would go super-far in terms of helping open up the Bahamas. Not sure what the status of allowing private companies to procure dosages is, but they could fund the Bahamian government acquisition.

Heck, I’ve been bringing my granddaughters on august/September cruises for years. The cruise I’m on, august 30, I tried to get them to come, but it’s the second week of school. So they passed this year. But they will miss a week in November and cruising with us in February. They are 14 & 16 fully vaxed, but waiting for their renewed passports to arrive, which could take months.

I was thinking this would be the year for low kid attendance in September. Reports were that people didn’t want to take them out of class after finally getting them back in.

I totally get the homeschoolers. My four nieces were, back when it was oddball.

And, yep, first week of October is vacation in my area. They would be two months into the school year already. I believe Jersey Week is about that time.

So we’re saying you can’t avoid children on cruises anymore? :)

In my childhood, it was like committing a felony to take kids out. They were so fixated on getting federal funds based on school attendance. And few went to private schools. Homeschooling? Never heard of it.

Typically, how many kids are on a cruise during peak hurricane season in the first two months of school?
On Disney there are always kids. There were even quite a few kids on Royal the first week of February.

I live in an area where school doesn't start until after Labor Day. So we always vacation the last week in August or first week in September. This year some districts in my area don't start until 9/9 because of Rosh Hashanah.

On Disney there are always kids. There were even quite a few kids on Royal the first week of February.

I have memories of Transatlantic and Panama Canal sailings with practically no kids. Early 2010s. 100 kids. But those were the days when the long cruises had to sell GTY cabins to get people onboard. Or our $400 3-night first cruise (total for 3 people). Almost like begging people to sail Disney.

It skews my perceptions.

I hope they will have some leeway around that. If someone is not technically eligible to be fully vaccinated hopefully there will be some buffer. Fingers crossed for those this will affect ….

Other cruise lines usually give the option to change dates (or cancel and refund) without fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter