Uggghhhh! Broken Toe...19 days to trip...suggestions needed!!

ame6405

Earning My Ears
I broke my toe 2 weeks ago. I thought I had plenty of time to get it at least a bit healed before our trip, but I keep making stupid choices at the gym and now I find myself 19 days from our week long Halloween excursion to WDW, including MNSSHP on Halloween, and my toe is more painful than when I first broke it. I am going to see my PCP, but I am also looking for suggestions for a walking boot. I am not looking brands or types of regular of shoes. I am specifically looking for suggestions about those hideous post-op-type shoes with a rigid sole. They gave me a silly little shoe in the ER, but the top is too flimsy to walk around in at Disney. I need something secure and rigid, but many of those boots look like they will cause blisters or will be really hot. Help!! Oh. Also I have 3 kids to chase around the park, so that's a thing...

I have plantar fascitiis (spelling?) . leaving in 26 days to go. tried everything nothing helps. my plan is motrin/tylenol/aleve. that's my plan. i recommend a disabilities card at guest relations so at least you can sit perhaps off the line while waiting for a ride. reseearch that if you're eligible. tape it up. we're doomed ugh. i worry about it every day. but it would be helpful to get that card especially with kids in tow. Maybe a cane?

I actually just bought almost that exact same shoe. I am "lucky" that I have a fairly significant leg length discrepancy and usually where a lift in the running shoe of the toe I broke, so the extra height on the super stylish medical shoe actually evens me out! Maybe it will help with my IT band issues too!

I broke my toe 2 weeks ago. I thought I had plenty of time to get it at least a bit healed before our trip, but I keep making stupid choices at the gym and now I find myself 19 days from our week long Halloween excursion to WDW, including MNSSHP on Halloween, and my toe is more painful than when I first broke it. I am going to see my PCP, but I am also looking for suggestions for a walking boot. I am not looking brands or types of regular of shoes. I am specifically looking for suggestions about those hideous post-op-type shoes with a rigid sole. They gave me a silly little shoe in the ER, but the top is too flimsy to walk around in at Disney. I need something secure and rigid, but many of those boots look like they will cause blisters or will be really hot. Help!! Oh. Also I have 3 kids to chase around the park, so that's a thing...
The same thing happened to me in 2017. 4 days before we were leaving for WDW I broke my 4th toe. The next day I had it X-rayed and 1 complete break and 1 fracture. I buddy taped it to my pinky toe and though sore, I managed. Take Tylenol for the pain but do not take Advil as you need the swelling to cushion the toe. I ordered the velcro buddy braces from Amazon.

I did something to the top of my foot about a year ago and purchased one of those walking boots. I could only take about two days and my job doesn't require a lot of standing/walking. Now granted, I wasn't in the best shape, so factor that in. But carrying the weight of the heavy boot caused more strain in my lower back and opposite leg than the comfort it provided to the injured foot.

Good luck!

I would rent and use a knee scooter, that way you can keep all weight off that foot
I've used a knee scooter two separate times, after two different foot surgeries. The kind that you put your knee on and push with your other foot. I wouldn't recommend it for Disney World. It's okay for short distances, but pushing yourself around all day long for several miles would be exhausting.

I would recommend renting an ECV instead. I've had to use those before (prior to my foot surgeries) and they work great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter