Tyndall Air Force Base...

drivencrazy

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me anything about Tyndall? Very interested in knowing about the place we maybe moving to..... and and all info would help!

Thanks

I have been visiting that web site often lately!! It also got me thinking that I should look our base web site and found some helpful info there as well!

Thanks!!:thumbsup2

We lived there for 3 years when I was a kid...back in the mid 70's. I'm sure it has changed some. :confused3

It is just outside Panama City, FL. A major highway (95?) runs right through the middle of the base; therefore, it is not a closed base. (that was the only open base I had ever lived on).

The base is on the bay...beautiful white sand beaches.

I'm not sure what kind of info you are looking for. Plus, all my info is probably outdated. However, I loved Tyndall. We were stationed there right after we were stationed at Loring AFB, Maine (huge difference in climate :rotfl2: )

It is just outside Panama City, FL. A major highway (95?) runs right through the middle of the base; therefore, it is not a closed base. (that was the only open base I had ever lived on).

The base is on the bay...beautiful white sand beaches.

Actually it is Highway 98 that runs through Tyndall. It is still a somewhat closed base as you do have to show an Id to get on. If you do not have an Id you have to go to the visitors gate to get a pass. Tyndall does not use base stickers anymore.

They do have a pretty nice commissary and fair BX. They do not have a movie theatre anymore, but do have free movies in the Community Activities Center. The Officer's Club is actually a combined club for both enlisted & officers.

On the east side of Hwy 98 is the flight line with some of the tenant units. There is some of the base housing on this side of the highway, but it is not within the base fencing.

On west side of Hwy 98 is the main base, which includes the majority of the base housing at one end of the base. In the housing area is a shoppette, gas station, youth center, golf course and marina.

Near the BX and commissary is the bowling center, fitness center and hobby shop.

We live in Callaway, about 10 minutes from the base. We lived in on-base housing for two years. Prior to that we lived in off-base housing until they decided to close it down.

It does sound pretty nice. Everyone that I talk to says it's a great place to visit...... but they haven't lived there!

How are the schools?

Not sure what we will end up doing, we may just end up staying here... nothing wrong with that, but it's nice to look at all the roads.:thumbsup2

The schools are pretty good. DD went to Cherry Street Elementary and it was a really nice small school. One of the teachers recently retired and I happened to talk to her and mentioned my DD. She remembered her even though it had been years since she was in her class (3rd grade - DD graduated in 05). DD went to Jenks Middle School. Was okay at the time, but the curriculum has changed some and have added some acadamies for specialized curriculum for those that want it. She went to Bay HS and it also has acadamies for specialized curriculum for those that want it in addition to the AICE program - advanced college type classes. They also have some classes that are duel enrolled so get college credit for them.

The community college is pretty good. I have taken some classes there and DD started there. There is also Florida State University campus in town.

My DH came here in 92 and DD & I joined him in 93. He was in the AF and then changed to Air National Guard to give DD a stable school life. He retired in 06 and we stayed here. My parents see that we do like it here and know that we will probably never move back to CA unless we get some major windfall. LOL (too pricey).

We like the small town feel of the area. Know when to keep away from Panama City Beach - Spring Break :crazy2:. But the beaches on the base are nice. The downtown area has Friday Fest on the first friday of each month. Lots of vendors and entertainment and then the stores stay open late. The Civic Center gets some pretty good entertainment. Cirque Dreams is going to be here in March, I think. Bill Cosby was here two years ago. This weekend the Oakridge Boys are doing a benefit at one of the High Schools for a local Children's Advocacy center. Herman's Hermits & the Buckingham's were here in Nov to do a benefit for the Boys & Girls Club. (www.marinaciviccenter.com)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter