Two Germans Dine Deluxe Again ... (FINISHED!)

Before starting, let me say that we did in fact have a few bites to eat here and there at the Food & Wine Festival booths already before this lunch. However, as we hit most of the booths after lunch (can you believe it? ;)), I have decided to write them all up together in the next installment.

Anyway, back to our lunch at Marrakesh. I had very much wanted to eat here already during our last trip, but we ended up having to cancel as I was feeling poorly the day we were supposed to come here. This time, however, I made sure not to miss this place!

P1060224.jpg

Please correct me if I am wrong as I may not be the most knowledgeable on my Disney trivia, but I believe that the Moroccan pavilion (unlike all the other Epcot "countries") was not designed by Disney alone, but the Moroccan royal family had a hand in this (both financing- and planning-wise) and made sure to present their country at its most beautiful.
Knowing this, I was not surprised to find that Marrakesh Restaurant is indeed outstandingly beautifully designed and decorated, and in there it truly feels like you're in the Middle East instead of in a theme park (at least that's what it feels like to someone like me, who may be reasonably well-traveled yet has never been to the Middle East :rolleyes1).

This is the foyer where the restaurant desk is situated:

P1060225.jpg

And this is the restaurant proper:

P1060231.jpg

Can you believe how empty it was? I had read that this is not exactly one of the most popular restaurants at WDW and that advance reservations wouldn't really be necessary, but I would never have thought it to be this empty at lunchtime!

Even the ceiling was really beautiful:

P1060233.jpg

Anyway, back to our food – we were served bread and butter which were not as beautiful as our surroundings (tasted ok, just did not look terribly inspired compared to what we had seen at other restaurants. And I don’t believe this is a special Moroccan way of serving it, either! ;))

P1060232.jpg

As we had spent all our table service credits by this time (can you believe it?), we would be paying out of pocket for this meal.
Therefore (or rather, not mainly because of the costs but because we wanted to leave some room for a little sampling tour of the Food & Wine Festival booths, and also due to our unwillingness to have any more three-course meals for about the rest of our lives :upsidedow), we decided to just split two appetizers (we chose big appetizers to counter this shocking lack of food a little :sad2:).

For drinks, we ordered Moroccan mint tea which was truly wonderful, some water and a light beer each.

These are both our appetizers:

P1060234.jpg

In the back: The Appetizer Combination for Two – Beef Brewat Rolls, Chicken Bastilla and Jasmina Salad.
In front: Goat Cheese with Crispy Bread for Two – a Mixture of Cheese and Kalamata Olives served with Tabouleh, Red Pepper Sauce and Balsamic Vinegar Reduction.

We absolutely loved the goat cheese and crispy bread. Amazingly tasty, and a very good portion size too (a highly important fact for entree-skippers! :))

We had slightly mixed feelings about the Appetizer Combination, though: DH found the Jasmina Salad really bland and boring while I liked it, even though it did not taste especially exotic or oriental to me. Meanwhile, I did not care much for the beef rolls (dry pastry and very sparsely seasoned beef), but DH really enjoyed them.
The Chicken Bastilla, at least, we both liked :goodvibes.

A closer look at the Appetizer Combo:

P1060235.jpg

Halfway through our meal, a belly dancer came out and proceeded to dance cheerfully (and really very gracefully) to an almost empty restaurant:

P1060236.jpg

All in all, this was a beautiful setting and an enjoyable meal (even though I cannot rate entrees or desserts). It was a bit dark in there (which my pictures don't really convey correctly as they adjusted the light level), and it did feel slightly weird that it was so extremely empty. Apart from that, everything was good, though – and the mint tea was fantastic!

Coming up next: Shockingly even more lunch at the Food & Wine Festival …

The breakfast buffet at Cape May sounds really good - I think we'll do one big breakfast next trip so I'm deciding between that one or probably Crystal Palace.

The inside of Marrakesh is stunning. I just don't think Moroccan food is really my thing, I have yet to see any reports with a dish from here that really interested me. DH is interested though, so we may try it eventually!

wow, marrakesh is stunning. we will be on the qsdp next time and I'm already looking forward to eating at Tangierine Cafe, don't think we'll be splurging on TS there but the chicken platter was my favourite meal of our trip in 2006 and 2008

The breakfast buffet at Cape May sounds really good - I think we'll do one big breakfast next trip so I'm deciding between that one or probably Crystal Palace.

The inside of Marrakesh is stunning. I just don't think Moroccan food is really my thing, I have yet to see any reports with a dish from here that really interested me. DH is interested though, so we may try it eventually!

That's a difficult decision about the breakfast - I really like Cape May and its food, but if it is to be either this OR Crystal Palace, I would personally always choose Crystal Palace for the beautiful setting, and the fact that it is right inside MK and you get to walk along an almost-empty Main Street U.S.A. if you have an early enough reservation. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself whichever one you end up choosing, though!

And about Marrakesh: if you do not fancy their kind of food, would it work for you maybe to just walk in at a not-so-typical lunch hour and just share a salad or dessert, have a cup of tea or a soda and soak up the atmosphere? I bet you wouldn't have a problem getting a table for this even without a reservation!

wow, marrakesh is stunning. we will be on the qsdp next time and I'm already looking forward to eating at Tangierine Cafe, don't think we'll be splurging on TS there but the chicken platter was my favourite meal of our trip in 2006 and 2008

Whoops, our posts just crossed each other so I couldn't reply to yours in the first place!
Yes, actually I've heard so many good things about Tangierine Cafe that I definitely want to check it out on our next trip, too!

Annichan, I am so glad that you continued with your reviews! I would also love to read your DLP reviews (I always intended to some for my trip in March, but never got around...). I hope you enjoyed your trip there! :goodvibes

Like I mentioned in my previous post, we had some of these before and some after lunch at Marrakesh, but I will just group all of them together in this one entry.

Even though this was our last day, we did not have to leave for the airport until about 5.00 pm, which meant that we were able to have a really leisurely last half-day at Epcot until a bit after 3.00.

We spent that day almost entirely in World Showcase, strolling around in the glorious sunshine, taking lots of photos, sampling the food from the Food & Wine Festival booths (despite our lunch at Marrakesh …), hardly doing any rides at all but taking in all the detail, making rest stops at every little bench that appealed to us, window-shopping and enjoying ourselves immensely.

It was a wonderfully relaxed way to spend the day, I wasn't even sad about leaving (well, at least not until we were back at the hotel ;)), and it did us a world of good before starting the long journey home to Europe.

We had lots of snack credits left at this stage – I cannot really say how many there were, but the perfect way to spend them was the Food & Wine Festival :goodvibes. (And we did not even manage to get rid of all of them here – we had a few bottles of water and, I think, a couple of smoothies and iced teas on credits as well, but without taking pictures of them.)

This was our first experience at the Festival, and as we didn't really have a game plan, we just strolled around looking at the menus and stopped for a bite whenever something took our fancy.
As it was still so early in the day and we had to stay fit for the long journey ahead of us, we never sampled any of the alcoholic drinks, though. (Which I considered a real pity – I saw so many nice drinks I wouldn't have minded sampling! :rolleyes1)

Anyway, the first place that took our fancy was this:

P1060172.jpg

Greece! We really enjoy Greek food and often visit a Greek restaurant in our neighborhood back home.

We quickly decided to try two of their specialties:

P1060170.jpg

The Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki (left) and the Greek Salad with Pita Bread (right).
Both were quite nice! The portion sizes were rather small considering the prices, but we found that to be the case at almost all of the booths. We didn't really mind though, as after all we weren't paying out of pocket (not to mention the fact that we weren’t technically hungry anyway :upsidedow).

With just a few steps we managed to wander halfway around the world, as you can only ever do on Disney property:

P1060174.jpg

… to New Zealand! A wonderful country that I would love to see again, after visiting once 16 years ago (can't believe how time flies :scared1:).

Anyway, they must have been very popular, as two things were sold out already. What we wanted was still available, though:

P1060173.jpg

The Lamb Slider with Tomato Chutney.
Now, I hate to say it, since I really love New Zealand and all – but this was altogether rather boring, unfortunately. The lamb was nice in itself but hardly seasoned, the chutney tasted fresh but bland, and the breadroll was just dry. I guess the other, already-sold-out things were better. This did make a great Hidden Mickey, though! :thumbsup2

Hopping over oceans to foreign continents again, we soon got to the Brazil booth …

P1060176.jpg

… where I assure you I would never have left without a frozen Caipirinha if it had only been a few hours later in the day :cool:.
Instead, DH got us this to share:

P1060175.jpg

Shrimp Stew with Coconut and Lime.
Again, an especially tiny portion for $ 4.25, but ever so nice! Lots of lime on that one, I loved the fresh taste. (Not a lot of coconut on it, but we did not mind, it was great the way it was.)

Moving on to neighboring Argentina:

P1060177.jpg

Even here in far-away Germany, Argentina has a well-known reputation as the country of mouth-wateringly delicious beef (and as the cows are only or at least mainly fed grass, their meat is especially fat-free and tender, just the way I like it :love:).

There is an even greater beef lover in our family though, and that is DH. Once he had spotted the booth, there was no dragging him away from here until he had purchased and enthusiastically devoured this:

P1060178.jpg

The Grilled Beef Skewer with Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Purée.
I did get to try a little of it, and it. was. so. good. The beef was tender and juicy, the boniato (sweet potato) puree went with it perfectly, and so did the chimichurri sauce (which I had never tried before).

We seriously contemplated getting another serving, even though we were pretty much totally full by then – but then we decided to move on and see if there was something else we wanted at one of the next booths (the things you do when you know you'll be getting nothing but yucky airplane food soon … :sad2:).

And thus we came waddling to South Africa …

P1060209.jpg

… and started going about our jobs, namely, DH ordering food and me getting the camera warmed up to photograph what he got (don't I wish we could make a living out of that :lmao:):

P1060210.jpg

What he got us was this:

P1060212.jpg

South African Seared Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potato Purée.
And you know what? I realized that there was no way I could eat anymore, so I let DH have it all by himself :). And he liked it!

Oh, and then there was this one little country we passed on our way, where they sold stuff like this:

P1060220.jpg

No, we didn't actually eat anything here as we can have German food at home any day, but I simply HAD to take a picture of that book cover :lmao:.
I mean, please tell me that this is not the image that Americans most readily have of us Germans. (Or rather, please don't say anything, I am too afraid it may lead to my having to go buy myself a little hat with a feather :thumbsup2).

Anyway, there was no way we could have eaten another bite, so we spent the rest of our credits on water bottles, wandered around World Showcase Lagoon a while longer and eventually returned to our hotel, got our car, drove to the airport, boarded a plane, hung in the sky over the Atlantic, changed planes twice and finally ended up at home the next day, jetlagged but glad to have our deliriously happy cats assault us in welcome ("You’re BACK! We thought you'd NEVER! Hurry up and bring on the FOOD!").

And, speaking of food, this is it – the end of eighteen days of Disney Dining on sea and land.
What it's not, however, is the end of my report – I still have some final thoughts and a bit of a ranking to give you, which I shall get to this weekend.

So, coming up next and last: Our Best and Worst in Disney Dining …

Annichan, I am so glad that you continued with your reviews! I would also love to read your DLP reviews (I always intended to some for my trip in March, but never got around...). I hope you enjoyed your trip there! :goodvibes

Magdalene, you're back! Good to hear from you, I hope the two of you have had a fantastic trip! :banana:
I shamefully admit that I haven't had the time to look at your report at all lately, but I have just checked it and seen that you have only recently started your report. That's great, as I will have the time to read along now that I will no longer be busy writing my own! :thumbsup2

That said, I do think that I will write a DLP one (it will be much shorter and therefore not so much work), but it may take a while for me to get sorted first.

Oh, and then there was this one little country we passed on our way, where they sold stuff like this:

P1060220.jpg

No, we didn't actually eat anything here as we can have German food at home any day, but I simply HAD to take a picture of that book cover :lmao:.
I mean, please tell me that this is not the image that Americans most readily have of us Germans. (Or rather, please don't say anything, I am too afraid it may lead to my having to go buy myself a little hat with a feather :thumbsup2).

So - what is wrong with that picture??? Don't all Germans look like that??? They do here!!!

:duck:

:rotfl:

For anyone else: I live in Bavaria - and those people on the cover do wear Bavarian clothes. And while some people might dress like this for special occasions, it isn't really typical... :goodvibes

So - what is wrong with that picture??? Don't all Germans look like that??? They do here!!!

Okay, here we go - I warned you, but you've gone and said it. Now where's the next store? I need to get myself a hat with a feather asap :lmao:

I would recommend a trip to Munich and to go shopping at Loden Frey: http://www.lodenfrey.com/Trachten/Damen/ ;)

You may now well think me insane, but I actually kind of like the little dirndl dress with the pink ribbon! :goodvibes
The only thing I don't like about it is the price: 469 euros or roughly $ 645.00! :scared1:
I may just have to stick to buying the "Prost" book instead and be done with it ...

You may now well think me insane, but I actually kind of like the one with the pink ribbon! :goodvibes
The only thing I don't like about it is the price: 469 euros or roughly $ 645.00! :scared1:
I may just have to stick to buying the "Prost" book instead and be done with it ...

I think some of those Dirndls do look pretty neat! :goodvibes And growing up in Bavaria I am used to seeing them as festive attire now and then - and then of course everyone wears them for the Oktoberfest in Munich. So I won't think you are crazy. But I do agree on the price, they are very expensive!!

P1060220.jpg

[/I]

:lmao: I thought I saw you in some of your pics with that little feathered hat!!!! ... don't spoil American misconceptions please! (although with a "German" maiden name ... and an uncle that went to Germany often, we HAD the feather cap among other things) ...

Anyway ... just wanted to say I really have enjoyed your reviews - you looked like you had lots of fun. Also ... is that a picture of your kitty-cats? Only three ... you know it takes four to make a clowder of cats!!! :rotfl2:

Sorry off topic -- thanks for taking all the time to type your reviews ... and now I am hungry ... or my four cats are hungry ... I guess we are all hungry .. :thumbsup2

Love seeing the reviews of the F&W festival! Definitely a great thing to hit up with lots of snack credits. I think someday I'll have to go during that time of year and get the deluxe dining plan just so I can eat up everything there lol!

Loved your food review, as usual. You take great pics and your 'European' view of things interests me a lot. I also would love you to write up your recent visit to DLP.

Some Dirndls are actually really pretty (we see hoards of them in shops and on people (usually on Sundays) when on holiday in Austria and Bavaria) but I have no idea how someone of modest income could actually afford to buy them.

:lmao: I thought I saw you in some of your pics with that little feathered hat!!!! ... don't spoil American misconceptions please! (although with a "German" maiden name ... and an uncle that went to Germany often, we HAD the feather cap among other things) ...

Anyway ... just wanted to say I really have enjoyed your reviews - you looked like you had lots of fun. Also ... is that a picture of your kitty-cats? Only three ... you know it takes four to make a clowder of cats!!! :rotfl2:

Sorry off topic -- thanks for taking all the time to type your reviews ... and now I am hungry ... or my four cats are hungry ... I guess we are all hungry .. :thumbsup2

Yes, those three are my cats. And believe me, I would certainly have 4 by now if DH was willing to go along with it ;). No seriously, he is slightly allergic to cats so I am immensely happy that he is willing to tolerate the sniffling and let me have those three! :love:

Love seeing the reviews of the F&W festival! Definitely a great thing to hit up with lots of snack credits. I think someday I'll have to go during that time of year and get the deluxe dining plan just so I can eat up everything there lol!

And I was thinking the exact opposite - someday I'll have to go during that time of year when I'm not on the deluxe dining plan just so I won't be too full to sample everything! :lmao:

Loved your food review, as usual. You take great pics and your 'European' view of things interests me a lot. I also would love you to write up your recent visit to DLP.

Some Dirndls are actually really pretty (we see hoards of them in shops and on people (usually on Sundays) when on holiday in Austria and Bavaria) but I have no idea how someone of modest income could actually afford to buy them.

Thank you! I am definitely planning to write a DLP dining report (see my signature). I am hoping to get it started within the next couple of weeks ...

Having finished my review of all the restaurants we ate it, there is only one thing left for me to do on this thread (apart from thanking you all for reading along, of course! :flower3:):

I ended my last dining report with something like a final overview of all the restaurants I had reviewed, and some final thoughts - and I would like to do the same thing in slightly abbreviated form again here.

Just in case anybody is interested in comparing with what I thought after our last trip, these are the Best and the Worst from my last report! (It starts about a third of the way down the page; sorry, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to link to specific posts or paragraphs on a page :confused3).

So, here goes:

WHERE WILL WE RETURN AND WHERE WON'T WE?

Last year, I gave a whole list of places that we probably would not visit again. For the most part, though, those were restaurants that were not bad but that I simply wanted to skip in order to try something new and different for a change. Now that I am looking at a third trip to WDW in 2013 (and hoping to add more visits in the years to come! :lovestruc), I am no longer so certain that I may not end up back at those restaurants again. Therefore, I will only mention what has been our definite "Biggest Loser" restaurant:

Captain's Grille: Never again! :mad:
The long wait and the awful service may just have been a one-off, but the uninspired décor and mediocre food simply do not make me wish to give it another chance. (Mainly, though, DH hates it so much now that there is simply no chance I will ever get to drag him in there again, no matter what I say :lmao:).

I am sure that we will visit most of the other restaurants again at some point, but there are a few that I have planned as absolute "must-do-again’s" for our next trip:

Citricos: This was by far the most wonderful and enjoyable meal we had during our entire trip! Delicious food paired with very good wine, a nice but not too upscale décor (DH doesn't like it too stuffy) and impeccable service – to us, it doesn't get any better than that.

Sanaa: Something of a surprise runner-up to "best restaurant of the trip", as we had not expected it to be that good. Delicious, inspired and (for a theme park hotel setting) ethnic food, served with the most amazing view of roaming wildlife. Perfect.

California Grill: This was our winner during last year’s trip, and once again we enjoyed it very much. I wouldn't want to go to WDW without visiting here.

Kouzzina for breakfast: I may have mentioned this a couple of times already, so I probably need not say anymore :rolleyes1.

Le Cellier: This was our first visit to Le Cellier, and contrary to the many bad reviews I have been reading here on the DIS, we truly enjoyed the food, the wine, the setting and the service. We will definitely return here, although I may make sure to make a reservation at lunchtime to save one credit.

Trails' End: Not a fancy restaurant and really out of the way, but after two visits, this place has well and truly won my heart. Yummy food at (by WDW standards) bargain prices, in a Western and Wilderness setting that makes it so easy to just spend half a day or more sitting at the beach, renting a boat, going for a walk in the woods or riding the ferry around the lake. Love it!

Beaches and Cream
: A wonderful place, colorful and happy. Delicious smoothies and great burgers – I shall definitely have to make up for my blunder of not having any ice cream here next time. The only downside is that they do not take reservations, and unless you are staying in the Yacht and Beach Club, it is a bit out of the way to come here on the hope of getting a table without too much of a wait.

New places that we will try next time:

This is another category that I spoke about at the end of my last report, and I am happy to say that out of the seven places I had set my mind on to try, we managed to do five :woohoo:. Only Tokyo Dining and Teppan Edo remain as yet untried by us, and they are therefore once again on the most-do list for next time!

There is also one place that I absolutely, definitely, positively will want to try next time – and that is Victoria & Albert’s! Sure, the price is quite a bit steeper than at other WDW restaurants, but from all that I have heard about it, it is more than worth it. Now just to convince DH :thumbsup2…

Cheapest and most expensive meals:
I did mention those in my last report, but as I have foolishly already thrown out all the receipts, this category is a non-entity this time :confused3.

Coming up in just a minute: The best and worst food items ...

FOOD
This is all about the food - which dishes did I enjoy most, and which ones could I have most easily gone without?

Best appetizer:

Those mussels I had both at The Coral Reef and at Le Cellier were wonderful. However, there can only be one winner (hang on, didn’t I have three winners in some categories last year? Oh well …), and that has got to be the truly heavenly Yellowfin Tuna Tartare and Crispy Tempura Tuna-Vegetable Sushi Roll at Flying Fish Cafe:

P1060133.jpg

Appetizer I could most easily have gone without:
Not sure if this ranks as an appetizer or as a salad, and I also have to admit that there was technically nothing wrong with it, except from the fact that it was really boring …

P1040919.jpg

… but the Mozzarella and Tomatoes at Mama Melrose's are the sad little winner here.

Best salad:

Won hands-down by the Salad Sampler at Sanaa, both for taste and sheer variety (you get to pick three salads out of five offered):

P1050937.jpg

Salad I could most easily have gone without:
Behold the Goats Town at Raglan Road: looks great and is undoubtedly loved by many …

P1050548.jpg

… yet we were simply not made for each other. Way too much goats' cheese, to sweet and too heavy. :confused3

Best entree:
While last year I had three delightful fish dishes to decide amongst, this seems to have been the Year of the Steak. We have a tie, ladies and gentlemen!
At Le Cellier, I had the pleasure to have had the most wonderful mushroom filet mignon which went together perfectly with its side dish of green asparagus …

P1040800.jpg

P1040801.jpg

… while at the otherwise-not-so-memorable Narcoossee's, I got to enjoy a divine Grilled Filet Mignon with a rich, delicious Potato Gratin.

P1040992.jpg

High-caloric (and –priced) comfort food at its best, and it even came with some green veggies to lighten my conscience :thumbsup2.

Now, as I have already started with this indecisive mess of allowing ties, I simply have to mention the very best fish entrée I have had on this trip, and one of the best ever:

P1050658.jpg

The Grilled Atlantic Swordfish at Citricos was out of this world. And I even liked the risotto!

Entree I could most easily have gone without:

Not so many contenders for this one, fortunately: The Eggplant Catasta at Tony's Town Square (as beautiful as the restaurant itself may be, with great outdoor seating) was hands-down the worst: Limp penne, burned eggplant and otherwise bland taste. Sorry Tony, better stick to cooking spaghetti for dogs :lmao:.

P1040648.jpg

Best dessert:
I was going to name either the Fried Wontons at Yak & Yeti (just like last year) …

P1050210.jpg

… or the dessert combo we made for ourselves at Raglan Road by combining the Dunbrody Kiss chocolate mousse and the Market Street fresh fruit plate …

P1050549.jpg

P1050550.jpg

… but then I remembered that sometimes, the simplest things in life are also the best :lovestruc:

P1040770.jpg

Nothing quite like a Strawberry Smoothie at Beaches & Cream!

Dessert I could most easily have gone without:
Unfortunately for an otherwise great restaurant, this has to be the Coconut Mango Panna Cotta at California Grill. Bland and boring. Should probably have known better than to order a no-sugar-added dessert? :confused3

P1050450.jpg

Best breakfast:
I am quite tempted to name The Big Kahuna at Kona Café again, just like last year …

P1050290.jpg

… but taking the whole experience into account (even though the dish all by itself may have ranked a tad lower than the Big Kahuna), I just have to choose the Stacked Kouzzina Breakfast:

P1050738.jpg

Breakfast I could most easily have gone without:
Captain's Grille! Captain’s Grille! Captain's Grille! Even despite the strawberries! But I bet that this comes as a surprise to none of you … :rotfl:

P1050459.jpg

So yeah, this is definitely the end of this report. Thank you all so much for reading along, and for all your comments which I have loved to receive and read! I really hope that we will be able to go back to Disney World in the not-too-far future, be it with or without any kind of Dining Plan.

First, though, I have a little story to tell of what happened to two Germans when they dined Disney-style in Europe in 2011 ... coming soon to the DISboards! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter